How do you deal with anti-science?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jeeves, Jan 19, 2020.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Everyone creates their own reality, every reality is different, you have accepted evolution as a fact and now it's part of your reality. Respect that everyone is different and that you do not know everything. If I understood you correctly, I think that's an answer.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Or perhaps it's because of the reason you've already hit upon:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Some realities are based on evidence and fact. Some are based on faith.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Definitely. But there's still an objective reality out there. You can deny gravity all you want; if you jump off a cliff you are still going to fall regardless of your personal beliefs.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That would be the objective reality already mentioned above, it pretty much dictates our actions, you, me and everyone else. The other realities you refer are not the objective one we all share, it's the reality each person makes up for themselves for one reason or another, and that other reality is usually distinctive to the person in that few if any others share it. And, the fact that the other reality they make up can indeed dictate their actions, thoughts and behavior, they are all still forced to deal with the objective reality we all share.

Evolution is part of my objective reality just as much as it is yours, there's no getting around it despite any other reality one makes up.

I suppose that's the million dollar question, are we supposed to respect the made up reality of others, no matter how absurd or ridiculous? And, in some cases, are we to ignore or reject our objective reality in favor of their made up realities?

9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

That's not the point. Christian scientists for example, may believe the age of the earth according to the bible, but in their day job they are evolutionists. Unless they just brush off this vital part of the whole bible.

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

And you could be wrong about everything.

11. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yes, obviously. We have to have some cohesive reality for things to tick along. Do you find people interesting?

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. That is the human condition. We go on what we observe. Since there's nothing we can do if we are merely brains-in-vats, then there is no reason for it to factor in.

The world we see behaves in ways we can apply rules to.

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yes, or you come across like a dick.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Quite often, yes.

davewhite04 likes this.
  15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well, that's not your point.

But that seems to be biased away from people who embrace evolution simply because it's a better model of the world, rather than because of some less flattering reason such as peer pressure.

16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Take it easy applying your rules knowing they could be completely wrong in another persons reality. Realities are special things.

EDIT: Less with the nonsense quote cherry picking that makes no sense and I don't want to explain myself again while scrolling up and down a page. Now shifting topics, it doesn't end. You aren't a troll, but there must be a name for people like you, I have a real word name, but I'll shield your ears from it.

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Certainly. We've had this discussion before about personal, subjective realities.

What it comes down to is whether one of us can show the other evidence that our reality extends beyond just us into objectivity.

I can demonstrate evolution to you (or anyone else) with a quick field trip to any pet store. In fact, you don't need to take my word for it; you can go yourself and see it in action. That's the beauty of objectivity - it can be demonstrated. independently of anyone's beliefs.

Presumably, your reality includes pet stores.

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What's hard to understand about
    "Evolution and religion will never mix."?
    In fact, they have been mixing for a century.
    And I've already pointed out that that is a minority of religious people - it's even a minority of Christians.
    I'm skeptical - show me.
    How many examples can you cite of people who have turned away because of either evolution or Dawkins?
    Why do they not matter and the militant fundamentalists do?
    What you personally know is unlikely to be a large or widespread demographic.
    And, of course, being interested in or accepting or ignoring are quite different attitudes. In fact, not all that many people, religious, agnostic, indifferent or atheist, are particularly interested in evolution. Or any science.
    American has nothing to do with this - Americans are a numerous and diverse people.
    So? Neither is The Decline and fall of the Roman Empire, Clausewitz on War or The Art of Cartooning. None of these preclude the reading of any of the others; none of them prevent anyone believing selectively whatever they contain.
    And, obviously, The Origin of Species is not a religious book.
    I've never met anyone who worked out, was convinced by or gave a hoot about those 'geneologies'
    Because that's got nothing to do with the significance or the function of Jesus.
    Besides, how does the misdating of the flood or skipping over a few generations here and there disqualify David from existing?
    (The authors retroactively shoe-horned in that whole David connection. I mean, com'on! What kind of sense would it have made for an occupation to have subject people travel all over the place for a census?)
    Many do not know and simply believe whatever their spiritual leaders tell them is in it. Many do not want to know. Many know and do not care. Many know and rationalize the inconsistencies. Many know, admit that it contains contradictions and do not let that interfere their with their personal faith.
    I find that improbable.
    No, but I do try to be fair.
    You've covered your opinion.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  19. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's definitely a risk. But I'd rather be thought of as a dick than make a white supremacist more comfortable with his "reality."

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Are you a serial killer? You don't care about anyone but yourself do you?

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, the made up realities are to be respected and if I don't respect someones fantasies, I'm a dick? Especially, if they decide their fantasies should be respected over our objective reality? Oh wait, that's what religion does.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not the last time I checked.
    An interesting conclusion based on the statement that I don't like white supremacists! Most people, fortunately, are not white supremacists (although they do seem to be making a comeback.)

23. river

There really isn't any such thing , as a concept as " anti-science " .

Look up what science actually means . Science comes from Greek ; meaning knowledge . Wisdom .