How Can A Paradox Exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Captain Canada, Aug 22, 2001.

1. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Intuitively, it is of course difficult for us to grasp the notion of the contradictory. That's because we do not experience the world through Propositional Logic. Strictly speaking, contradiction can only obtain in a realm where Tautologies exist. A = -(-A)
    The denial of which, truth functionally speaking, would be a contradiction. Since this does not necessarily accord with our daily life, Modal Logic was sprung on us. This takes into account truth functional variables and implicative conditionals (if...then..).
    Just remember, contradiction only exists within a specific descriptive structure.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Paradoxes???

Okay how about:
    "I'm a Vegetarian and Work as a Butcher"
    Or
    "I don't clean plates, unless you pay me"

Paradoxes are on of the most tediously absurd things that occur, and fortunately a preportion of study within artificial intelligence systems that deal with Words and their contexts.

"I drempt of waking"

My personal favourite, for when someone asks you to do something and you reply...

"In a minute/second!"

"that nearly hit you!" (Is there such thing as nearly hit, it didn't hit, so it must have missed, meaning it wasn't even close to hitting you)

"If you can find proof of his guilt, we will hand him over" Taliban paradox.

"Have you ever noticed when you find what you are looking for, it's always in the last place you look!"

"I took the fish for a walk!"

"What goes up, must come down!"

I think that's all I need to type to point out there is paradoxes out there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. machaon Registered Senior Member

conceptial vs linguistic

Knowing the definition of words allows us to formulate sentences describing things that are in conflict with the conceptial templates that define the contrast between that which can be achieved and that which can not. One way to validate this claim would be to examine whether or not paradoxes existed before launguage and the written word were invented.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bambi itinerant smartass Registered Senior Member

Machaon,

Sure paradoxes exist outside of language. For example, many Escher drawings show impossible objects or impossible situations.

Cris pretty much nailed the issue:

This applies to nonverbal paradoxes as well. They are merely results of mistakes stemming from incomplete understanding or from faulty analysis.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I can see this topic beginning to parallel that of one of the topics involving "What do you call art?"
    I checked out what Bambi had mentioned:

M.C.Escher (1898-1972) and his Artwork that spanned his life (some of which I'm sure relativity students might have studied).

rather than placing all the images that I found involving his lithographs, I'm going to place the anchors to some two sites I came across, one that is a paper about him and some of the other types of paradoxes, and the other at an Art site that you can get to see all his work (and even get extremely large versions of the image for printing)

http://www2.bc.edu/~schiavop/escher.html
    A paper

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/E/escher.html
    The Art gallery with poster sized versions.

I'm sure if you take a look you will realise that you've seen some of his work before, but probably didn't realise.

9. Tom Guest

truth

in everything and everyone theres true & false, there is no 'its all inncorrect' its either true or false.

No one says im wrong, you think im wrong, send in a post.

10. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

I disagree. There can be "degrees of truth". Those degrees are based upon the context of the arguements of truth you are interested in discovering. For example. Is it a true statement to say "stealing is wrong"? In the context of someone who has the potential to earn their living, then you could argue that stealing is wrong. But what about the context of someone who has no job, no ability to get a job, and has to support their family in some way. If their family is starving to death, is it then wrong to steal?

Truth is based on the context in which the truth is written. The truths of today are not the truths of yesterday and will probably not be the truths of tomorrow.....

11. machaon Registered Senior Member

Art and paradox.

I was one of the first people in line when the M.C. Escher exhibit came to Knoxville, Tennessee(USA). I have personally seen his works and was duly impressed by his artistic genius. However, his works demonstrate what IS possible in reference to how images are portrayed in two dimensions. They also, in my opinion, represent how it is possible for ideas to be communicated that are in conflict with what we observe about the world. The paradox arises from the fact that his art describes visually what sentences can describe verbally, they describe the ability to express that which can not be intergrated into functional ideas based on the conceptialization of reality as we can utilize it in a meaniful way. It outlines the limits of what we CAN believe against the background of what CAN be believed.

12. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

ON or OFF. True or false. These are facts. Everything else is grayzone stuff and excists in a state of uncertainty. Mutating and formable into whatever you like. A paradox does not excist, it is merely a idea that counteracts itself.
    Loopholes in the programming of reality.
    Just reboot

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Fuzzy statements

In classic propositional calculus, every statement is either true or false (or possibly undeterminable). But that's not the only possible type of logic. For example, "fuzzy logic" assigns truth values on a continuum from 0 to 1, according the probability that the given statement is true. A statement with a value of 1/2 is neither true nor false. A statement with a value of 0.9 is mostly true.

Statements such as:
    are sometimes called <i>meta-</i>statements. They are statements about statements. The paradoxes of such statements arise from their self-referential nature. We can avoid the paradoxes in a technical way by not allowing a meta-statement to refer to a statement at the same meta-level (including itself). However, in the ordinary usage of language such paradoxes cannot be avoided. Perhaps the quoted statement is a good candidate for a fuzzy truth value of 0.5?

14. Tom311 Registered Member

How could a human be a paradox. Me in general. My teacher called me a paradox. How can this be?

The paradox definitin is a paradox by its very own definition.

15. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

SeekerOfTruth ...

Re. 'Degrees of Truth'

I wasn't much more than an ankle-biter when the following (more
    or less) was related to me to help me understand the inter-
    relatedness of 'truth', 'justice', and 'compassion' ...

The Prince, who had been captured and raised as the son of a far
    distant Lord returned to his native land and unwittingly slew his
    father. The law at the time required that a son who slew his
    father was to be drawn and quartered.

Upon hearing the circumstances, the magistrates of the Emperor
    allowed the Prince to be drawn and quartered facing the sky in
    recognition of his not having known it was his father whom he
    had met and slain on the field of battle.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  16. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

James R,
    You write about fuzzy logic. There seems to be something fuzzy about your logic
    The problem here is that "the probability that statement A is true" does not equal "the truth value of statement A".

This means that your " A statement with a value of 0.9 is mostly true." is misconceived. It should be something like " A statement with a value of 0.9 is most likely to be true."
    Thus, there are still no half-truths, no so-called 'gray areas'.

I the line of machaon's remarks on Escher's work: well just as I pointed out in my earlier piece in this thread, it is all about representations. These just happen to be visual, not linguistic.

SeekerOfTruth,
    Do you really think that truth is a value that is defined by the limited capabilities of those who are investigating it? This would mean that the truth is the insight one has on a particular moment.
    If that were so, then there is no point in investigating. If you do not investigate, the truth is what you believe it to be.
    Makes me wonder, where did you get your name?

Live long and prosper.
    Merlijn

17. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Descartes

Ok, far be it from me to disagree that Descartes was a crackpot, but I suddenly feel myself compelled to defend him.

Here is his argument, boiled down. He starts by assuming nothing exists, and nothing is true.

1 Thoughts are.
    Edit:1.5 Thoughts are percieved through this particular stream of conciousness.
    2 These thoughts whether poured into me or created myself are posessed, however transiently, by this stream of conciousness.
    3 If these thoughts are pushed into this stream of conciousness by a foreign entity, I exist.
    4 If these thoughts are created within this stream of conciousness, I exist.
    5 If ~3 then 4.
    6 If ~4 then 3.
    7 Therefore, I exist.
    8 Thus: I think, I am.

Generally speaking, paradoxes exist because of imperfections. Language has imperfections, so we can have bizarre statements with a true and false value. Escher can make fascinating visual paradoxes because it is not really possible to represent a three dimensional reality in a 2 dimensional projection. If anyone could build any of the things which Escher drew, that then would be a true paradox because it would have an underlying reality behind it. Words and pictures have no fundamental reality, they are tools which we use to express our understanding OF fundamental reality... I'm pretty much behind Merlijn on the rest of it.

18. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Thanks Riomacleod ,

Te thing I was referring to earlier was that
    is such a self referential system. The problem I wanted to point out is that the truthvalue of self referential systems cannot be determined.

Note however, that a self-referential system is paradoxal per se!
    For example:
    there is nothing paradoxal here.

19. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

No no! They are not self referential statements.

6 is not technically important to the proof, but is added to eliminate any other possibilities.

Line 5 can also read "these thoughts are either created by myself or created by something else"

Once you prove something as true, anything that logically flows from it is also true. This is why we have lemmas in mathematics.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Merlijn,

<i>The problem here is that "the probability that statement A is true" does not equal "the truth value of statement A".</i>

I apologise for my perhaps rushed and misleading explanation. To use fuzzy logic you really need to throw away the probability idea and just talk about the truth vales of statements. The thing about probability was to give you something convenient to hang on to while you were getting the idea.

21. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

James R,
    I have nearly no knowledge of Fuzzy Logic. It may very well be that you are right. But then again, what do we do with it?
    I for one have serious trouble with the notion of continuous truth values, I prefer the 0,1, undecided system. It's nice that the possibility of such a calculus exists, but does it add to the understanding of the nature of our universe?
    I can imagine that in some (strange) multiverse theory it can provide a meaningfull description of things... I think you get my drift here. But I am not too fond of the multi-universe idea of Deutsch (and others). Even though such a theory would, I guess, in principle be able to shed some light on paradoxes.
    Hmm, maybe somebody with a more thourough knowledge of the theory can tell us more about this.

Riomacleod,
    'Line 5 can also read "these thoughts are either created by myself or created by something else" '
    I knew what line 5 (and 6) means.... I think it is the beauty of Descartes insight.
    My problem is more on a meta-level. The notions of 'thoughts', 'consciousness' and 'I' cannot be separated.
    Thus, it all comes down to line/assumption (1)"Thoughts are". One cannot proof 'I' exist(S) from there, because that would mean one has to proof their assumption (1).
    the notion of "I" is a thought of a consciousness. And "thoughts" are what constitutes "consciousness" (does this make sense?).
    It is like "Consciouness" is a collection and "Thoughts" and "I" are elements of the collection.
    It's tricky. I am going to rethink it all. I'll let you know what I have come up with.

Live long and prosper.
    Merlijn

22. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi,
    it depends upon the side you first take a look.eg if you take a look at first side,where it is written the statement on other side is true,then the other side on the second look you find that NOW the statement has become false,until now it was true.the statements are interdependent and also dependent on instances you look at.
    bye!.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Merlijn:

<i>I for one have serious trouble with the notion of continuous truth values, I prefer the 0,1, undecided system. It's nice that the possibility of such a calculus exists, but does it add to the understanding of the nature of our universe?</i>

I've been thinking about this a fair bit recently, and I think that most scientific statements do not fall easily into a binary logic. Let me give you one example:

Scientists estimate the distances to certain stars called Cepheid variables using different methods. At this stage, we think we know how to measure the distance to certain Cepheids with a 15% degree of accuracy. For example, our best estimate of the distance to a particular Cepheid might be 100 light years plus or minus 15 light years.

Now, ask yourself: Is it true that this Cepheid is 100 light years away? If you say "Yes", what happens if it turns out to be 107 light years away when we get better data? If you say "No", then is it equally valid to say it could be 200 light years away? That's the problem with the true/false dichotomy. What we need (possibly) is an idea of "how true" something is. In the example, I would say it is "more true" to say the star is 100 light years away than to say it is 120 light years away, even though the 100 light year figure might not be spot on.

I realise that there are ways around this, but only at the expense of multiplying the number of binary statements we need to make. Even that doesn't necessarily solve all the problems.