How does it feel to be poor?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by lixluke, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Everyone who has babies living with them doesn't get WIC automatically?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No, you have to sign up for it and meet certain income requirements. I was opposed to welfare, so my wife signed up without telling me. I only found out when I noticed she was suddenly buying a lot of cheese and juice {the WIC programs gives you vouchers for cheese, juice, and baby formula}. After some arguing, she finally canceled it once I found out it was a form of welfare.

Considering all the taxes I pay now, I should have milked that program for all it was worth. Oh well, I was raised to not accept handouts. I mean, what kind of Republican would I be if I was on Welfare?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The government won't allow us to go to welfare. And they pretty much require us to pay over $1,000 per month. We're in Canada, btw...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes, I have quite similar feelings. We never had money when I was young. We were the only family in my street that didn't have a car for instance. My father was unemployed for most of my later childhood life. My mother just worked as a cleaning lady to make ends meet. But we always had food. We always had the essentials.

Later when I was a student I had to work during my free time to make ends meet. And I could only make them meet by living a sparse life.

Now I still don't have a car. Or a big shiny TV. Or a glorious career. I'm just a scientist. Salary is not that good. But it's enough for the essentials. Even for raising a family. Shame that it won't last of course. A scientific career is most of the times a dead-end.

---------

The reaction to a poor youth can also have the opposite reaction. Some cannot stand it. They need to compensate in later life for the lack of money in their childhood years.

I can basically do what I need to do. That's enough. Don't need to be rich.

----------

That said, there is no reason for extreme differences. Especially if the necessity to be stinking rich is just a artificial need induced by an artificial environmennt.

Nobody needs a billion to be happy. Nobody should have a billion. Especially since money can make you more equal in the modern social structure.

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

a republican that needed a little extra help.
    there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you dont abuse the system.

9. sniffy Banned Banned

Of all the people I've met, the happiest and most generous with what little they had were those who would be considered poor by any modern standard you care to impose. However that said extreme poverty is neither dignified nor desirable and should and could be eliminated. conspicuous consumerism is not sustainable and we might learn something from Baron Max about how we can live on less much less....and maybe even be happier to boot (although he doesn't come across as being that happy).

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

...LOL! It's difficult for me to type sometimes because I'm laughing so hard! IF it weren't for the humor at this place, I wouldn't even be here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You are a servant. How pathetic. You serve serve and serve, and get paid crap. You do the actual work, and get paid shit. Meanwile, the rich don't have to do any of that nonsense, and make alot more money than that.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Because that is what equal justice is about. That is what human rights are for. All individuals are to be treated fair under law. 2 people committing the exact same crime should get the exact same trial and exact same punishment.

That is how the idealists created the constitution of this country.

Regarding economics, You claim it is ok to be poor, and do all the work that supports your rich masters pockets. That is slavery. It is not slavery when those that do the service get paid properly. Instead, they get paid the least of all.

13. sniffy Banned Banned

Aaw Baron Max I knew you was just a rich old dude all along. A lot of the humour is unintentional I suspect. Still stand by what I said about living on less but you can give up your Porche first!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Is this some kind of joke?
    A job? Losers get jobs.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Indeed...

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

There are people in this world that have millions and billions of dollars. Yet there is poverty on this planet. This is impractical. They should be stripped of their funds whic should be diverted to the poor.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Maybe they should also be re-educated.

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

And how would you go about re-distributing wealth?

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Indeed...

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Indeed.

21. sderenzi Banned Banned

I think being poor just makes you want to kill everyone around you, thus you'll become a postal worker and go nuts shooting everyone. I'd like to point out sometimes being poor makes life easier, you find an inexpensive place to live, only buy what you really want, it's kinda easier then living everyday working for more money when it really never accomplishes much. I'd rather have fun playing online, chatting, and stuff then going to Europe on vacation but always worrying if next year I can afford it.

22. John99 Banned Banned

i've been rich and i've been poor but i've never been a whore. ha ha ha ha ha

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

This is not true.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006