How Bad Can Microsoft Be

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Neutrino_Albatross, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Stryder,
    that free thing is the most fearful thing for Software proffesionals and is hurting the most...

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

And i think GUI is also part of Linux.
    Bear in mind various situations.
    take Rocket launching computers,that is computers in traffic control center or traffic launchers.there you would expect the computers tobe GUI,isnt it?otherwise those people will be rather busy in memorizing commands,rather than calculating projectile motions and various predictions...

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

You don't memorize commands, you learn them.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Zion

They wouldn't necessarily memorise or learn a command, they would just program a macro to carry out a command cluster.
    I can see what you mean about GUI as an interface but in certain respects would you want say a missle defense running a GUI that any point-n-click script-kiddie could just walk up to an operate???

In truth the command-line OS is power because it's less consuming on resources, afterall to move a mouse cursor across the screen, how many modules have to be loaded?

This is especially the truth when it comes to a webserver or data-analysing system, they shouldn't worry too much about GUI because it's preference to open that processor right up. (I mean have it cycling without interfering modules.)

In fact some of the problems that caues crashes in windows is due to the memory allocation, and modules being loaded in conflict. (where two modules try to load into the same area)

That's what hte main aim was in XP I believe, in comparison to the old BSOD.

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

Memorization of commands comes from their usage and further exploration and experience.this is time consuming.
    Consider this:
    there someone known as Capt S.Piccard who is about to retire(he has a term remaining for 3 months)lets say he is not a computer literate,will the academy expect him to learn the computers first or not?.it will,most certainly and in that case he"ll find GUIs pretty useful.Untill we have prototypes like the one ASIMOV spaceship,where a mere touch on keyboard is required,brain will scan minds thoughts automatically and execute it,we have a long way to go and in this case GUIs will continue to provide ease of use to people.

Business men of today require GUI,they are getting so why waste time practising commands on shell prompt itself?
    And <b><i>we</b></i>are providing it to those people.Programmers are ones to blame not lame users...

I completely agree with you on the note that Command prompt is pretty fast and exudes Raw power.that is problably the reason why Keyboard is more popular with programmers than any other thing...

bye!

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

I cant believe you just said that.you"re an expert in programming field,so you know better than me.It just takes a single function to do that.
    Code:
    #include"stdio.h"
    #include"conio.h"
    #include"dos.h"
    #include"bios.h"
    union REGS i,o;
    initialize() //for mouse initialzation
    {
       i.x.ax=0; //service routine 0
       int86(0x33,&i,&o);
       return(o.x.ax);
    }
     void showmouseptr() //for showing mouse pointer  on screen
    {
        i.x.ax=1; //service routine 1
        int86(0x33,&i,&o);
    }
    void getmousepos()
    {
          int *button,x,y;
          i.x.ax=3;
          int86(0x33,&i,&o); //interrupt 33H is for mouse
          *button=o.x.bx; //when *button =1 mouse is left clicked etc...
          *x=o.x.cx; //x coordinates
          *y=o.x.dx;  //y coordinates
    }

you can use the above functions to do the things you mentioned.there some more like restricting a mouse pointer,hiding a mouse pointer,changing cursor shape etc...but they are not much they dont require much memory in execution state.
    that depends upon the type of CPU scheduling you"re using.in my mind Windows has lots of effective ways to do that.Priority based,SRTF,SRTN,SJF,RR(ROUND ROBIN) etc

thanks for your time.
    bye!

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Zion,

When I suggested the modules, I didn't mean just the basic code for the pointer, but the graphics compressed into DLLs being extracted, and animations also running causing multithreaded processing. (Thus my mention of modules)

I just had to clear that up a bit.

As for your mention of what process you use, well let me put it like this:

You run a windows system and have a bunch of programs the people have written using different processes, to be able to get them to load. The problem occurs when these processes find that they corrupt each others allocation, because their priority bases get too stretched.

I know this from watching server downtimes on a game that isn't even running on a windows system. The guy has a bunch of CRON events running to List the top 100 players of each race, now originally he had the CRON events all running at the same time rather than spacing them apart in CRON. This caused the dreaded Buffer overflow when you add on top of the 6 hour re-list and the hundreds of players that too cause priority overloads when they refresh from his server.

Plus, he just happens to be running a bulletin board on it, that gets packed with games players nattering which also causes yet more load pressure.

I really do hate Buffer overflows.

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

I am not sure what CPU scheduling Windows is using,but in SJF type schedulling ready queue executes the process running first even if another process which has entered has Burst cycle reduced or half than that of the process which has been given priority,since it had the least time in burst cycle.

the problem occurs in SRTF schedulling,thats because of quick switching of processes so as to make the job done fasters.thats where i think conflict might occur.so is Windows using which type,i dont know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bye!

13. kmguru Staff Member

There is no such thing called Free Lunch...

Sun Microsystems Inc.'s decision to start charging users for its upcoming StarOffice 6.0 desktop office productivity suite is coming at a price: Linux sales and service company Red Hat Inc. has decided not to use StarOffice 6.0 in any of its distributions going forward.

14. ImaHamster2 Registered Senior Member

15. Decimator Registered Member

lol that reminds me of a joke...

ahem

Knock knock!

whose there?

*15 second pause*

Lisa.

LOL *for those who don't get the joke i was implying that lisa takes forever to compute even the simplest of commands*

16. jjhlk Guest

I don't hate Windows 2000 Pro... I hate most other Windows operating systems. Maybe because the stupid masses use them, and I don't want to be grouped with those people. But maybe it's because the other versions of Windows really do suck!

I use Slackware Linux (latest stable) with Blackbox for a gui (I can't stand KDE or GNOME). It was hard to use at first since I grew up on windows, but that soon changed. It's way more interesting than Windows, more stable, more fun. But if you like gaming or graphics you're going to have a harder time than if you were going to use a Windoze or OS suX computer (mac os).

So untill the emulation gets better, or untill we see what Lindows can do, I'll have to use both to meet my needs.

17. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I hate windows because Microsoft always make half-assed products and they almost have monopoloy on everything. That is why I pirate all their software. It is not legal but a moral decision.

18. kmguru Staff Member

hmmm...excuses...excuses...

19. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

OMG how do you get around the copy protection??

That warning that says "please do not make illegal copys of this disc" foils me every time.....

20. Thirty Seven Baron von "Guns N' Roses" Registered Senior Member

Why do people think Microsoft is evil? Microsoft is one of the few remaining gems of American Capitalism thats hasnt been corrupted by radical liberals. Why is Microsoft great? Simply because it embodies America. Dog eat dog. Top man win. Best is better.

21. Rick Valued Senior Member

Prehaps JJ's first few lines in his post has specified the whole attitude of the people who call themselves the Linux Gurus and preach that salvation of human race lies in the hands of Linus Torvalds...

bye!

22. kmguru Staff Member

Has anubody heard of Free BSD with a killer GUI?....that can do your prom night video....

23. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The biggest problem is that Microsnot makes sure that everything is Winblows compatible, then everyone buys Windows because it will run everything, and then nobody makes thier products for other OSs besause there is no market.

Sun and Unix will continue to dominate mainframes. My father's work(Unigraphics) switched to Linux for thier workstations. As Linux is more Unix compatible...

Plus: Microsnot I heard said that people kept asking for more stuff, and so instead of fixing the bugs, they just kept adding more stuff, with more bugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.