How does evolution actually happen

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Dudeyhed, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Dudeyhed Conformer Registered Senior Member

so then evolution reduces the gene pool?

and how does that explain the different number of chromosomes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

My dad gets free books because he works at a publishing company, he just brought a fancy looking chrome one home called The evolution revolution by Ken McNamara and John Long.
    Anyone heard of it? Is it worth reading? I feel I should probably learn more about evolution considering I fully accept the theory already. I hate getting into arguments without having any facts other than the fact that is "we were not created by a crazy god you moron!" . Evolution is obvious, but I could use some help explaining how its obvious to people without the ability to look outside.
    This book is kinda big though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*sigh* confliction

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

more genes means more variety to chose from...variety is good otherwise there is nothing to select from. More genetic material gives more options for complexity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The only book I can find on the net with that title talks about the future of human evolution and its dangers... Basically a book I would love to read. Here is the book summarized in comic form:

If this is not the book you’re talking about please give us a better description and a link or two so we can get you armed for combat against it.

8. Deist27 Registered Senior Member

Mu sympathy

I sympathise with your confusion.

Therefore here is THE conclusion of the evolution subject so you will always know what to expect,

You will never understand evolution. No one ever will understand evolution becsue it is not supported by the truth. You must BELIEVE in evolution witn all your heart soul and spirit. Then you will be given As in class and move up the acedemic ladder into the preisthood of the educational elite.

Don't feel stupid or ignorant that you will always have a lack of understanding. It is not your fault. Simply take it on faith and move up in the religious hiarchy.

9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Or you could ignore Diest and actually try and learn it. Unless you want to turn out like him

Just throwing you arms up and saying "i can't learn" is a very bad excuse.

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Man, I wish it was that book

Its just about standard evolution I think, its chrome in color so it looks awesome and there is a skull on the front and because its chrome you can see your own face mirrored on the skull sort of.
    I don't know what else to tell you, aaaah illustrated by danielle west, published by john wiley & sons ..... aaaaah its chrome...

11. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Re: Mu sympathy

there is not that much to learn in order to understand evolution. The best book ever written about it is still 'On the origin of species' by Charles Darwin. If we are going to recommend books i recommend that one. Even though it is old it is still very readable, unlike some other scientific texts from that era.

13. Deist27 Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Mu sympathy

Darwins book has been systematically disproven. Even scientist no longer teach evolution that way

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

have you read it?

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No it hasn't... thoguh we have worked out the many details that darwin did not have at the time.

Deist27, May I ask a personal question: Why do you dislike the theory of evolution? Do you feel is invalidated god, the bible or something else?

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

<i>The Origin of Species</i> is a tour de force. Although Darwin knew nothing of the mechanisms which drive variation, he nevertheless presented a brilliant exposition of the principles of natural selection. He was meticulous in supporting his arguments with examples. He knew he would need many examples and illustrations to convince people that his theory was valid, and he spent many years personally gathering evidence.

The time between Darwin and now has been filling in the gaps. The structure of the theory of evolution was brilliantly laid out in its first publication, and remains as valid today as it ever was.

17. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

reply to James R

more than just filling gaps. darwinian evolution- pre and post synthesis-is currently under revision as it incorporates non-adaptational evolution, hierarchical selection (from genes up to clades) and non-gradual evolution in macro-evolution.

a good book (please don't be daunted by its size) is The Structure of Evolutionary Theory by S.J. Gould.

If you are daunted by its size, the first chapter is a good abstract for the whole book.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

the revisions are minor... the basic premise of evolution remains the same.

A good book I advice is just about anything written by Richard Dawkins! “The Selfish Gene” would be the best though.

19. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

reply to WellCookedFetus

according to Gould, and I tend to agree with him (although I'm still reading his first chapter), the revisions have replaced the framework of Darwinian evolution but have left the foundation intact. I would call this pretty major revisions, but this is arguable.

Dawkins book is good, and well worth the read, but he has not convinced me that selection works on anything else but the whole organism

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

changing the preimise i would consider major.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Re: reply to WellCookedFetus

i like gould, but he is too full of drama. I didn't read the structure of evolution, but his punctuated equilibrium was a lot of thin air. If my memories haven't been reconstructed too much during the last 10 years

22. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

reply to spuriousmonkey

you could be right re: Gould. But he makes good points. he wants to explain the paleontological data and current post-synthesis Darwinian theory cannot, except to say that the fossil evidence is spotty or lacking. he is probably gonna turn out to be right regarding the importance of epigenetic influences on major (macroevolutionary) taxonomic divisions.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We are still not denying that evolution happens, that life changes and speciesates by means of natural selection of random mutations that vary in benefit to reproducing organism in its environment. All your dealing with is the mathematics behind this change and how in detail it occurs.