How did the different human races evolve?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Balder1, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okconor Registered Senior Member

interspecies hybrids are usually infertile, and usually very rare in nature even if individuals were to mate frequently.
    To say that a zebra and a new forest pony are different species is an unfortunate outcome of human classification attempts. Strictly speaking they are different sub species which can interbreed to produce an infertile hybrid.

A fox and a wolf are a different species which very very very rarely produce.
    issue

watch your definitions, they stand on the shoulders of fallible men

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Usually," but it happens often enough to not be remarkable. We are most familiar with horse-ass hybrids -- mules -- so people use that as their model and they are infertile. Not so with most of the genera I specifically cited. They're into the fourth generation of Ara macaw hybrids, a beautiful lavender color. Amazon parrots have been hybridized so much and are so fertile that conservationists are panicked that some of them will get loose in the wild and mix up the gene pool of the few remaining wild Amazons. Pheucticus grosbeaks have been cross-breeding for enough generations that one showed up at our feeder in California, when the original interbreeding happened in the Midwest. You can find any generation of wolf-coyote hybrid you care to specify. (Given that we now know that wolves and dogs are a single species. That's posted here in a number of threads.)
    No one's suggesting that the hybrids are new species, although the commercially or sentimentally valuable ones like mules, Camelot macaws, ocicats, and coydogs are given names to facilitate discussion. But a good many of them are indeed fertile. Hybridization of psittacines is rampant, commercially viable, and a topic of heated debate between aviculturists and ecologists.
    You don't seem to know as much about taxonomy as you make out. Foxes are not genus canis. Wolves and foxes never mate, they don't have enough of the right pheromones and mating rituals to attract each other. Genus canis includes only coyotes, jackals, and wolves. Wolves embrace dogs and dingos, animals that were once thought to be separate species.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

I have always wondered what the mechanism was that separated a species line such that the one time sexual activity between members of a species ceased after branching. I can understand birds with better wings having advantages and so on , but that branching of a species by sexual selection only seems strange as if the branching was arbitrary, a selection without the element of fittest being a significant issue- sexual branching for sheer branching sake?

An alternative to this line of thought is that branching of the species occured for other normal {fittest} reasons and that the sexual cut off was a secondary and coincidental and unrelated affect. If this then the mechanism cannot be universal in application.

is there any geological data (or other data ) that throws light on this issue?

Can some one correct me here.

geistkiesel

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. itopal Registered Member

Isolation leads to breeding separation. . .

As a population moves; migrates; local variations + local breeding = increase in biological diversity.

8. okconor Registered Senior Member

9. okconor Registered Senior Member

Evolution of species occurs in two ways. Enviromental and behavioural.

Humans brain size has evolved extremely rapidely (see Prof Ed Barnes). This suggests that it has been a selective pressure, it could have been One or other or both of the forces described.

Probably a bit of both.

The Alpha male of our ape ancestors who was better at manipulating tools and understanding it's environment etc had the bigger harem. He was chosen by more females to mate with, and had more offspring than other males, so his genetic line was more prevalent.

Then a bit of isolation occured. Migration, desease, climate change, geological catastrophies you name it.

The behavioural trait continued and then Enviromental isolation would occur again. And so on. Waves of change.

The Sultan Suleyman the Magnificant sired 150 children as did the Pharoah King Tut.

If lets say for arguments sake each of these children managed to have 3 offspring who reached maturity and had 3 children of their own, then from 1500 ad to now the successful, aggresive, whatever, line of suleyman would be responsible for 15 generations multiplying out at 2 billion people! That's evolution.

Polygamy is the tool of evolution, but polygamy is outlawed in our society.
    So what does that mean for human evolution - a new thread I think.

10. Big D Registered Senior Member

These racial patterns make up what is called a "life-history" or "reproductive strategy." The traits evolved together to meet the trials of life-survival, growth, and reproduction. Race differences make sense in terms of human evolution. Modern humans evolved in Africa about 200,000 years ago. Africans and non-Africans then split about 110,000 years ago. Orientals and Whites split about 40,000 years ago.

The further north people went "Out of Africa," the more evolution selected for larger brains, slower growth rates, greater longevity, lower hormone levels, less sexual potency, less aggression, and less impulsivity. Advanced planning, self-control, and rule-following are cultural manifestations of these gene-based evolutionary strategies. Surviving in cold environments required increased intelligence and larger brains. The wider hips of white and Asian women evolved to allow them to give birth to larger brained babies.

What are the implications of this research? One is that we should stop blaming white racism for all society's problems. If blacks are good at certain sports, and Orientals do well in schools, it cannot be because each group is trying to "overcome the prejudice of white society," because each group shows the same pattern of strengths and weaknesses in their countries of origin.

Sometimes it is claimed by those who argue that race is just a social construct that the human genome project shows that because people share roughly 99% of their genes in common, that there are no races. This is silly. Human genes are 98% similar to chimpanzee genes and 90% similar to those in mice, which is why these species make good laboratory animals. But no one claims that mice, chimpanzees, and humans are nearly the same! That would be laughable. Similarly, although men and women are genetically 99% the same, it is foolish to believe that sex is just a "social construction."

Much confusion arises because there are several sets of genetic measures. A much more realistic story comes from looking at the 3.1 billion base pairs that make up the 30,000 genes.

People differ in 1 out of every 1,000 of these base pairs. Each change in a base pair can alter a gene. Technically, base pair differences are called single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). The 99% figure is based on DNA sequences which do not differ between people or even most mammals. These can give the impression that human groups and chimpanzees are almost identical because these genes code for similar internal organs, eyes, hands, and so on. Though humans and mice look very different, any anatomy student can tell you, even their internal bone structures are very similar.

The February 23, issue of Science magazine reported that 2.8 million SNPs were already being sold by Celera Genomics to scientists trying to crack the code of human behavior. Base pair differences are important and SNPs clump together in races. Just one change in the base pair for hemoglobin, for example, causes sickle-cell anemia, from which many Blacks suffer. Other base pair differences affect IQ, aggression, and mental illness. The 3.1 billion base pairs provide plenty of room for large racial differences.

If races did not exist, we would not find the same racial pattern all around the world and over time. The scientific evidence shows that the politically correct mantra "race is just skin deep" is a case of deep denial.
    http://www.lrainc.com/swtaboo/stalkers/jpr_insight.html

11. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

That's absurd. Things like this that you're basing your conclusion's on is purely skeptical.

In China, there were revolts because they wanted to change the school week to 5 days instead of 6. Are you going to tell me that that is evolutionary, and not cultural?

If how much someone applies themself in school, how well they follow rules, what types of sports they participate in, is not cultural, then WHAT TYPES OF BEHAVIOR/ACTIVITES ARE CULTURAL??

If your arguments were true, then the Asian countries would always led the world in demonstrations of intelligence, which they haven't and African American would have no hope of making better grades than a person of asian decent, which they sometimes do, and I will tell you that YES, white racism is a HUGE contributing factor to the high crime rate in African Americans today, because it is not GENETIC, it is CULTURAL, it is the environment where someone is born and raised that influences him/her the greatest into a life of crime.

I'll be the first to say YES a huge percentage of caucasians HAVE been holding African American's down since the Emancipation Proclamation (and before obviously), YES it has made it more difficult for African Americans to achieve financial success, among other types, YES it has led a lot of people to live in these terrible poor areas where drugs, alcohol and violence are rampant, and NO IT IS NOT GENETIC!

12. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

(In other words, I disagree wholeheartedly and beneath the epithelial layers, we are identical. It is culture that shapes us.)

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What I see, Frisbinator, is that in your post there is just populistic shouting while Big D has logically explained scientifical data. I agree with Big D.
    p.s. you talk too much about africans living in america, not actual africans in africa, which are a nice example of primitivism.
    p.p.s. I think that most african americans are primitive too, all that hip hop, rap "culture", etc.
    p.p.p.s. not all asians are simmilar and so are not all africans, I think that Big D talks about the statistical average.

14. okconor Registered Senior Member

What worries me more about Big D is that he is (or she) is obviously well read, but has gained their knowledge with a presupposition of whites superiority to blacks, which seems to be the essence of what he is trying to indicate. Avatar is obviously an idiot and shall be ignored forthwith.

There are many flaws in Big D's argument. There is no evidence to say that Orientals and whites evolved from the same group which split from Africa . Whites do not have larger brains than africans, nor are they necessarily more intelligent. There is a theory that the white race is one which is the result of a cross between Neandertals (hardly superior) and the first migrating (black) true homo sapiens - see neandertal cave paintings. If you want to be intelligent rather than just sound it, you've got to sift through information.

Africa, as a whole has the greatest genetic diversity in humans of any continent in the world. You will find the tallest and the smallest, the fattest and the thinnest, the darkest and (well maybe not) the whitest, and the most intelligent and the most stupid.

White superiority resulted in stable climate and the bread basket moving from northern Africa to middle Europe and greater ferocity of white people over other nations. India was a far more sophisticated culture and more advanced in many fields as was china, than Europian - they just were in decline when Europe was rising. One day it will be the white mans turn to go down, and I doubt that fat white complacent ignorant Americans will be the master race then.

Race is not a social construct, it is genetic - that is true. And I agree, one should not blame white peoples prejudice for societys problems. Every race I have known are racist - especially the chinese. Unfortunately, that's nature. A chiuahua would rather mate with a chihuahua than a Rottwellier, they're still dogs though.

Black people seem to be better sportsmen, and suffer less from back problems, can I then presume that they are more evolutionarily advanced to walking around on two legs than white people are?

But please, keep your prejudice suppositions out of it, I get the impression you're more intelligent than that.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

aaw, you don't agree that all africans should be sent to Venus to dig volcanos?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

No, you will NOT send Africans to Venus under any circumstances, you will take them to Mars.
    You're not an idiot, but you like whatever licks your ass and puts you on a pedestal and that gives you a very biased perspective which is inaplicable in any reasoning.

Another thing that worries me in Big D's argument is the assumption that wider hips in women are for larger sizes of the baby's body parts. Whatever the variety in size of the hips, the size of vagina is pretty much the same, is it not? Also, there are many European women with narrow hips and many African women with wide hips.
    There is plenty of tradition, discipline, and rule-following in African communities. The fact that many of those traditions are still around today is plain evidence. Aggression is just as necessary when hunting in a northern forest as it is when hunting in Africa. So yeah, Big D doesn't come off sounding too smart. =P
    About which race is smarter: the smartest college students in America are Asian (or at least it was so last time I was interested in college acceptance rates).

17. Big D Registered Senior Member

I NEVER said one group was or is superior to another, that is your opinion or conclusion.

I have just pointed out their differences.

In Fact it is yourself that has made this statement:

18. Big D Registered Senior Member

First you write this statement:

And then you write this one:

Make up your mind.

19. Big D Registered Senior Member

Remember it is right here in AMERICA where blacks have BY FAR the greatest standards of living then ANYWHERE else in the world. Thats why the blacks in AMERICA only complain about AMERICA but would NEVER leave.
    In fact, it is blacks from ALL OVER THE WORLD that risk their lives everyday just for a chance to live in AMERICA.

In fact, as blacks have gained more "freedom" to do as they want in America the failures of blacks have increased:
    http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/506187/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I don't have to make up anything. Asians come out smarter today because they study more. They do so because they're used to living in highly populated, highly competitive Asian societies. Americans (blacks and whites etc of various descent) are theoretically placed in the same environment but they study less, because they think it's not kewl through most of their school years. Current cultural difference, not difference in size of any body parts.

21. okconor Registered Senior Member

22. okconor Registered Senior Member

Absolute bollocks mate

23. Big D Registered Senior Member

A person's race may affect his or her -- but especially his -- obesity and fitness levels, claims a new study in the December issue of Chest.

After evaluating 5,069 people referred for an exercise stress test to detect coronary artery disease, Dr. Carl J. Lavie, director of the exercise laboratories at the Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans, and his colleagues found black patients overall had a higher level of obesity and a lower exercise capacity than white patients.

"I don't think it is a surprise that African-Americans had a high level of obesity," Lavie said. "Other studies indicate that as well."
    http://health.yahoo.com/news/53231

FAT LAZY and STUPID = AFRICAN AMERICAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.