how good is windows xp?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by OmegaSeven, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

KM get an XP proffessional edition,you"ll have everything compatible,virtually everything...

true that during setup it doesnt recognize various scanners,digi cams etc,but dont worry,they"ll work after the setup program.i had a problem when setup told me that my camera wont work,but did work properly even after the warning,it has various compatibility issues with mp3 players like rio where it gives stupid .vxd file errors but there s no need to panic,as it will work with all those shits about file missing etc.

xp prof is KOOL.it is so stable,i would say a true combination of Me and NT.

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jim Henley Registered Member

I must respectfully disagree that you should not worry about your scanner not working with XP. I have read many reports of people being unable to use their scanners. That isn't to say that NO scanners will work with it. The makers of my One-Touch scanner have stated clearly that they will not update the driver for XP. They have, however, done so for more recent models. BTW, my Kodak DC215 digital camera installed and works fine. Intel sent me a new XP compatible CD for my USB Play microscope. It now works, too.

I am using XP Professional. According to MS documentation, there will be no differences in product compatibility between the professional and home versions. The professional version apparently includes some network-aware configuration capabilities for managing groups of XP machines ... that sort of thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

well i said that because during setup it prompted me by saying that my EPSON scanner will not work,so better uninstall the driver,but i didnt.then later on it worked and now working nicely.
    Home edition as i have used... i found pretty unstable on my Gateway pc.it freezes quite often.

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jim Henley Registered Member

Yes, my XP Professional installation has been very unstable, too. However, I have very gradually brought it to stability by:
    1) replacing my power supply - it was unable to support my Thunderbird 1.33 ghz CPU reliably - my mistake
    2) I removed my PINE nVidia TNT2 M64 4x AGP video card and installed a much older Trident PCI card with only 8 megs of RAM.

I can only assume that the driver for my PINE card isn't truly compatible with XP, even though it claims to be.

It is very, very difficult to seperate problems with drivers from problems with the OS. I have found this to be true of Windows, the MAC OS and Unix system (including Solaris). It's a painful part of computing life.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the home version of XP.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Staff Member

Help! I was voting in a poll about on line news in 2009 and got sent back in time to this thread from 2001! Now where'd I leave that flux capacitor?.........

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Occasionally the residual flux effect causing instability in the submebrane matrix which causes threads of yesteryear to appear when ejected from voting on a poll. It's no serious problem (apart from the winning numbers of the lottery thread) as for the most part your vote will have been tallied, you'll just have to search the post you've misplaced or remember to use the back button.

(Technically it's down to some internal numeric error which is usually updated every so often, moving/deleting posts/threads is usually the root cause of this phenomena. Plazma just needs to "Synchronise" the site again.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.