How many gallons of gas does a barrel of crude oil make?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by desi, Mar 10, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, I did not mean to say that no one ever got hurt. I am sure people are hurt using gasoline as well. In my experience using natural gas in a commercial fleet of vehicles, we never had any injuries associated with using the natural gas. And since these were emergency vehicles, they occasionally were involved in some pretty good accidents. And the vehicles presented no special problems pre or post accident. They did not blow up.

It would be interesting to see what the safety rates are comaring natural gas to gasoline usage. I have to admit, using natural gas is different. And it may appear fearful to some folks. But then, how much are you willing to pay for that fear? For me, natural gas is just fine...especially when it is so much cheaper and much more eco friendly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

These numbers sound like they are not addjusted for additives. Additives add volume to the numbers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

These are percentages and they add up to 100%.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That is what I thought. We will just let the additive discussion end here.

8. new year Registered Member

It's my understanding that EXXON is the only company in the USA that is allowed to gather used motor oil & recycle it. Some years ago I considered collecting free used motor oil, and sell it to the oil refineries, but I was notified by E.P.A. lawyers that only EXXON had that license.

In any event, it appears that production of gasoline is barely profitable, unless, of course, the oil is nearly free, as in EXXONs' used oil monopoly example.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

With a little filtering you could use it as diesel fuel or heating oil.

10. wlminex Banned Banned

How's about using hydrogen for home heating . . . . granted a lot of appliance conversions and safety procedures must be in place . . . use solar to generate electricity . . . then electrolyze to get hydrogen (or Brown's gas) that is daily compressed and utilized for heating. . . . BTW: and you think natural gas and LP are a safety issue!!

11. brucep Valued Senior Member

The additives are not a component of crude oil. So they're not part of the API average barrel.