How do you feel about guns?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lixluke, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Guns

1. Have no place in this world. Should be abolished like slavery.

33 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Are every human's right.

57 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Funny how you didn't mention them before.

More than likely the last two if this is correct, but you must also factor in that the vast majority of them know to lie about the theft of a gun as that is often a whole new felony.

many friends of criminals would be criminals by extension yes? So try closer to 60% being from 'illegal sources'.

Why? Why punish a victim? Do we punish a car owner when his car is stolen to commit a crime? Do we state that a rape victim was somehow irresponsible?

Ok, you can propose away, but unabridged and uninfringed gun ownership is our very right.

Well this should be standard and is no great concession on your part.

Well, if you have the safe mentioned above it shouldn't be your probelm, your kid obviously went against your wishes. Hell, unless you put the gun in his hands and told him to shoot people it shouldn't be your problem. Kids are not mindless automatons they can figure right from wrong just the same as we can.

How should this even be an issue?

Again criminal intent would need to be proved.

See in the first two of your examples there was no intent and thus in my opinion be no crime. Never seen a gun cleaning with a bullet in the gun, but then again I don't know myabe the idiots in your neck of the woods leave rounds in as they strip it down. As for the last, sometimes a prosecutor does not file charges for reasons of lack of intent, or even lack of actual crime. If the parent had the loaded gun in a gun safe and had every reason to believe the kids could not access it then there is NO crime.

Actually you're trying to add extra accountability.

First of all the guys articale is crap. An AK-47 versus a FN-FAL? Please. In a pinch you could use the FAL as a sniper rifle as it uses the 7.62N round aka .308 Winchester. That round can take down a deer in a single shot. As for the AK-47 it is reliable but the 5.45B round has probably the worst penetration and stopping power of any automatic rifle. Plus they said the selector switch was set to SA which means you could still flip it to FA when you need it. Finally, it does not matter if an assualt rifle can handle a tank if you take out the crew before they get in.

I respect you, but i am sorry you are just dead wrong

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Great post, TW Scott, great! Thanks,

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Anybody who buys a gun for selfdefense or defense against their own government should be forced to attend counseling.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Destroyer Banned Banned

Only people who don't want a gun should be allowed to have one(!)

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, I could agree with the second depending on the nation in question.

However, why should a person interesting in Self-Defense have to attend counseling? Would you have this opinion if you lived in the the seedier parts of Detroit or Chicago? It is only common sense to want the ability to strike back at an attacker. You might not do it, but having the option is preferable to not having it. And before you start about martial arts, I will head you off. Martial arts take training, time, and some natural ability. Not to mention it still is reliant on you being powerful enough to hurt your attacker and skilled enough to defend your self. a 90 pound Black Belt will more than likely still lose to a 400 pound mugger with 'street fighting skills'. However that same 90 lb person can scare off ten or fifteen 400 pounders with one hand gun and just a few hours practice.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Make the seedier parts unseedy.

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Counseling because there's something wrong with them or to know how/when to use the gun?

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Can't do that if you dead form trying. Hello is any one in there. The people who control the seedier parts of those towns have a vested interest in maintaining status quo. Any attempt to clean up the area is met violence ranging form a beating severe enough to be hospitalized to just blowing up your home with you in it after they made you watch them rape your wife and daughters and for good measure raped you too.

It is a sad part of life that Violence is the Supreme Authority from which all other Authority is derived.

12. Destroyer Banned Banned

Can't the Police do anything about seedy areas?

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

My god, your imagination really is a dank, fetid place isn't it? You really are a fearful gun stroker.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

And why did you let these places go so seedy in the first place?

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

So the 'God Guns and Guts' crew can go rent hookers.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Because the people living there allowed it to happen ....ie, they didn't give a shit about their own city/area.

Baron Max

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Re: the thread. If guns were outlawed, would crime/murder rates go up or down? Just curious.

18. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Sorry TW, but this is pure Hollywood and media fear mongering.

19. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

It's already been shown to go up. Hell, not only that, but even when guns have been outlawed, gun crimes have gone up as well, go figure, lol! Just check my links a page or two back from the BBC in regards to the UK.

- N

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Is it specifically because guns were outlawed?

More recent:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/5348774.stm

From the Home Office:
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime-victims/reducing-crime/gun-crime/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually it is real life, you know that thing the psychiatrist keep telling you about and that you should really get back to.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

God I love the manipulations of statistics done here. Overall crime is up in numbers across the board but becuase the number of non firearms crimes rose more than the firearms crimes you get to say there was a reduction in the percentage of firearms crimes compared to the other ones.

In other words they can make 7 look bigger than 8 becuase that 7 was half of fourteen but the 8 is only 40% of 20.

23. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Heh. Funny how I could go outside and point out probably 10 crackheads, even this late, who would rob me in a minute if they didn't know I had a gun. Gun crimes are very real, and very spread out. Where I'm living now is probably the second worst area that I've ever lived in, and the city's population is only about 13,000.