Hope and faith

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Origen, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Origen Registered Member

I was recently had a discussion with a friend of mine about the difference between hope and faith. He implied that the two were completely different and were unable to coincide. I rebuked saying that the two had very little difference and that the diffences coincide.

Example: You have faith that there is a God, however you have this faith because you hope there is something more after this existance.

I am merely asking people's opinion on the issue. Things like if there is or is not a difference. And if you think there is then what is it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hockeywings Don't dance without music Registered Senior Member

My opinion is that faith is a belief that you believe based on little or no proof, and hope is something you realized has little or no proof but would still like to happen, but you do not necesarilly believe it to be true

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Origen Registered Member

My idea is that faith is a belief with some knowledge that can be related and hope is more or less without. So that wouldmake hope kind of a "Blind Faith" if you will.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

there's a difference in saying you hope god exist and you have faith that god exist. you could hope that there was a god but doubt that one existed.

but it's really all semantics...

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Faith and hope are two different things but they are almost directly related to each other.

Hebrews 11:1
    "1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. "

"Assurance" and "conviction" is to be sure about something. It is not just to believe something but also to know it. The Word of God is True. If you know that the Word of God is true, then faith becomes a knowledge. But not even just a knowledge...

Hebrews 11:3
    "3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible."

To have faith is to see things in the spiritual world, before they become visible, physical. It is not just a simple knowledge, it is true wisdom. "Faith is the eyes of the spirit."

Hope is to believe that something that you want will happen. Hope with faith gives you power to cahnge your life and that of those around you.