How do you deal with anti-science?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jeeves, Jan 19, 2020.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I don't think there is. Why would Joe Bloggs be anti-science? I would imagine he would of taking one tablet along his blissfully ignorant journey to enlightenment.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Can you modify your last statement, and repost? I don't follow you. lol

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I mean, I've started a thread asking if aliens can emerge from dark matter? It takes a village.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Probably easier if I explained. I think ignorance is bliss. I could give you an example, I'll make one up. A happily married couple. The husband is ignorant about everything except his marriage and job. His marriage is bliss(rare) so he doesn't care if he knows other stuff. Real life story. My cousin is the husband.

wegs likes this.
  8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Ah, I see your point. I'd say some very religious fundementalists likely fall into this category of ''ignorance is bliss.'' I wonder how people make it through life with absolutely no desire to learn about science, or anything outside of their little box?

davewhite04 likes this.
  9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

In my experience, many.

EDIT: That's why this forum is useful, I think some people are actually pursuing the truth.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yes, although I'd break it down into more categories than that.

1) People who honestly don't understand, and are seeking to learn. Those are the best sort, because they are open to learning.

2) People who don't understand, but cannot admit that someone else knows something that they do not. They will often claim things like "you just don't understand me" or rephrase it over and over in hopes that someone says "you are really smart" and gives them the answer they want.

3) People who are anti-science because their religion or their political agenda conflicts with science. These people must misunderstand science to maintain their beliefs - or sometimes even their jobs. As George Monbiot once said, "it is difficult to get a to man to understand something if his job depends on him not understanding it."

4) Trolls who play at not understanding science to get people to post lengthy explanations, only to say at the end "yeah, well the moon is made of cheese, isn't it?" or some other way to waste their time.

5) People who are simply not capable of understanding (rare, fortunately.)

wegs likes this.
  11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

They're both nihilistic things.

davewhite04 likes this.
  12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

They aren't kx000. If you are an atheist you have as good a chance as any theist of living meaningful life. Evolution doesn't say life has no meaning. They are searching for the meaning all the time.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

#4 is always obvious. Well, maybe not at first but after a while, their threads are redundant and no one ever gives them the precise answer that they’re looking for. lol

#3 is a bit of a mixed bag. There is someone who I’m thinking of who is very contrary due to his political views but isn’t anti-science. Actually, he is quite the scholar when it comes to science. It’s as though he plays devil’s advocate ...for fun? Lol

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's getting closer to 4) - people who know better but post just to get a rise out of people.

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Some habitual contrarians who live in the crevices and under the bridges of internet forums don't need beliefs to be against anything.
    But --
    I said nothing about people who have no religious beliefs.
    Lots of people with religious beliefs are also interested in science.
    However, most people who do have religious beliefs and oppose science, especially those who hold rigid beliefs, adamantly do not want to know about religions other than their own, and tend to have quite limited knowledge of their own. Indeed, curtailing and confining knowledge is central to their belief.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yep. Evolution and science will never mix, Christian one in anyway. I don't know what else in science is "suspect", because it would make the bible redundant.

EDIT: Evolution and religion will never mix

17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Actually you are right!

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There is a lot in cosmology that doesn't mix with fundamentalism; some biology and physics; most neurology and, for many shades of conservative, with or without the OT, climate.
    But, again, a great many Christians are not only reconciled to science, but work in some areas of scientific endeavour; many are also fine with a non-Earth-centered universe and evolution.

Only for a small backward segment of religious.

19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Fill a religious forum full of that type of stuff must have put a lot of people off. It's pointless totally talking about if evolution is true then it makes my belief redundant. I'm right, I know I am.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Thing is, you don't have to just believe. You can actually get facts that will tell you the incontrovertible answer.

But sure, beliefs can stay beliefs - if you don't ever challenge them.

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No

Try again

I'll make it simple. Just a definition of atheist would be fine

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

But, see, they're the ones who invariably bring it up. They must think there is a point in talking about it; to wit, disputing, disproving, overthrowing, undermining, impugning and misrepresenting.
    Not because it isn't true. Not even because
    It doesn't, actually. Many Christians are perfectly happy with six days that lasted 2 billion years each, or whatever; don't mind about the monkeys in their family tree and have forsaken Moses's stone tablets for Jesus's new commandment.
    That's it! Because they need to keep other people (especially their children) in the basement and shovel manure on them.
    Plus, the Ark theme park gets government subsidies in the $millions.

23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I don't know if you understood what I actually said, but let me just answer this post as best as I can understand you.

I was talking about the theists who's belief does hinge on a Young Earth. Many turn away from religion because of evolution, and people like Richard Dawkins.

Many christians are this many christians doesn't matter. I personally don't know one that is interested in evolution, it must be an american thing.

Yeah, it's an american thing, i'm certain. The bible is not a science book it's as simple as that. Taking it logically, using the geneologies of the people in the bible back to Adam is about 5700 years old, not entirely sure, but as close to using the gregorian calender. So yeah, maybe the previous 5 days happened over billions of years. If you think Pauls one quote refers to creation(which it doesn't). See if Adam was day 6 why would his day be normal(based on the geneologies it is a 24hr day unless you want to get really silly) and God say day meaning a different day for the other 6 days? Stupid. Here's another quote from Paul 1 Corinthians 14:33.

If the genologies are wrong then why believe Jesus existed if David didn't?

Christians/Jews who believe in billions of years haven't got a clue(or they have and live a lie all their life) what their own book teaches, and have probably taking the evolution path due to peer pressure and getting sick of being called a retard all the time..

I don't know if you're religious but I think I've covered everything, any questions?