How does the brain interpret our 3-D world when we switch eye inputs?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by matthew809, Jul 12, 2016.

1. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

3-D vision is an abstraction that our brain recreates in our heads from 2 different 2-D images(left and right eye). The brain processes the deviations between each image to make a best guess at how the world around it should be perceived, in 3-D. So what happens when those separate images are artificially switched before entering our eyes(ie. from using 3-D goggles). Our brain is still receiving the same images, but the expected parallax deviation is reversed in each eye. How does the brain interpret what it sees? I assume that there have been many experiments done on this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. It is very hard to resolve, since the eyes will continually go out-of-sync, resulting in double-vision, but if you can hold on to it for a while, it looks lke things are inverted. Big things are far away, small things are nearby.

Don't forget, one confounding (or mitigating) factor: you can only focus on one small spot at a time, so everything outisde that focus will appear double.

Some photo forums I frequent post their pics in 3D format - one pic with 2 images side-by-side, each from slightly different angles.

There's two ways to do this:
    1] "wall-eyed" - your sightlines from each eye are parallel (left eye sees left pic, right eyes see right pic)
    2] "cross-eyed" - your sightlines cross (left eye sees right pic, right eyes sees left pic)

They prefer cross-eyed for some reason. So they put the left-eyed mage on the right of the pic, and the right-eyed pic on the left.

I grew up with wall-eyed, so when I look at their pix, they look sort of inside out. It's very difficult for me to employ the cross-eyed method.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.