How is first life created?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Joeman, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I am not aware of another thread like this exist, so I am going to start a new one.

I am wondering do we know how the first simple organism is created yet? I remember when I was a young child, I heard about scientists who tried to create a simple organism by creating an aritificial early earth environment with exact atmospheric composition, a protein soup, lightning strikes, and etc... but still can't form any kind of simple organisms.

Do any of you know anything new in this topic?

I recalled someone theorized that the first organism is not formed on earth but maybe another planet. There is a big difference in complexities between proteins and the oldest single cell organism found. If that is the case, scientists can't create life because there are missing steps they don't understand.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

Joeman:

We can't create life because we do not have the millions of years and billions of gallons of chemicals that it took.

As for whether life came from outer space, it's possible, but Ockham's razor makes it the less desireable choice.

Life had to evolve somewhere, and all that the hypothesis of alien origen does is move the "somewhere". It makes things more complex, as well, and all this without any evidence supporting it.

More on the origen of life

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

The only correct answer to this question is, for now, "we don't know".

Oh, and being that the sun is not a first generation star, the "first" organism almost certainly did originate elsewhere. Whether that organism had any relation whatsoever to life on Earth is so unlikely as to be rendered impossible.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

By making love!!!

8. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

But isn't our very existence so unlikely as to be 'rendered impossible'????

9. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

Who cares what happenned millions of years ago. Can the biologists tell us when life is triggred ON the womb.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

lotus:
    A belated welcome to Sciforums.

How so?

Jamshed:

And a "welcome to sciforums" to you, too.

Good question. Defining what life is and when life begins is a bit tricky. Some define life as "anything that can reproduce and hold out against entropy".

By that logic, life begins when a fetus can live outside the womb.

11. overdoze human Registered Senior Member

By that logic, you'd have to wait 'till puberty to be counted "alive" (and women after menopause...sorry!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Hmmm... castration = murder

I like!

Crystals? Photons in a laser?

Hmmm.... Not that I have a better definition myself, to be honest. Maybe it has to be capable of evolving or accumulating information?

12. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

Thank you for the welcome Xev!

Well, the possiblities for all these trillions(to the trillionth power) of atoms coming together in THIS spot with the perfect conditions such as to create a place for us to exist. And then for atoms to come together to create life. I imagine that you understand what I am getting at. The likelyhood of our existence is really a non-possibility using a staticians point of view applied to our current understanding of how it was all 'created'.

...don't know where I'm going with this.

13. BobG Registered Senior Member

Actually I think they have just found the substance that triggers life in the fertilized egg

14. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

Is it chemical, physical or divine? Where does that substance come from? So you have to find the origin of the origin.

Chee5rs.

15. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome, Xev!!!
    Yes, but then the Test Tube just is in the physical place of the womb. What about the trigger? That takes place by the interaction of the egg with the sperm and those are still natural. When natural do these ingredients have a divine dimension in them?

16. Don H Registered Senior Member

The protein you now speak of pertains to the sperm and its chemical trigger that simultaneously tells the egg to seal off the outer wall to all other "comers" and begin the fertilization process allowing the sperm to enter the inner nucleus.

17. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

But the selection of a particular soer cell is still not explainable.

18. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

I missed asking you about the writing on Zarathustra which was tagged with your message. What is iits source?

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums, Jamshed F. Mehta.

Given the topic prehaps you would be interested in this:

Molecular "spark of life" discovered

The molecule that triggers the fertilisation of a mammalian egg and prompts it to begin growing and dividing has been discovered. The identification of this "spark of life" is significant for work on infertility treatments, male contraceptives and cloning, researchers say.
    It was known that immediately after an egg and sperm fuse, a wave of calcium ions sweeps through the cell, triggering fertilisation. But scientists have spent the last decade trying to discover what triggered this calcium release.
    Tony Lai, of the University of Wales College of Medicine, tackled the problem by taking a candidate enzyme, PLC-zeta, and injecting it into unfertilised eggs. He immediately saw the wave of calcium sweep through the cell. The egg cell then began to divide and grow as if it had been fertilised

For the rest of the article: Here

20. Jamshed F. Mehta Registered Member

Thanx for the welcome.
    Good site at the article.
    Cheers.