How can there be existence?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by itchy, Jul 12, 2002.

1. itchy Registered Senior Member

Warning: This question may drive you insane. Proceed with caution.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Assuming there is existence, and I'm pretty sure there is, this question must be the most fundamental of all?

I'm not expecting to find any answers. I was just wondering if anyone (you or any historical figures) can logically begin to explain the essence of existence. Any references? I don't purely mean our existence (this universe), I mean in a more general sense. Allthough it is interesting to discuss how the universe can exist also.

What I know is basically that there is nothingness and there is everythingness (for lack of a better word). This is two sides of the same thing. Each is as likely as the other and neither side needs an explaination.

Before I go on I will first want to get your reaction and ideas.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Well, this is the ultimate question. Some would say 'WHY existance' is more of a mystery. I'll start things off with a question:

What is nothingness? A vacuum? Isnt that still something???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5.          Reign Mack Registered Senior Member

Yeah even a lack of 'something' is actually something, If you can observe it(coaurse & effect) then it is something. There is no such thing as nothingness. Some say there can be no existance without self awareness. Like that old one about the tree falling down in an empty forest.

...Im confused

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. itchy Registered Senior Member

No, asking "WHY" is not a correct question because then you are assuming there is a reason and there cannot be any prerequisits for existence.

Nothingness is just the opposite of everythingness. Vacuum is something that is specific to our world. It has nothing to do with what I am refering to as nothingness.

Nothingness is what I and most people probably feel would be the most logical state of existence. There should simply not exist anything! But keep in mind that this implies that in fact everything just as well might exist since there is nothing to induce otherwise.

This is what I mean by nothingness and everythingness.

8. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

There cannot be any prerequisits for exist? How do you know? As, an atheist I agree that 'how' is a more relevant question...I was just pointing out that most people would consider 'why' first.

Really? I think the most logical state of existance is current existance! This is what is...so is it not most logical? Nothingness as you descibe it is the most illogical concept I can think of.

So, how did we get to this point in existance? We are so far away from anwering that question...I think the latest theories of multiverses is maybe heading in that direction.

I think we will find infinite smallness and infinite largeness are all the same and actually loop endlessly. Thats pure conjecture of course and may not make any sense to anyone....

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Maybe it is a kind of in betweeness. Every hunman being has his/her own view on existance and/or nothingness. Their own perceivement.

What about the blind and the deaf people. I think their opinion on existence/nothingness is very different.

Some people see/preceive things which others don't. So what exactly do you mean by existance and nothingness?

I am sorry, I seem to miss your point here. That happens more to me, so nothing new under the sun...

10. Sublime Trigger Brains for Beginners. Registered Senior Member

there must be nothingness, to be otherwise would imply infinite mass, which would imply infinite possibility- which is currently apparently a popular theoretical impossibilty.

To simplify, if there was infinite capacity for the existence of matter, every singly PROBABILITY would become at some point definite, like parrallel universes within one 'universe'

This effectively negates time, because every possible thing has happened and is continually happening. Which would herald the theoretical possibilty for an ultimately destructive device, which would negate our very existance from the start.

Which brings me nicely onto my PERSONAL hypotheses regarding the concept of infinity and Zero......(Just kidding folks...)

Certainly for me perception proves existance, I'm fond of trees falling in woods.

11. itchy Registered Senior Member

I thought the reason was evident. Don't you see that if we keep on thinking like this than we can never reach a satisfiable answer. Not everything needs a reason. Its not even logical.

Those who ask "why" are probably more concerned about our universes existence. And since this universe isn't everything that exists then that is a valid question. There is a difference here in talking about the existence of our specific universe and the whole of existence itself.

The existence of our universe very illogical if we only consider it by itself. What are the odds that we should have a universe that works so well? Practically zero! Allthough if we see our universe as just a subset of all possibilities then it seems more logical.

How can nothingness be illogical? It is nothing and therefor needs no explaination. I might just as well say everythingness. I think people can more easily think of this concept. It is simply all possibilities rolled up into one.

Well that is the next question. The way I see it there are different layers of existence. One layer is contained within another layer. The top layer is everythingness. Our universe is in a layer somewhere down the line. This is where it starts getting tricky.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

We all live in our own time-stream. So how can you be sure then that the stream you live in, is the only real, absolute one? How do you prove it really excists? (without pointing out that other people see the same tree falling down in the woods)

Can be excisting only in your mind too. Does this say there is only nothingness left?

Now, this is getting confusing.

I don't know what I'm babbling about at the moment.

Anyways, just because there are things out there from which you think they are infinite, does not mean they can not be possible.

I am open to all possibilities and quit rambling now, 'cause I don't make any sense here...

13. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

How would you identify Nothingness?

If it is nothing, then you wouldn't know it to be there, because it's nothing.

So does Nothing exist at all?

Since the scientific world has categorized things due to the ability to be able to see/smell/touch/experiment/etc. an object as existing, Nothingness wouldn't exist because it cannot be classified at all. Therefore, doesn't that mean that only Everythingness (nice word, hehe) exists?

14.          Reign Mack Registered Senior Member

^^^ Agreed the scientific world cannot identify nothingness neither physically nor mathematically. The main ways things are identified are through course and effect. Nothingness would have neither of these therefore even if there was nothingness we would never know. Nothingness is a theory and we only assume it exists because we believe that everything has an equal opposite. But by assuming this you are saying that nothing must exist because something ness those and it must have an opposite but if something ness has mass then would not nothingness have the opposite of mass, Once you have quantified anything it can no longer be called nothing