How do you feel about people who kill animals for the sheer fun of it?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Saven, May 3, 2009.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It isn't your "right", simply your ability. There is no morality, ultimately, and this is a dog eat dog world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saven Registered Member

I want to make it clear that while you can talk about the subject of the OP, do not try to interfere with the topic of the thread by injecting your personally developed relativist theories here again. This is not the appropriate place to discuss your idiosyncratic musings.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What I said is entirely relevant. He asked me how I felt, and I replied: it doesn't matter. There is no "right" and "wrong" just like there is no santa clause, even if you might want to believe that there is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saven Registered Member

That's your view only, and it's not the subject of the thread. Avoid presenting your own personally developed musings as widely accepted facts. Many people, including myself, believe right and wrong is universal and biologically mandated: if it hurts other living things that don't deserve it, unnecessarily, that it's the wrong thing to do. Others believe it has only to do with same species incidents. It's one of many views.

HOWEVER... that is not the subject of this thread and you should not be turning the thread into that. This thread is about the pyschology behind those enjoy hunting specifically, and whether it justifies the taking of life. It is not about the source of right or wrong. If your answers do not specifically address hunting, then you really have no reason to post in here.

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I would never kill animals for fun, I don't get what's fun about it, I think it's kind of sick. Just like people who chop up bodies for fun, don't see what's so fun about it, I think it's gross. I stereotype all hunters (who use weapons) as psychos though.

9. John99 Banned Banned

that is not entirely true, not that you are or are not a vegan because i have no way of knowing AND we cannot simply accept things at face value here, the first part.

i think that people go vegan as part of an entire regimen of healthy actions IF the happen to be doing it for the reasons stated above. so we can take the othe factors, exercising etc into consideration. i dont really know what the numbers are but there are also people who die from heart failure at 30 and not due to their lifestyle.

so you are no longer a vegan? vegan or vegetarian?

you are also pointing out the worst cases and we can do that even with how people treat other humans. i am not sure if it is even realistically possible to have the entire population of humans to eat strictly vegetarian.

10. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Pay attention.

Commercial slaughter is brutal. No, that isn't a "worst case" example. I think we should focus on a more humane diet. Go visit a larger slaughter house or commercial dairy or egg farm.

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I thought most people became vegan because they had something against how animals are killed or that animals are being used. I don't think being vegetarian, vegan, or having no special eating requirements is really any healthier than the other as long as you take care of yourself.

12. John99 Banned Banned

did you read the first and last part of my post?

for many being strictly vegetarian is a luxury but in some instances this is not possible.

"Go visit a larger slaughter house or commercial dairy or egg farm. "

i am not four years old tj.

13. John99 Banned Banned

a lot can be said for moderation. i see people out there who are hard core joggers and tbh they dont look too healthy.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That is a fact. Even if we say that morality comes from biology, it is still subjective and not universally existent.
    It is biologically mandated, but it is not "universal" or objective, and it can be ignored, just like humans ignore many instincts.

And I addressed the question: I do not see anything wrong with it

15. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Could have fooled me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I didn't say it was possible or even the right decision for everyone, but don't kid yourself that every person who is vegan/vegetarian is just squeamish. I'm probably a lot tougher than most people about blood and guts.

16. Roman Banned Banned

That's true, though. But you aren't stronger than all their friends or all their cops. You don't kill hunters, not because it's wrong, but because you are powerless to do anything, otherwise.

The reason you say something is wrong is because it makes you feel bad. There's nothing more to it than that.

17. wise acre Registered Senior Member

I truly doubt you believe that when it comes to issues you care about.

18. Roman Banned Banned

Oh wow, an argument that supports moral relativism, based on your feelings. How convincing!

19. wise acre Registered Senior Member

That was not my point at all and it was hardly an 'argument.' I just find that even people who assert that moral judgments are merely emotional reactions tend to slide right into right and wrong and moral judgments when push comes to shove. I am not making a case for any kind of moral theory. I am saying that everyone I have ever met seems to think they were morally right or wronged on occasion, whatever they say when waxing philosophical.

Do you really never accuse others of being morally wrong?

Or do you simply say 'that made me feel bad when you defended the terrorist'.

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

As long as there is no law against it. But wait, there is....

Stupid thread so I won't give serious answers...Nevertheless they are correct...

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

See my previous post.

1. You are asking this on the wrong forum.

2. Probably, but that doesn't mean it is immoral or they shouldn't do it.

22. wise acre Registered Senior Member

Nah, he or she had the power to do it and did it. And people responded.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK, let's turn this around. You are walking in the woods, enjoying the spring weather, when a bear shows up and kills you. He doesn't have cubs to defend, he doesn't eat you, nevertheless he killed you anyway. Where would you complain?

Now you could say that we are more intelligent than bears, but first, bears so far haven't tried to blow up the world, second humans are just animals on a higher technological level.