How cheap does solar power need to get before it takes over the world?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Plazma Inferno!, Apr 19, 2016.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? Zinc-manganese (alkaline) batteries were first invented in 1899, and have been used literally for over century. Rechargeable alkaline chemistries have been around for about 50 years and a LOT of research has gone into them.
    The money available for innovation in both field is quite large - and progress is being made in both areas. The steady 5% improvement in li-ion energy density for example will make EV's more and more practical especially since there are already EV's that meet people's needs for range and cargo. It will just take a while to see significant progress.
    That's what a peaker does. It enables unreliable storage by having fast-response power available for deficits.
    Hmm. I don't see anyone "throwing up their hands at the prospect of substantial storage improvements" - indeed, I just returned from a conference where about a dozen speakers discussed the research going into stationary power storage systems. Nor has anyone ever tried to sell me a nuclear reactor. We had one just down the beach here, but it had to shut down due to a bum heat exchanger. I'd be all for a replacement; we could use the baseline power.

Schneibster likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Exactly. And in all that time, apparently, the mechanism of charge storage had not been investigated. And that is the situation I keep running into, over and over, in this arena. Alternating with descriptions of the inadequacy of the prospects and available established tech.

So that's the context for this:
    Compared with what?
    Which is not what storage is being "pitched" for in this thread. To repeat: it is being "pitched" to provide baseline power, at night and during bad weather.

Schneibster likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

For cheap, storage of electrical energy, it is hard to beat the "Edison Battery," especially with Stanford's 2012 charge/discharge speed advances. A "modern" battery powered car can do 20% as well in all electric range!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ni/Fe Batteries
    Characteristics
    This rechargeable battery was introduced in 1900 by Thomas Edison. It is a very robust battery which is tolerant of abuse and can have very long life even if so treated. It is often used in backup situations where it can be continuously charged and can last for 20 years. Also called Nickel Alkaline of NiFe batteries. The open circuit voltage of these cells is 1.4 V, and the discharge voltage is about 1.2 V.

Advantages: Very robust. Withstands overcharge and over-discharge. Accepts high depth of discharge - deep cycling.
    Can remain discharged for long periods without damage, whereas a Lead Acid battery needs to be stored in a charged state. The ability of this system to survive frequent cycling is due to the low solubility of the reactants in the electrolyte - Potassium hydroxide (KOH). Lifetime of 30 years possible. Less expensive than Nickel- Cadmium cells

Shortcomings: Low cell voltage. Very heavy and bulky. They cells take a charge slowly, and give it up slowly. In Edison's Version but {in Stanford's version: 2 minutes to full charge & 30 seconds for full discharge! Now that is a rugged battery!}
    Low coulombic efficiency, typically less than 65% Steep voltage drop off with state of charge. Low energy density.
    High self discharge rate.
    Except for a few inserts by Billy T the above comes from: http://www.mpoweruk.com/nickel_iron.htm
    With full discharge in 30 seconds, perhaps it should not be called a battery, but a "chemical capacitor." Let's hope the life time is still 20 or so years, even with 10,000 deep discharge cycles.

Final comment by Billy T:
    As the tungsten filament light bulb is now phasing out; in a 100 years, Edison will be known for his battery, not a light bulb.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The writers of the article indeed hoped that the human population would stabilize without quite so many zeroes. But their mission (in an article titled "How Many People Can the World Support?") was to find the ultimate variable that would stabilize the population regardless of all other variables.

That variable turns out to be thermodynamics. Human waste heat does not dissipate into space quickly, so the more of us there are, the higher the average ambient temperature will be. They assumed a modest role for evolution, as people whose metabolism can withstand higher temperatures than the rest of us will eventually comprise the majority of the population. Obviously there will always be wealthy people who can build air-conditioned palaces for their own families, but this frivolous use of energy will merely make life worse for everyone else. The limit they calculated was several quadrillion humans: 4,000,000,000,000,000 of us.

Just a decade or so ago, population scientists announced happily that the human birth rate had fallen so low, and was continuing to drop (it turns out that prosperity is the best contraceptive), that the planet's population was estimated to max out at fewer than ten billion of us, and then start to decrease. These same scientists are probably drinking hemlock today, because the figure has been revised to somewhere around 12-15B of us.

Still, the earth can withstand that. The relatively underpopulated land in the Western Hemisphere and Australia (for example, 75% of the land in "crowded, suburban" California is forest, farm and desert) can feed the entire present population two or three times over using only contemporary technology.

It is indeed thermodynamics that we should be worrying about, not our food production technology.

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

True, but each body makes only about 100W and modern societies use very much more than that per person.

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

OK I certainly won't quibble about whether the human population finally maxes out at 11bn or 12 or 15bn. It was the "several quadrillion" that made my eyebrows shoot up.

When you say human waste heat does not dissipate into space quickly, I'm not sure I follow this. Why is human waste heat any different from the heat accumulated due to, say, solar irradiation of the Earth? The way I have always understood it, the day side of the Earth is heated by the sun and the night side loses heat by IR radiation into space. Where will human waste heat build up that inhibits it radiating into space by this mechanism?

10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Solar panels to produce electricity are great in my view ( gained from personal experience).
    Heating takes a lot of energy as does refrigeration.

Heating water using solar heat collectors is an area where one can reduce grid electricity consumption.

However being realistic those corporations supplying electricity to the grid irrespective of how they produce their electricity, be it via coal, oil, gas or yellow cake, are really not interested in seeing consumers use less electricity and I therefore suspect those corporations will not be saying anything nice about solar panels or supporting consumer subsidies to have solar hot water services installed on existing roofs or making them compulsory on new dwellings.

Overall the Sun is a real big competitor who will outlast all the energy supply corporations and given the chance make huge inroads into profits of said corporations.

I guess they already have worked that out and we will hear why it wont work.

Why they should worry when the percentage of solar is relatively small I am not sure unless there is an undelying belief (fear) that solar may well take a larger market share than they care to hand over.

Alex

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Question:
    On the average month, we use about 3000kwh of electricity. The house and shop are all electric. The heat load in winters(jan-feb) usually kicks the monthly kwh up to 4000kwh or 5000kwh.
    If I were to give up yard space for a solar array, how many kw should I consider?

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They did the math and described that world. People will be living in warrens about one mile deep. The individual living quarters will be about 8ft square with a 7ft ceiling. That's enough space to have one visitor, but probably not enough to live together. Obviously there will be different--but equally minimal--arrangements for couples and families. Passageways will take up about the same amount of space as living areas. Space will be adequate for a reasonable amount of horizontal travel, but vertical--from one level to another, bypassing the utility levels unless your job requires it--will be limited by space and energy. The wealthy will live on the upper levels and occasionally visit the surface where the government they control maintains a few parks and other recreational facilities, but most of the surface will be solar collectors to power everything. I suppose there will be a few pastures where beef and dairy cattle live with microwave radiation passing through their bodies, to feed the wealthy. The rest of us will eat food farmed from hydroponics, or perhaps by then it will be completely laboratory-synthesized.
    It isn't different at all. The problem is that the waste heat created by four quadrillion human bodies and their supporting infrastructure will be several orders of magnitude greater than what we're used to. There's no way to broadcast radiation of such a low frequency, so the only way it will dissipate is the old-fashioned way: trickle-up.
    It isn't inhibited. There's just so much of it that it becomes a traffic jam of elementary particles. It's still going to be limited by the speed of light, so with that many elementary particles they're going to be waiting in line for a long time--causing the planet beneath them to become warmer.

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But wait a minute. That might hypothetically have been true for the ludicrously wrong estimate of the size of the human race in that 1960s Malthusian study, but I thought we had just agreed that the actual number will be only a tiny fraction of that, viz. 10-15bn.

So why are you still talking in terms of "will", rather than "would have been"?

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

It would be nice, if when driving some chemical process to make liquid fuel, the total cost of it was less than than of the solar process of growing sugar cane that is then converted in plastics and liquid fuel for cars, etc.

Note that even when burning the crushed cane (a residue from the cane that has been converted to alcohol) one gives credit to the heat in excess of distillation process needs that makes electric power too. Nearly 10% of Brazil's electric power is made this way. That crushed cane, is solar dried, and a store of chemical energy. Most of Brazil's electric power is hydro-electric, but when the rains don't fall, less water needs to be released from the dams as crushed cane is making part of the electric demand. It is a naturally timed system: The cane chemical energy store is greatest in the late fall when the rains are becoming less as winter approaches.

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

The idea is to place panels on your roof rather in your yard.
    You are going to need a lot of panels.
    Do you really want to work out how many or just pointing out that it is impractical to use solar in your case.

Alex

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I would remain tied to the grid---a few years ago, we voted to pay more per kwh to build out the wind farms.
    I had thought solar impractical (especially at over $3 per watt installed, and the size of the array. It seems that I had calculated via peek usage.
    It seemed as though the payback was about 10 years, some components only have a 5 year warranty, so the 10 years may be optimistic?
    I have just re-roofed the buildings with metal shingles which I'd rather not have holes drilled into. (pity I didn't go with standing seam------the metal shingles were a compromise with my beloved spouse whose aesthetic found standing seam "ugly".)
    ("there is no accounting for taste"----------taste is qualitative not quantitative.)
    ergo: "The yard".
    We have many cloudy cold days most winters here in Iowa, and that is when I would rather have the added production.
    The house and shop are superinsulated(r 38-44 walls and r 60-80 ceilings. and the house has a lot of thermal mass.
    I had built a greenhouse/solar collector which provides most of the house and shop heating load late Feb - early Nov.

I had thought that the industry could hit $1/watt----which would put payback within the least or the warranties.
    That is beginning to seem unlikely.

So far, Alex it's just an idle curiosity.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

A 40 kilowatt array would reduce your electric bill by about 80% depending on your location. Cost would be about $140,000.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

This is the fourth "miracle battery" that has been announced in 2016 that I have heard of - and it's only April. I generally see about five batteries a year that will make EV's cheap and long-range, make home storage a no-brainer etc. I saw the first such article back in 1985 in an IEEE publication.

19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Now that I have quoted you there is much more in the quote than appears as your post.
    I dont know what is going on there????

Never make holes in a roof I say.

If you were to seriously consider solar I suggest invest in one panel and determine just how much electricity it will actually produce over 12 months.

One can do sums but a real test run is the way to go.

However the grid is hard to beat for many reasons. It is cheaper and simple.
    I did not have access to the grid and started with a generator added batteries later and finally panels.

For most folk it would be a challenge and frankly it was a challenge setting everything up and it is high maintenance, you need to clean the panels, clean the battery terminals, check the water levels, maintain the back up genny build a shed to put it all in... A power point connected to the grid is hard to beat.

Alex

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

True Stamford researchers have announced 1000 fold increase in charging / discharge speed* in 2016, but only in their small lab protype. The original NiFe rechargable battery (the Edison Battery) drove a car 1000 miles on a single charge, more than 100 years ago. (See car at top of post 23.)

Musk's Tesla Model 3 ships at the end of 2017 and claims to be able to go 215 miles on one charge, but many think it will be lucky to have a 200 mile range.
    I.e. 20% of the range demonstrated 100 years ago. Not to make now too much of that battery's 30 year life with thousands of deep discharge cycles.

* full charge in 2 minutes and full discharge in 30 seconds! If achieved in larger scale, it is really more like a reversible "chemical capacitor" than a battery!

A 12 V version uses 10 cells. This early version had insulators between the cases.
    Perhaps it was one that was still going strong after 30 years. If doing deep discharges, it probably needed some distilled water every few months. Note the fill caps.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Take a look at a typical roof sometime! They are full of holes even without solar.
    No need to do that; such numbers are readily available from places like NREL. A more important number is how much someone uses over 12 months.
    I've used solar power for 15 years now and now generate all my power via such a system. Never cleaned the panels. You can if want to, of course; you'll see a few percent improvement (mainly because the water cools the panels down and they become more efficient.)
    Agreed there. Power is really pretty cheap compared what it costs to generate your own.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

I have no doubt that a Model 3 would provide a similar range at 15mph with minor mods (solid tires, removal of accessory loads etc.)
    We recently did a demo project that demonstrated charging a cellphone-size battery to 90% in 90 seconds. It wasn't hard. We used A123 LiFePO4's and off the shelf AC-DC converters. Of course, few people would want to put up with the connectors, heat dissipation, reduced energy storage and power supplies needed to do that for consumer items.
    Inherently different animals.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Because the prediction has already grown by 50% in a decade and a half. Hopefully it will never actually reach fifteen zeroes.

It's been said that prosperity is the best contraceptive: as the world's poorest communities have become more prosperous (largely because of electronic communication that allows them to organize virtually without having to gather in large crowds that can be easily shot). In places in the Third World where the average couple had eight children in my own lifetime, they now have five; and where they had five, they now have three. But only in the most prosperous places are couples having an average of less than 2.0 children--Japan has already hit that level and their social security system is collapsing. (Every economic model since Adam Smith assumes without discussion that the engine that drives prosperity is population growth.) Here in the USA the upper economic class is coming close, but the lower segment is not.

There is simply no guarantee that the human population will stabilize--ever. The 11B prediction was calculated 20 years ago; the 15B 10YA. I don't think anyone is going to bet money (or a career) on the next iteration.

Obviously, technology will reach new levels long before the population accrues even two more zeroes. Governments will surely have the power to reduce the birthrate, whether their subjects approve of it or not. Airborne contraceptives, anyone?

Nonetheless, as I write this there are still major populations that regard large families as a civil right. Who among us wants to be the leader of Saudi Arabia, Nigeria or Pakistan who makes a speech telling his people that henceforth no couple can have more than two children? The technology is going to require a lot of technicians and enforcers. Can you protect them all from assassination... or the equally common tactic in those countries, bribery?