How long Can You Tread Water?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by KilljoyKlown, Oct 10, 2011.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I've tried to tread water in a pool for just one hour and that was really tough. I don't have a lot of confidence that I could do 20 hours even to save my life.

7 rescued, 1 dead after treading water for 20 hours off Florida

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44840738/ns/us_news-life/

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wlminex Banned Banned

Killjoy . . . .it's O.K. . . . I have been "treading water" for over 65 years! (humor!)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Is it true that fat helps you float better?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I don't know about now , but in my younger days we ( Me , my brothers , and some of our friends ) would swim across lakes . Pretty good size lakes . Five miles would be a pretty good figure . We would tread water to relax if we got tired of swimming . It is not unlike long distance running , or hiking . You go to were you want to go is the bottom line and you are only limited by how far you can go in a day . Hiking that is cause we would set up camp by night fall and sleep . Swimming I would like it to be warm summers days and find dry ground for the night . I might be hesitant to get right back in the water the next morning . We camped at a camp ground by Bodega Bay one time and it rained the whole time we were there . When we got back to Sacramento 5 days later even the sound of a shower was repulsive . All of us felt that way and the kids were like " No Not the shower " No not a bath " I am afraid of the water !!!

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Three women wearing life jackets clung to a cooler and took turns holding the 4-year-old, said Officer Robert Dube of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

"That definitely saved their lives," Dube told CNN. "It could have been a lot worse (of a) situation."

While the women clung to the cooler, three men in the group gripped onto their capsized boat. A son tried to hold onto his 80-year-old mother, but she slipped away in the rough waters, Dube said.

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-seven...izes-in-florida-keys-20111010,0,4020597.story

The boat they were in didn't sink at all, it was only upside down and they could all stay on the upside down boats hull fairly easily if the waters weren't that rough. The storm which capsized their boat was gone relatively quickly and the seas were much calmer for them to keep on the hull.

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

In the article I read they said the boat sank and nothing was said about any life jackets being worn. I don't even remember reading about the cooler. That's some pretty bad reporting. but I don't feel so bad now thinking a 4 year old could tread water longer than me.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's why I can't stand the media, for the most part, because they never seem to want to give you the facts but enjoy making a bad problem seem worse than it is.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can tread water in a pool for a long time (especially if wearing a life jacket). In the ocean I would have a panic attack and accidentally drown myself, life jacket or not

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I doubt it, breathing water is very painful. Enough so that if you want to panic you will do it while keeping your head above water.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is very easy to float on water, one can do it for days... Treading water (as in waterpolo) without a lifejacket is way harder than just floating or even swimming...

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Have you ever tried floating in the ocean before? If it's even mildly choppy, which it is more often than not, you will have a big problem.

15. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Ocean or pool water? It makes a difference.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Salt water or fresh is also important. Many pools have salt water put into them today down here to save the cost of fresh water being used.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

You under estimate my fear of whales

18. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Actually I think they just do that for larger pools because it is cheaper more sanitary and less irritating than chlorine. The pools are still filled with fresh water before the saline is added.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

True. In the ocean I have to fear for my life, so there is the extra adrenaline rush going on...

Also, in salty water it is easier to float, try the Dead Sea....

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

When I was a kid, I swam in the Salt Lake and you do float like a cork. But the ocean isn't even close to that and you don't float that easy in the ocean. Being in the water with no land in sight would be very depressing and hopeless.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The proper way to stay afloat with minimum energy expenditure is to lean back at an angle. That makes your face the highest thing on your body so very little of your body needs to be above water in order to breathe. Most people have enough body fat that in calm saltwater they can float with little or no supportive motion.

Of course the problem is that if your boat capsizes that means the water isn't calm. Still, keep your wits about you and lean back with your face out of the water, and it will minimize the effort you need to stay afloat. The less energy you expend, the longer you will last, and the greater the chance of surviving until someone comes looking for you.

While you're in that position you can scull slowly with your hands and/or paddle lightly with your feet, and make progress toward shore if there's one nearby

I haven't done much swimming in many years, but when I was a swimmer I could hold that posture for an hour and swim from a boat to the shore, without being sore or winded. I'm sure I could have held it for three or four hours without needing medical attention afterward, and probably longer than that.

But in rough water, with no life jacket, all bets are off.
    Whales (except for the sperm whale, which is more closely related to the dolphins than to baleen whales) are not predators, unless you're a krill--a shrimp-like crustacean about an inch long. They "graze" on them by sucking in a huge mouthful of water and then filtering it out through their baleen plates.

22. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Irreilvent, I can dead man float until I starve to death.

23. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

that is very profound whack o. I think i found something useful come out your mouth . Give your self a pat on the back bro you made it to the party ! Dead Man float !!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Can I use it in a song ? Don't sue Me if I do! That is a good band name too . I got to go google see if there is a band named that !

O.K. you should like this heathens : It is a song my Falcon something can't remember " Dead Mans Float" is the name of the song . Girls you got to go check it out . So true to as the way things are going . I really like the lyrics . A lot . Sounded like something I would except you know " They said it not me . Sounded a lot like my new life of Indian time though . You got Night and you got Day . The two times of the Brave

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011