How exactly does salt increase blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by visceral_instinct, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

So the only bad thing about having low BP is being dizzy upon standing? That's it?
    Yeah for me!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SAM you forgot the part where angiotensin causes the .... loop (sorry cant think of the name off the top of my head) to close off compleatly, which stops water from being absorbed into the filtrate

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You missed out on the reduced oxygen supply to the brain.

But heh, any deviation from the normal is abnormal.

You mean aldosterone; thats another hormone from the kidney [adrenal glands, technically]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Thats only if its caused by low BP on the stroke volume side. If its caused by bradicardia thats WAY more serious. Futher more your wrong in the seriousness of low BP. if the BP is to low it can cause brain and heart damage in that they arnt getting enough O2 and other nutrients. Lastly it can be a symptom of failing kidneys because the base level of water to filtrate is maintained by plasma protineens which are to large to get through the membraine and there by make sure of a certain level of solute in the blood. When the kidenys start to fail (for instance through diabities) the membraine breaks and these protineens can flow through into the filtrate.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I missed it because I have low oxygen in my brain.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Generally reduced oxygen perfusion is not a good idea. It means reduced nutrient supply and reduced focus, attention span and a generally sub-par performance. Low cardiac output is also not good. It affects the volume and frequency with which blood is pumped by the heart and hence reaches other parts of your body and can lead to congestive cardiac failure. Poor vessel tensor can lead to varicose veins [though its more genetic than acquired]. In any case, if you feel lightheaded, you should get it checked out regularly, doctors are apt to miss stuff on irregular check ups.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

most seriously it can lead to renal failure as the kidneys constantly struggle to compensate and eventually fail. It can also lead to mussle wasting and other long term arosal related injuries, including failing of the immune system

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

There are other things that can drive up blood pressure too. A good wench always drives up my blood pressure. So why is it that women are not bad for your health but salt is? They both drive you your blood pressure!

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

one is a temporary diversion of blood flow, the other is a systemic problem. Ill let you work out which is which

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I get those quite easily, only it's not actual dizziness, just a head rush.

14. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

The precise mechanisms are as of yet unknown. The majority of data tying salt intake with blood pressure are derived from association studies. Mouse models which fail to secrete sodium efficiently provided further evidence of the link. AFAIK the current model assumes that a high sodium concentration combined with potassium deficiency has an effect on vascular smooth muscle cells and vasodilation. Again, most of the data is derived from association studies.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

CharonZ, you sure about that?
    my A&P book was quite specific about the problems salt causes in the kidneys which cause reabsorbsion of water there by raising BP.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

A medical herbalist (I know, I know...don't ask)told me that salt also over stimulates the adrenals...could that be how it affects the ANS?

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what's the difference.

What is the head rush like?

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Head rush = blood draining from the head, visual distortion.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so why isn't it a head drain instead of a rush? I thought a head rush was all the blood rushing to the brain. That's what I thought was happening to me.

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

because you feel it as a rush like sensation, I suppose.

21. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Asguard, actually I am pretty sure. I cross read a couple of reviews regarding this topic (some came out just this year). No one referred to specific studies that would provide direct links. The closest one was the mouse model. How old is the textbook?
    The reverse is true, though. Certain mutations resulting in the inability to get rid of the salt can increase the chance of higher blood pressure.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

3 years old i think. dont have it in front of me but im pritty sure its a 2005 eddition

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its an association [correlation is not causation]. But mechanisms are still unknown. The problem with functional studies in nutrition is the confounding effect of other nutrients and interaction effects.