How environmentally friendly is nuclear energy?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duendy Registered Senior Member

you hubris is truly mindblowin. but i still will never trust you, of course

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Nobody says that it has to stay in the same place for millions of years.
    I bet in a few thousand of years it will all be dumped in some crater on Mars or something.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

hah, well shit that figURES...lets dump our toxic shit in the universe
    thers nooo stoppin ya is there?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

We are in the universe, remember, even on earth,
    actually we are the universe and so is uranium and nuclear waste,
    and so are 100% natural supernova explosions releasing gamma rays (radiation) that could boil down our atmosphere in seconds.

And technically humans themselves are radioactive waste products of the processes that made (now exploded) stars shine.
    a few thousand tons of extra radioctive material on Mars won't change anything.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Safer to put it in the sun. My grandhildren want to live on Mars.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Sun is too far away. Can we opt for Venus? I'm sure nobody would want to live there.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

No, I plan to terraform Venus starting in 2110. The sun will work fine. Run the stuff up in one of the space elevators and hurl it sunwards.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If you will be able to terraform Venus I'm sure a few thousand tons of nuclear waste are the least of your worries.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The main problem is the lack of water. Thank heavens for the Oort cloud.

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

you views are truly weird and frightning and...stuuuupid
    IF we were so 'naturally radioactive', explain the genetic damage, cancers and other horrors got from radioactive poisoning?
    and of course your unknowing insistance that radioctive caskets can 'protect' Nature and us from radioactive toxicity

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Nuclear waste doesn't mean it has to be harmful to life.
    Atoms other than helium and hydrogen are produced in stars in a fusion reaction (the same reaction ITER will try to replicate). Humans and everything you see around that is made of matter are these heavier atoms created in stars, i.e. atoms that are nuclear waste products of nuclear fusion reacitons.
    Being a waste product from a nuclear reaction doesn't mean you emit deadly rays.

---
    edit: Alas I give it to you that I made a typo, we are nuclear waste products, but we are not wholly radioactive. Radioactive are only the unstable atoms that are decaying into a more stable form

------------
    Here, found a table for you ->

<strong>Radioactivity of some natural and other materials</strong>
    <table cell="" padding="3" border="1"><tbody><tr><td>1 adult human (100 Bq/kg)</td><td> 7000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg of coffee</td><td> 1000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg superphosphate fertiliser</td> <td> 5000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>The air in a 100 sq metre Australian home (radon) </td><td> 3000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>The air in many 100 sq metre European homes (radon) </td><td> 30 000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 household smoke detector (with americium)</td><td> 30 000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>Radioisotope for medical diagnosis </td><td> 70 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>Radioisotope source for medical therapy </td><td> 100 000 000 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg 50-year old vitrified high-level nuclear waste </td><td> 10 000 000 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 luminous Exit sign (1970s) </td><td> 1 000 000 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg uranium </td> <td> 25 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg uranium ore (Canadian, 15%) </td><td> 25 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg uranium ore (Australian, 0.3%)</td><td> 500 000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg low level radioactive waste</td> <td> 1 million Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg of coal ash </td><td> 2000 Bq</td></tr> <tr><td>1 kg of granite</td> <td> 1000 Bq</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

http://www.uic.com.au/ral.htm

16. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

australia is deploying new wind propellers (in its windiest areas), they are HUGE, and apparently you don't want to live near them because they generate some noise,
    but apparently they are quite cost efficient.

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

That lumious exit sign is scaring me...

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

No shit! That sign probably was shining from pure radioactive menace.
    One can hope it was sealed like hell and/or gave away just alpha rays.. :/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  19. Singularity Banned Banned

20. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

Are you retarded? Cleaning up the waste and storing it deep underground doesn't make it a clean fuel?!?!?! It just means that people are taking necessary measures to prevent contamination.. Your question was "is it a clean fuel" and the answer is obviously no because from fission you get radioactive actinides.

Case and point.

21. Singularity Banned Banned

Did U clicked my image links, USA has found unique way of getting rid of Nuclear waste.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And fossil fuels don't pump out radioactive waste? And fossil fuels don't pollute the atmosphere? Now you could argue that these outputs could be controlled, but they are not. Only the nuclear industry systematically controls and deals with its waste products.
    Avatar stated that nuclear was cleaner than fossil. That is true.

Case and point.

23. Singularity Banned Banned

Use Bio fuel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.