How Bad Can Microsoft Be

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Neutrino_Albatross, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I have to agree about processors for PCs. They simply don't need to be any faster unless for some reason games development starts incorporating some ridiculously heavy-duty new stuff. Rather than blowing zillions of dollars on research to reach the next big CPU speed benchmark, people should be reducing the size and weight of operating systems.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

While I would hate to see MS broken up (for what it would do to the OS's), I do have a beef with them over the data collection. Another about when they want to have the right to "authorize" any changes I want to make to my computer. Yet another when they seek the right to slow down any competing software because it's run on Windows.

I finally found where to turn off the automatic updates that xp uses. It was bogging down my internet connection something terrible, as I use the standard phone modem connection. For some unknown reason, at the time, it would suddenly take 4 times longer to load a page. Later I found it was "connecting to the Microsoft update site" in the background. I dislike my computer going where I don't know.

If Joe Blow Public bought a used car, and found he could only install factory equiptment on it, he would hit the roof.

Hey, why is my car only wanting to make left turns and will not make right turns? And it goes bump, bump at speeds over 10 mile per hour.

mechanic, [in a voice used to explain to morons] because you bought tires from the tire shop and not from the manufacturer. They will only allow 1/2 the use of products they do not make on their vehices.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'll just quote one guy you all..........LOVE

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bill Gates when speaking about computer memory in 1981

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

I din't look at the link, but I am going to guess that it points to a flaw in Microsofts O/S.

Now, If Spotty computer geeks had something better to do in their spare time (like drinking!) instead of trying to break someone elses hard work by writting viruses etc, we would not have the security problem...

So the perfect answer is to make women suddenly like spotty computer geeks, this will distract them from their computers, and we wouldn't have to worry about the security problem. Unfortunatly that means less women for the rest of us... so perhaps we had better shout at Microsoft instead!

8. Rick Valued Senior Member

AHAHAHAHAHAHA...

you"re doing a great job Marsha.people on Science Forum are obsessed with the fact that Microsoft's S/W are nothing but weakpiece of coding.i asked Goofy in another thread,is that why MS comes under CMM LEVEL 5?
    the ammount of polling conducted in creation of MS's O.S is far greater than in any other OSes.
    Unix is cool,its a real powerful O.S,i agree but one cannot escape from the fact that Bill is earning great bucks from it and most common fellows refer to a computer with windows on it,not Linux...

bye!

9. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

I can't remember if i said this earlier, BUT...

you are right. Linux is one of the most powerful O/S's on the market. BUT you have to learn text based commands to get the most out of it.

Microsoft Windows however is so simple (when compared to the other o/s's around) that even your dumb blond secretary (no offence intended

) can figure out how to use it.

I think a poll should be started to find out how many people here use Microsoft programs, and how many use one of the other o/s's.

10. kmguru Staff Member

If you are comparing Linux, one should compare it to windows 2000 or XP pro. Why are we comparing a business product with a home product?

The declaration that Linux is more powerful, compared to what? Dodge RAM 1500 is powerful compared to Ford Pinto too. If you really want to compare Linux, compare it with HP/UX or Solaris. People have been using SCO/UNIX for a long time - 24x7 on the intel chip...

It is aapples and oranges here...

UNIX is Unix - no matter what flavor....

11. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

12. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Slight correction, the KT333A chipsets support 4 gigs of RAM. I thought I remembered reading that, but wasn't sure. When I opened up my computer yesterday, I saw 4 DIMM slots.... (on my 266A board)

Ooops, again. Looks like VIA has delayed the release a little. But the regular KT333's (not the A revision) support 4 (along with the 266A).

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

Let us tackle the whole thing professionally.
    earlier when the computers were used,they were mostly used by elites,as far i can remember.(before the days of internet,the proper Boom)that was time when most of the comp user were professionals.so the softwares were made mostly for business usage.that is to say they were business oriented.(apart from things like Mac)

Post internet scenario has bought a great change in software market.today software is sold as a commodity to a common man with promise of great reliability and ease of use,gone are the days when only elites could use the resources allocated by the OS.

with the above development the change has come in trends of making and implementing and O.S.UNIX earlier was a Teflon Babe.it always was a research oriented O.S available to only those elites who were either in a small time college or attending a degree or pg course in a University,they used to have their own network.At that time DOS came into the picture.it became immensly popular.later on when Windows was introduced it revolutionised the whole market.Mac was there,but with a sizeable group of people.so with this IBM family Windows came over.the sole reason of Windows success was its Home oriented,common user oriented approach and target.

All was okay until very recently this BUG called Linux was released by Linus Torvalds on a web site where the elite programmers group contributed heavily t its development.hence it became popular.Gradually Linux is begining to enter the territory of Home oriented O.S.large group of people are accepting it,for its security etc.this makes the whole thing go wrong.Windows market has been hijacked by Linux and it is growing there already 10 million users(they are very old estimates,they may be more).

so the point of this while thing is that Linux may be business oriented,but in todays market nothing is specific(especially for O.S) they are multipurpose things,like Windows NT server like softwares have also entered market of Unix,so things are changing fast.Unix is no longer Teflon babe,its open,its cheap,(its free for christ sake),plus it has advantages like you can modify it,so a customer is getting whatever he wants plus with add ons that he wont mind why wont he compare a Home soft with Business oriented Software?

bye!

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

And its hurting software professionals.people who bank on just software for their bread will be forced to sell their whole day and night work for nothing but a cheap vendor price or may be for free.

Until,the student period,i was always against copyrights about a softwares and charging money for it,but now that i will enter(i know someday)in that market,i know how it is for guys to earn if this GPL scheme takes charge...

Even AI based O.S will be educational,they are softwares you know,for educational purpose.

gee...

bye!

15. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

I agree with every thing you said.

BUT I was always under the impression that Unix was insecure. i.e. Solaris is littered with security flaws, and bearing in mind that Unix was orginally devoloped with the idea that no more than 20 users would ever use it, and those would be scientists, you cannot expect it to be secure.

I hope that made sense...

16. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Now I'm no expert on this, but this is what I have heard.

Linux is based on Unix. It was mainly developed by geeky home users and hackers (mind you, I said hackers, not black hat crackers).

The whole concept of it is free software. The free graphics editting program GIMP (www.gimp.org), the text and HTML program Textpad, the command-line program Cygwin, etc....

All of these are relatively high tech, complex, and powerful programs (even if they were basically "stolen" and modified underneath the surface - not that I am making any accusations).

To my knowledge you still can't run most mainstream programs on Linux.

IMO, whether microsoft makes functional software or not, they are evil (such as it is now being made more and more clear, they are trying to steal info from people). I'm not sure it really matters to me though, because I am using their software (though older versions of some things - as most of the newer ones grow nastier and nastier in every aspect)

I think it all really depends on what you want to use your computer for. Heck, if you want to print out life like graphics all day to start making a custom shirt business, you'd be better off buying one of those huge Cannon color laser image duplicators (though they cost around $15,000) than an iMac (even though, as I've been told at least, graphical design is the main purpose of Mac/Apple computers)

You wouldn't be able to get on the internet with a Cannon color copier (or do much else computer related, besides type on a little keypad and look at an LED screen), but you'll be able to print out special design paper that you can't paste on to shirts (some of which is equal quality to a custom airbrush job).

I really don't see any serious problems with operating systems except with microsoft's latest products (such as security issues, among other things).

I think pretty much any program out today (except those designed specifically for other OS) will run on 98 SE (which is what I am using). I don't need the power of XP Pro (I just rendered over 120MB of movies this morning using Ulead Visual Studio 5.0).

I guess it all really depends on what your priorities are.

Last edited: May 21, 2002
  17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Here we get into a problem. Microsoft wants to entrench and protect their market. As such, mentioned in another thread, they have brung up the possibility of slowing down any application that doesn't have the MS products brand on them and is attempted to be used with a MS OS. In otherwords they are thinking of the possiblity of getting you to fork over more money for the "privilege" of using that computer you purchased with their OS on it. That certainly does not endear them to me for trying to rule my computer and what I chose to use on it.

I have enough problems with the idea that Windows XP will require "permission" at some point from Microsoft when I go to modify my computer and update the hardware. That is intrusion and I do not like it. Nor do I care for the automatic updates that Microsoft thinks you should have without asking first. XP has a "feature" that comes enabled, that it will contact the Microsoft site and download updates, pass info from your computer, ect. It does not ask if you want to. It slows down your connection, as two applications fight for the same resources and you are wandering around trying to find why. I would hate to count the times that I have run the virus checker before I found where to turn the thing off at.

18. Rick Valued Senior Member

I am running original professional version.it does ask in my case what do you intend to do for these updates available,i always say remind me later(in 3 Days

)...

when it starts click on the tray where small ic of update is there.it"ll solve the problem.

bye!

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

whats so high tech about that stupid Vi editor that we are forced to worked with,everytime you use UNIX,it is so dumb,even my Notepad TSR can perform more functions than that.now off course things are improving,(like now they have something called Vi improved.)
    Most of the linux programs are simple to write but require some knowledge on your part,this is what i call lousy programming.that Vi for me took a long long time to learn and Notepad in windows?just couple of minutes.(actually its just a matter of becoming accustomed than learning).so one cannot say that Unix programs are so high tech,High tech programs are the ones which provie users the ease of use and Windows and Macs are doing that.Linux has just begun.
    Compatibility issues are there,but if you purchase a full fledged version of Linux from company like Red Hat or Caldera,you"ll find they have emulated most of the important softwares which are meant only for windows.these softwares are present within the O.S which makes it easy for users.

As far as hardware is concerned Linux is compatible with almost everything.hell it supports 400 different sound cards! what more could you ask?
    well first of all,theres no reason to call Microsoft evil.if i were in place of Bill gates i would have exploited the market to suit my needs,since i am the King in my software market.i would have blocked the development of other softs for my own business.you"re lucky enough Billy is not going this far.had it been the case,no one would have cared for making additional softwares for Linux.To my mind Windows XP professional is very very stable.most stable infact.

Okay,yes the problems exist,in security,i agree.but is Linux a Teflon Babe?hell no.most of the hackers havent used enough of their skill towards Unix,since they were busy with Ms products,since they are more popular.let unix become popular,people like them will find billion holes to exploit the hell cribbed security.
    yes you"re right.no argument here.

bye!

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

Wet1,

i think the basic problem is not MS products,its somehing else,you know what i mean?

bye!

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Well, I can't fault making a living. If my source of incoming came from that I would be making less racket also. Unfortunately, I'm one of the booze-oh's that have to put up with it without pay. That makes it a little less appealing.

22. sjmarsha Registered Senior Member

VI IS EVIL

Don't like VI, I only use Emacs... much better and very powerful!

So are you suggesting that most of the programs in Unix are stolen? From where?? GIMP is a group of programmers who make extremely good software FREE!! If you've got an accusation to make don't skim around it.

Just because something is high tech doesn't mean that it is powerful.

Note: When you are using VI remember that is was designed to be used WITHOUT a mouse, and doesn't have pretty pictures, hence making it feel alot harder to use. In reality it is alot more powerful than notepad!

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

As I kind of said in another post:

Microsoft wouldn't be so big, and have so many systems running their software if they hadn't of appealed to one human flaw.... Laziness.

The whole GUI/Point-n-click scenario changed the way that people are, before you use to spend hours mastering your typing skills so you wouldn't make so many mistakes while moving through directories, but the GUI made it possible just to click your way there.

As horrific as everyone states the products are (and they can be percievable bad) what exactly do you expect on a system that was build to cover dynamic calculations?

In other words the whole OS lives in a evolving world, and to evolve the flaws have to be covered. Now Microsoft is but one company, with a set amount of employees (who probably have jobs in the balance), while the Open-source OS's have people freely adding code and patches constantly, a truly evolving OS.

Microsoft's only flaw is not allowing preportion of it's code to be freely distributed without fear of legal comeback.

If you want all those bugs to be patched, it's got to be opened right up. (which is another portion of their legal battle)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.