How is world peace achieved?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Jason.Marshall, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

But before we get to world peace consider these thoughts below first.

What's the value of life if it's so easily taken away as a mere consequence of the process of existence, I extend this to all life not just human life?*

If survival of the fittest *is currently the major deciding factor on what lives or dies would life have more value if that power struggle that be did not exist? Or does that power struggle only exist to a less develop observer?

Or is it not about either life or death but only about the process of existence?could it be that life and death are lesser consequences to the cause that is the process?

So the answer to world peace is curing the environment because the environment is the process? But what Goliath strength of conscious energy it would take to tame the beast of the world. The process is the beast is the environment acting supposedly indiscriminately destroying anything or any life that's gets in the way.

So how is world peace achieved and what is the tangible benefits to the materialization of this desire? Could it be that the value and meaning of life is to cure the environment so life can be free from the consequences of the 'process' ushering in a utopia on earth?*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I reckon Gene Rodenberry had the right idea.....
    And I see it as essential if we are to explore space, the solar system, and beyond.
    The ISS is but a start in this cooporation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Make people happy. Be passive!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Be as gentle as doves and as wise as serpents.

cosmictotem likes this.
  8. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

These are two separate issues. Even if we had world peace among humans, we would still have death, and there's nothing wrong with that. Life needs death to create space to live. Our propensity for war is due to our having evolved as territorial apes who happen to be good at making weapons. I doubt this dynamic will change unless we change our biology in some fundamental way, which I think is possible.

10. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

As a thought experiment, imagine a maximum security prison. Each inmate is kept isolated in a steel room with no contact with other prisoners or guards. Meals are passed in through a slot in the door.

Now the inmates did not do anything bad. They are simply citizens in a totally peaceful society. Nobody is ever physically hurt, nobody is ever attacked or damaged in any way. There is no war, there is no conflict. It's totally peaceful all the time.

But such a system is horrible. It's the opposite of everything humans value.

Freedom is messy. If people are allowed to run free, sometimes they'll hurt each other.

So you see that peace in and of itself is not a very good objective. You can create a peaceful society by locking everyone up. Freedom is messy.

We see this played out every day in the US. Everyone wants to be "safe" so they submit to more and more restrictions on their liberty. In the end, nobody is safe and nobody is free.

"Peace at any price" is a dystopian nightmare.

11. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

I cannot see humanity in it's present physiological, cultural and psychological state achieving world peace, or any long term peace. To say we are a contentious species is a gross understatement. Our species history can attest to short lived bouts of relative calm, only for those calms to give way to the storms of bloody wars, armed conflict and social unrest. I can agree with spidergoat's proposition of trans-humanism and taking control of our own evolution as a method to curtail our more baser instincts and self-destructive behaviors.

As an individual i find myself alternating between being sympathetic towards human kind or being a misanthrope, often times when i am feeling a twinge of sympathy for humans, it's usually because i haven't been around them for a while.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  12. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

By realizing that the world is already at peace. This is a choice that is ultimately up to the individual. The fallacy is when one tries to change the world around them. This is equivalent to chasing a rainbow.

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well said. Peace is certainly a good thing, but there are worse things than war.

14. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

It's hard not to see the truth in what many of you are saying. World peace can never be a reality, yet we must never ever stop striving. As Boy George of Culture Club so eloquently sang:
    "War is stupid!"

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Obviously this can only happen when humans finally break the shackles of religion.

Religion is an outdated artifact of the Paleolithic Era, the "Early Stone Age." It teaches every tribe that they are just a little bit better than all the other tribes, because only they have the true "word of God." This gives them license to treat their neighbors as inferiors, even killing them if there's no other way to give them "the word."

Religion is waning in large swaths of the developed world, particularly western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. The same trend began in the USA in the 1960s, as part of the "counterculture" which also brought us civil rights, women's liberation, the environmental movement and many other modern ideas. Unfortunately near the end of the 1970s the Religious Redneck Retard Revival happened, and millions of former hippies began going to church. Not just "church," but fundamentalist Christian churches, the ones that deny evolution and think women should be baby-making machines.

These are the congregations that feel tremendous animosity toward other religions. The other Christian churches are "bad" enough--Catholics, Presbyterians, Mormons, etc. But their antipathy to people who are not Christians is frightening. They have particular animosity toward the Muslims, right at a point in history when Islam is growing in population, power and anger. Pakistan has nuclear weapons, and (contrary to the lies perpetrated by Backward Baby Bush) 9/11 was orchestrated by Saudi Arabians with their enormous petroleum wealth.

The only other religion that the RRRs aren't too hard on is Judaism. This is hard to explain, especially since antisemitism was widespread in the USA until WWII, although admittedly we never gassed any of them or burned down their shtetls. It's been said that Americans identify with the Jews because our founders were in religious exile from their original countries and had to build their own "promised land" here. So somehow Israel got to be America's 51st state without anybody being able to vote on it.

Anyway, the Electronic Revolution is slowly chipping away at all of these inter-ethnic quarrels. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that today everyone is only a few pushes of a button away from everyone else. And the exceptions prove the rule, because most of the violence is in places like Afghanistan where most people don't have cellphones, much less Facebook. Even Americans and Iranians know that we don't really hate each other, it's just our shit-for-brains governments who keep trying to make us believe that we are enemies.

So the answer to your question is twofold. World peace will be achieved in two ways:
    • Attrition of religion. It's already underway in most of the advanced countries, so it's reasonable to assume that as the rest of the world advances, the same will happen there.
    • The "wired" planet. When we no longer regard people five thousand miles away as nothing more than anonymous abstractions, but instead we send each other graduation announcements, birthday cards, recipes, music, and photos of our children.
    I'm 70 so I probably won't live to see this, but it could very easily come to pass in the lifetime of you younger members.

Since I'm closer to the end of my life than most of you, let me answer that: Life has been wonderful!
    • I'm a musician so I'm utterly delighted to live in an era when I can hear professionally composed and performed music anywhere, at any time.
    • Science has made life richer and easier in so many other ways, like being able to travel from Los Angeles to Prague to see the land of my ancestors on my 30th birthday. I have a car and don't have to travel by horse and buggy. Movies, TV, websites, there's a cornucopia of news, entertainment and socialization out there. Foods from a hundred cultures.
    • I have lots of great friends.
    • I have a great job as a writer, using my favorite skill and they pay me to do it!
    • And of course there are vaccines, antibiotics and all kinds of medical tricks that make my life comfortable.
    Sure, there are lots of people whose lives aren't as great as mine. Nonetheless, with every passing decade, the number of people living in poverty is reduced dramatically, and the number of people killed by government violence or "war" has also been dropping precipitously, although unfortunately not monotonically. I support charities and political organizations that help them, but I also feel a sense of accomplishment that there are a lot fewer than when I was born--right in the middle of WWII, which killed fully 3% of the entire planet's population!

I can't figure out if you're talking about all life or just human life. Survival of the fittest is certainly not the major deciding factor for our species, just look at Stephen Hawking!

I can't deny that our species has been a little rough on many non-human species of animals, but the environmental movement is turning a corner. As people become more prosperous, the environment becomes a commodity that we're willing to pay for. There are major campaigns to save the rhinos, the elephants and the whales. Brazil has just about halted the shrinkage of their rainforest, and ours in the USA is already expanding.Some of the angrier members of our civilization are even ready to use lethal force against poachers and whalers! The next person who clubs a seal will probably be found at the bottom of a lake, and even the stoic Chinese are starting to complain about pollution.

The environment is not a beast. Sure, ice ages are a natural cycle and as the current one comes to an end over the next few centuries we're going to have to figure out how to move our coastal cities, where the majority of us live, about 50 miles inland. But hey, we're the guys who left footprints on the Moon! There's nothing we can't accomplish with our Buck Rogers technology.

Despite the uptick in religious fighting in the Middle East (much of which is actually political rivalry disguised as religious rivalry anyway), my earlier statement still holds true: fewer people are killed by government-sponsored violence every decade. And yes, the Taliban is a governmental organization created by Jimmy Carter to fight the nasty Russians; they have merely lost the country they used to govern.

I'm going to limit my universe of discourse to intelligent life, if you don't mind. I can't see any way to apply this argument to plants, fungi, algae, bacteria and archaea, the other five kingdoms of organisms beside animals.

And I will be a little brusque with entire taxa of animals that don't have a sufficiently complex anatomy to think or feel, including worms, starfish, etc.

Let's limit it to the chordates, the animals with spines and brains: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and cartilaginous fish. If you want to throw in the arthropods (insects, spiders, centipedes, lobsters, etc.) because they seem to have a more-than-primitive nervous system, okay.

If you're willing to make this compromise from your original premise, which I find impossible to work with because it raises more questions than it can possibly answer, I'll go for it.

16. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

If you had the chance would you live for a 1000 years more to see a partial realization of the environment bieng cured? We are in a new era dawning when technologies such as nanotech and stem cell regeneration might very well make this possible, but is that part of the meaning of life? Because if it isn't things as such will cease to exist as simply interference to the objective message. You seemed to live a rich life with many life experiences but the meaning of life your life included will always go back to curing the environment and the part you are playing in this quest at this very moment is by sharing your life wisdom with the rest of us that may become enlightened just because something you said here. But curing the environment supersedes all other things in the third dimension becase life does not originate from the third dimension that is why we have a thing called growth a simulation of data transmitted from a higher dimensional source that must fit in a lower energy space creating the illusion of time. Time and space only exist to third dimensional observers in higher energetic realms things simply happen without the electron pen that write this realm into existence. Time is a creation of the perceptive third dimensional bieng but not an objective reality in a fully determined realmed with no probability so we are all living forever right now and always will be. This is all my opinion knowledge obatianed from my meditative thoughts so I do not claim this as any scientific theory or predictions just the best inference I can make from my current level of subjective awareness using objective cues. So this is why I think curing the environment is the meaning of life and will enevitably lead to world peace for all life forms even if it's sopposed to take a million years from the perspective of a third dimensional observer.

17. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

It's impossible.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

Hehe.

For many it is, at least for a time. For others it isn't. It just depends on the individual.

19. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

Rest In Peace...

20. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I think the idea that religion is to blame for the violence committed in its name misses the point.

Religion is a system of belief created by man to help him gain some sense of understanding and control. As was aptly illustrated by the Soviet Union, we are perfectly capable of creating new systems of belief devoid of any supernatural components which, nonetheless, can be used to justify war, or torture, or pretty much any atrocities our noble leaders believe to be necessary for them to keep their grip on power.

Man is not violent because he is religious, religion is violent because it is practiced by man.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  22. river

Spread the Wealth ( dollars )

From local to the world as a whole

When you lift the poor and extreme poor , to the real possibility of a better future , they will have a better attitude towards themselves , family and others

And the wealthier the World's people are , the better off we all are

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Peace nay! Harmony ... perhaps? Is peace the same as harmony?
    Is a harmonious existence the same as a peaceful one?