Homosexuality cured?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TimeTraveler, Jan 1, 2007.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Redarmy, I'm concerned about the species, thats why I can argue any side of this arguement. What difference does it make if children of the future are all one race, or of multiple races, as long as there are children in the future? What difference does it make how the future looks as long as there is a future?

I guess the only thing that matters to me, is that there is a future. Everyone else wants to argue over stupid shit, like if genetic engineering is right or wrong, while the future is being erased, they want to argue about homosexuality. The main issue is really clear, and that is, do we want to go extinct or not?

If you all decide you don't want to go extinct and that you want there to be a future, that is step 1.

After you pass step 1, then we are on the same page, we want a future, so how do we guarentee one?

The only way so far to guarentee one, would be to go along with the current plan that the masses have chosen, and thats only because no one offered an alternative plan. I mean if you think racism is bad, and that there should be no master race, fine, I tend to agree, but if thats not what society is doing or where society is headed, I'm just saying you have to adapt with the flow of society, you won't be able to control the future in such a way, that you can make society EXACTLY how you want it to be. Society is ultimately a concensus, it's what all of us are willing to accept. If you don't like the idea of the master race, then stop believing in the concepts that lead to that future, stop promoting "race" as a concept. If you promote race, you promote a master race.

If you don't support genetic engineering, then you'll have to find other ways to create options on how to make man smarter, or make men work harder, or give people more control over genetics, because people today are battling over genes because they don't control them and want to control them.

Look, if people could select for big breasts, a lot of women would not have breast implants, the fact that breast implants are so popular should show you that if we could genetically select appearance people would do it. I mean, if you say I'm playing devils advocate, give some alternatives that the masses can accept, because if you just say we are going to wake up tomorrow and the hate in the world will be gone, or if you say that aliens will come and solve our problems, or angels, or whatever, no I won't take it seriously.

So if genetically engineering is not going to help humanity, what is? Since you decided to comment, you are given the responsibility to respond with ideas. Bells always talks a lot but never has any ideas, just says everyone elses ideas are wrong, but never has anything new to say.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TimeTraveler:

Why should parents choose the genetic qualities of their children?

Are you so sure they'll all make wise choices? Are you sure they're qualified to make proper choices?

Or will they just choose on a whim, thus potentially subjecting their child to a lifetime with some deficiency or defect they didn't anticipate?

I think you're trying to portray the religious as "other", when in fact they are you, or you are them.

It is interesting that you talk about "opinion leaders" in the same breath that you say individual opinions don't matter. You're contradicting yourself.

I'll say it again: homosexuality is not a disease. It needs no "cure".

I don't know where you get your "many" figure from; I'll agree to "some". Where this happens, the cause is almost always religion-related.

This suggests to me that the religion is the problem, not the homosexuality. Wouldn't you agree?

Why not cure the parents of their homophobia? A bit of compulsory counselling might work - no drugs required.

The parents have the problem here, not the children. You're "curing" the wrong people.

I know many who do.

So, tell me something I don't know. The Christian Right has deep, ingrained issues.

The Christian Right is tolerated, too.

And that makes them right?

Then you will agree that homosexuality is becoming more "normal" over time. Soon, it will become completely "normal".

Funny, since their religion is supposed to promote love and acceptance. It's one of the main tenets of Christianity, supposedly.

These people don't even follow their own religion, yet they want to tell other people what to do and control their lives.

I don't believe the "average man" is a hater like you do.

I don't believe Baron Max is the "average man" either. Many things about him put him on the fringe.

So, why not just lock up all the haters, since we can't "cure" them? Why make other people pay for their faults?

All the way to what?

Either you agree it is not a choice that can be dictated by "fashion", or you think it is a choice and therefore subject to "fashion". Which is it?

No. You post these kinds of posts because you're both misanthropes.

I disagree. Where are your statistics?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Parents already choose the genes of their children, and obviously they arent doing a good job, look at the world. The world is like this as a result of choices parents made.

Everyone is religious, even athiests. I'm of the more scientific sort, I tend to agree with whereever science leads, I think science and religion are good, but there are other religions which are completely anti-science and which make absolutely no scientific sense whatsoever, and don't have to. That's the key difference. If you can prove homosexuality is a genetic advantage through studies, I'll take it seriously, I just don't see how it's an advantage scientifically, because too much of it brings a species into extinction, it's going to be very difficult to make the case that it should not be a choice.

Opinion leaders may not neccessarily hold strong opinions. Opinion leaders are people who go on TV, to shape popular opinion. They are representitives of groups of people who are powerful enough to hire opinion leaders.

Tell that to the majority, who believe it is a disease and needs to be cured. I don't know why you want to tell it to me, as if I'm a representitive of the Christian right.

Exactly, it is about religion. Most of these issues are religious in nature.
    This is why you cannot really change peoples minds. You can only reduce the suffering for those who are not yet born. You can assume there will be even more religious type people in the future who hate gays than there are today.

Religious extrememism may be a problem, but theres nothing we can do about it. I think when it comes to the church, right now, homosexuality should be kept far away from it. I have nothing against homosexuals, but I think the phrase "gay marriage" just pisses the wrong people off. I think if someone is homosexual, hell, if I were a homosexual, I'd be promoting civil unions, and I'd invent my own church for homosexuals, and have my own religion, and traditions, etc. I think the problem here is that Christianity as a culture and as a relgiion is not designed for tolerance. It's not going to be easy to change this either. It's not that all christians are like this either, it's the hater type christians.

Because we don't know how to do that yet. Also by the time someone is a parent it's a bit too late to cure them, maybe as children.

I say everyone has problems, just different problems. It's not really about which people get cured, it's about the best interest of humanity. Parents are already born, it's not going to be possible to cure those who are born already.

No, I don't think it will become completely normal anymore than I think we will have a homosexual president, or a black president. If Hilary becomes President, then maybe I'll be less cynical, because at least we'd be able to say we had a female President, because if we can't even have a female President, then we have not come very far as a society.

That's exactly my point. People who are not truly religious, sometimes use religion to trick true believers into hating stuff.

Exactly.

The average man is such a hater, that we need hate crime laws, we need to make murder and rape illegal, and we have to pay people with guns to protect us. That's how bad the average man is, the average man is such a vicious animal, that we are constantly afraid of and fighting to contain and control the beast.

How do you think the world would be if we got rid of all laws and all government? Within a matter of days, your door would be broken in, people would be robbing you, stealing your food, women would be raped, people would start killing each other, gangs would form, and then they would start warring with each other over turf, and over little petty things. Over a period of months, the gangs would break down into families, and as people become more and more suspicious of each other, eventually it will be everyone against everyone.

The only reason society does not break down into an all out war of all against all, is because we agree to put the power of military force into the hands of leaders who use that military force to protect us from ourselves.

Because the haters might control the prisons. Maybe the haters are the ones with all the guns. If it ends up like that, you can thank people like bells, who support gun control. I mean if you really want to spend your time tracking down haters and putting them in prison, join the police force.

I think we should make it a choice so it can be dictated by fashion, and the way to do this is to cure it.

You are right, I do distrust mankind, why would anyone trust such a disloyal species as this one? I can trust the average dog more than I can trust the average human. Humans are among the least trustworthy of species. Look at what humans do to each other routinely, there are parents who rape their children, priests who molest, there are wives and husbands who murder each other, there are police officers who sell drugs, and then lock people up for selling drugs. The world is corrupt as hell, it's filled with corrupt people, who don't care about anything besides making a buck. People will do anything for money, people will do anything to get what they want.

Humans, are animals, like all the other animals, I don't hate humans, some humans I like, or love even, and these humans are better than any other animal on earth, but then you have other humans who are worse than dogs, worse than the most vicious of animals.

When you want ot design laws, a society, a space for animals to live in, you cannot design that space, for the best amongst that animal species. You have to design that space to contain and control the worst amongst that animal species.

Look at a prison, yes, some people in prison are good, honest, hard working, you could put them in prison without bars, you could let them work with knives, you could leave the door wide open and they wouldnt try to escape because they feel guiilty for whatever crime they did, you can keep these people in the minimum security prison. However, you still need prison guards, you still need to remove the knives from cells, you still need to control the gangs that form, and deal with these criminals even if they are not violent criminals, because one violent criminal in this environment will quickly rise to leader of the pack, and this could make all the non-violent criminals become violent, or riot even.

So you see, if you want to understand human nature, all you have to do is watch prison documentaries. You can see them on MSNBC just about every weekend or every night even. Society is designed to control the most violent people in our prisons, not people like you and me who won't even think about commiting certain crimes, but to control the people who if there were no laws against it, would be out acting like wild animals.

So in this perspective, society has to be tough enough to deal with the most insane and wild of the human animal. Humans are animals, and have to be controlled just like all the other animals. The government exists to control and manage the human species, and a successful government, protects the best and most successful humans, from the most violent and wild humans.

I care about the species, and I understand we'd go extinct immediately if we had no government to keep us in our place. When I was younger I used to think we could be anarchists, I believed that all people were responsible, and loved one another and all the stuff that people like bells seem to believe, but then I looked outside of myself and saw that the majority of humans are haters, and spend thier time trying to destroy everything. I realize now that the government has the important job of reducing the destructiveness of mankind, for the sake of mankind.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spudly Registered Member

if humans cannot accept homosexuality, why are a portion of the human race homosexual themselves?

8. Spudly Registered Member

if humans cannot accept homosexuality, how come a portion of the human race itself homosexual?

9. Spudly Registered Member

you need to find faith in the human race, holdin the view that everyone hate somone ant there is nothing we can do about it is very pesamistic. please somone give me the name of the person i am about to quote:
    "bad things happen when good men do nothing"

10. Spudly Registered Member

i personoly do not think it is abnormal, but do see the argument that homosexual activities are not what our reproductive organs were designed to do, looking at it from a purly scientific point of view. on the other hand, socialy, moraly and religiously it becomes a much more difficult argument to find the cold hard facts.

11. Bells Staff Member

So instead of focusing on the haters, you prefer to give into them? Interesting.

If the goal of haters and if humans do hate to such an extent, how will "curing" homosexuality cure them of their hatred? You've already said it won't so I guess it's a moot point really, but if haters can't be cured of their hatred, why are you picking on the innocent people out there instead and helping focus more hatred on them with this so called "cure" for homosexuality? What will happen to those who decide to not have the treatment?

My point is, you haven't given a single reason as to why homosexuality needs to be cured. It's not a disease so there is really no cure. But in light of that fact, you have failed to provide a single logical reason to get rid of homosexuality. It won't stop people hating, so that's out. Even if homosexuals no longer exist, humans and those who might have been homosexuals would still be subject to human hatred. The article states that homosexuality can be "cured" from when a woman is pregnant, so the issue of choice is taken from the homosexual so your argument of a patch to let someone be 'gay for a day' is just your imagination at this point. And if we are so hell bent on getting rid of homosexuality now, why in the hell would anyone choose to be homosexual in the future? So again, give me one logical reason as to why homosexuality needs to disappear, keeping in mind it won't get rid of the hatred that exists?

They do? Hmmm... well it has come to pass that homosexuality is not really a choice. And the article proposes that it will never be a choice because the mother wears a patch that alters her hormones to ensure the child she carries will not be homosexual. So how exactly would a person "decide" to be gay? Or are you dreaming up something that is not in existence and is not mentioned in the article?

Ah so you wish to "cure" homosexuality because it's not fashionable? And why do you rely so much on what is fashionable? Aren't you the little fashion bunny! Fashion is fickle and changes on a daily basis. After all, who'd have thought the bubble skirt would ever make a comeback, but it's back. So why are you relying on fashion to decide what steps humanity should take in self preservation and self identity?

My parents are deeply religious and I am an atheist. So should I be cured of my atheism as well? So now you're saying mothers should pump themselves full of hormones to prevent her future suffering in case her child is gay? How delightfully selfish of her. So if the hormones she'd have to take to ensure a straight child later shows to have other adverse affects on her child, what then? Hey so long as it's not gay huh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Surely you jest!

So if the majority of the population in the US believe in creationism, even though there is no evidence to support it and there is a wealth of evidence to support evolution, creationism would be real, simply because the majority believe it to be real?

So if the majority woke up tomorrow and decided that there were talking fairies at the bottom of the garden, talking fairies would automatically be real?

And if those people were somehow in the majority, the earth would be flat and hollow, regardless of evidence to prove otherwise?

So you think it better to give in to those people and sweep up the problems of the world under the carpet and hope like hell they focus their hatred elsewhere? So how will 'designer babies' make those people stop hating women or homosexuals? Breed them out of existence altogether? Why are you so intent on giving in to the haters to such an extent? Why instead of fighting them, you choose to give them just what they desire?

Baron has also said in a number of posts that he likes to have sex with his farm animals. You sure you want him on your side?

And just because a few of you post dark gloomy posts, it does not mean that's how the world is. If you look through this thread, you're pretty much on your own in your beliefs. Hardly supportive of your claim of "how it currently is" now is it?

I want you to give me proof that the majority in the world have decided on creating a master race.

And TT, you forget that culturally, we don't all like the same thing. So your version of a master race, will not be the same as someone else's. So for the whole of the world to decide on what is 'pleasing' in a master race, well it would be impossible. If you are going to base your beliefs on what is "in" in Vogue magazine for example, well you'd go insane since what's "in" changes month by month.

So please TT, prove to me that the majority of the world have decided on what should be the master race. Otherwise I am going to think your whole argument is a figment of your overactive imagination.

Prove it.

Just because the majority are supposedly for toture, abortion, etc, does not mean it would support or want genetic engineering. You are attempting to project your own personal beliefs on the majority.

People who are usually that pro-life are also deeply religious. And they are the ones who are the most violently opposed to things like stem cell research and genetic cloning for scientific or medical purposes because they think it might lead to what you say they all want (designer babies). You are looking at this at what you think society wants or should want. The reality is far different. Just look at the arguments for stem cell research alone and you'd see how the majority actually think. Look at the arguments against cloning (remember Dolly?) and see for yourself how much the majority opposes it because they think it could lead to genetic engineering and designer babies. Maybe it's time for you to put down the sci-fi books and look at the world around you instead of projecting your desires and thoughts and claiming that's how the world thinks.

So all races of the world want a master race to suit their own particular likes or racial features? People are racist because they think their own race is superior. Does that mean we're to have several "master races" to suit each group? Don't be so naive.

What makes you think we are on the brink of extinction as we are now?

We are more likely to face extinction from a giant asteroid slamming into us, then we are from our genes. So genetic engineering won't do squat to save us from extinction. In fact, genetic engineering would more likely lead to our extinction as we tinker with natural biological evolution.

Because the people who actually do hate to such an extent, are usually deeply religious, believe in god created us, and believe that any form of science that might help us as being us playing God. Don't you get it, racists are racists because they hate anyone different in appearance from themselves. They want to control it through means of exclusion, division and sometimes even internment, imprisonment or murder. Their version of a master race (if they suddenly decided to leave God behind and become somehow scientific) will suit their own desires (as to what it should look like), like a racist, in say China, might view a master race as being something totally opposite. So no, a master race won't ensure the end of racism. It will just ensure that each race thinks itself above others and better than others, leading to futher hatred and possible more wars. You are looking at the master race issue only from a western perspective. Why should people in Africa, Asia or South America for example, agree that blonde and white is the preferred race when it does not suit their own view of what should be superior?

You do realise you are sounding more and more paranoid and well, nutty?

You think people want the right to choose a designer baby because that's what YOU want. What YOU want does not always mean that everyone wants the same. Just makes you look childish.

I like how you totally ignore other races when you say people will want their children to be "aryan". Don't you get it? What you or some others in the West might view as being desirable will not be viewed in the same light in other parts of the world. Religion is not biological but is taught by the family or community. So unless you somehow want to tweak the genes to ensure that children become slaves to their parents desires and beliefs, you'd be kidding yourself if you think a designer baby will automatically be as religious as its parents.

Is it now? I've heard a lot of weird stuff in my life, but I've yet to hear that one.

Where does it say that in the article? Or are you simply thinking ahead? Because the article is saying that homosexuality can now be cured (as though it's a disease which it is not) by the mother having hormonal treatments when she's pregnant, thereby taking a way the individuals "choice". Or are you dreaming of the day when a patch can be released to allow someone to be 'gay for a day'?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And yet you have offered no proof that "that's how it is". You are merely saying that's how it is in your own mind. Therefore, you are kind of saying that's how it should be. Lets not forget your own words in your opening post in this thread:

"I think parents should be able to select, sexuality, race, and gender of the fetus. Genes should be chosen in a lab."

So you don't advocate it, but you just think that's how it should be. Heh..

And here I thought you said you don't advocate this?

This is, well, science fiction, in the extreme. Do you honestly think that the majority want this to happen? Keeping in mind the consequences, do you honestly believe that this should be reality? You'd want there to be a greater divide between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' in that those who can afford it would have their children genetically engineered, while the poor would be left to the wayside in some nightmarish Gattica reality? Did you even get the message behind the story of Gattica?

That's hilarious!

Do you honestly think Catholics, as one example, would be willing to turn a blind eye to genetic engineering because you think they'd want a master race since all religions are racist? You do realise that Catholics don't even like or believe in IVF don't you? They don't even believe in condoms, but you think they would accept designer babies? Are you delirious?

Well the majority who are religious, according to you. Do you even take notice of what you type?

As a parent, I can tell you now you are so way out there, that it's not even funny anymore.

So how will designer babies, curing homosexuality and genetic engineering stop us from killing each other into extinction? Because with designer babies and genetic engineering you'd have created a greater divide between the rich and the poor, you'd ensure homosexuality became outlawed completely. And those who can't afford the "treatments" would ensure their children were seen as second class citizens. So this would then breed more and new hatreds, leading to possibly more wars, further ensuring we do slaughter ourselves to extinction.

Have you completely lost your mind?

So because I am against genetic engineering, I'd shoot up a school? You are seriously losing the battle here TT and are now reduced to ranting insanities and utter stupid claims to attempt to boost your own argument.

So instead of curing homosexuality, why aren't they curing hatred? Wouldn't that just make things so much easier?

Twisting your words? TT, you have twisted yourself into a knot with your own words and are now floundering.

I was going by the article YOU posted. They are saying that homosexuality could possibly be cured, therefore homosexuality would cease to exist, therefore leading to homosexuality being destroyed in that sense. Do you get it? I'd suggest you re-read the article YOU posted and get back to me. Because you appear to be jumping from one thing to another, forgetting you started the post with the article claiming homosexuality could possibly be "cured" by the mother having doses of hormones injected into her or through a sticky patch to her skin, so her child is born straight.

We can become extinct in a blink of an eye and we'd have nothing to control or stop it. A giant meteor or asteroid could smash into us and we'd simply cease to exist. Genetic engineering won't do squat to save us in such a catastrophy.

And yet you'd trust those parents to choose the genes of their children through the means of "designer babies"? You think they'd do a better job if they could shop for what they want or design their children? You seriously think parents will save the world by choosing wisely if they have (by your very own admission) done such a bad job of it already?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  12. infoterror Registered Senior Member

I kind of like the idea of restricting genetic experimentation until humanity is in control of itself.

Still, a gay sheep sounds like an AWESOME pet.

13. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I have faith in man's greed and selfishness.

Here is a quote for you from Thomas Hobbes

"In the state of nature profit is the measure of right."
    Thomas Hobbes

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Well, how exactly can humanity gain control of itself with no genetic experimentation?

It seems, our current concepts of genetics arent even scientific, and humans seem to want to mate with the most stupid, yet physically most attractive mates.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

One of the main reasons for having children is grandchildren. Reproduction is your shot at immortality. In this era when one or two children is the norm, who can afford to invest the time and money in a child that will never reproduce?

I'm not saying I would disown a child who was gay or couldn't reproduce, but if a simple test could prevent it, why not? It's no different from treating midgets with growth hormone which I would also do.

One of my four children has Down's syndrome. I love him as much as any of them and would, no doubt, love any of them that turn out to be gay. But if I could cure my son with a shot I'd do it in a minute with no concern for him losing his identity as a "mongoloid". I view his Down's syndrome as an obstacle he has to overcome, not as what defines him. I see homosexuality in the same way.

I would never force adult homosexuals to undergo treatment they didn't want. But I'd be all for allowing parents to prevent it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  16. Bells Staff Member

Is it?:bugeye: I can honestly say that I did not have children to become a grandparent later on in life. The thought never even entered my mind. To each their own I guess.

Not everyone looks at it that way.

A child can become just as unlikely to reproduce by choice, illness, death.. a wealth of reasons. If every parent looks at their child as some kind of baby maker, than I can understand now where some of the pressures on homosexuals to not be homosexuals stems from. If we as parents are parents for selfish reasons such as immortality and grandchildren, those reasons could be one of the primary causes as to why homosexuals do suffer. I have a child and am having our second not because I want grandchildren or wish to be immortal through my children. What kind of pressures would I be putting on my children if I were to live and believe that way?

Down Syndrome is in no way akin to be homosexual. Believe me if there was a way to cure your son and other down syndrome children, I'd say yes in an instant. But homosexuality is not a disorder that needs to be cured.

If we keep viewing it as such, then it is we who have and are the problem and not the homosexuals.

I want you to think about something. What kind of pressure would there be on parents to have the treatment if it became available? From society as a whole I mean. Imagine the parents who don't wish to pump the mother full of hormones to prevent it and they do have a child who is homosexual. How will society treat or view them and their child? Keep in mind we aren't talking about a disease or a disorder.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I want you to think about something. I'll bet every homosexual went thru a period when they weren't sure of their sexuality. When they tried to be normal. You think they wouldn't prefer to be like everyone else? Give the teenager, who has not yet invested his identity in his sexual orientation the choice and he'd opt to be normal 99% of the time.

If the "cure" were an over the counter pill that could be taken as an adolescent, I'll bet you'd see young homosexuals opting for the treatment in droves.

18. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Does being a capitalist mean you give into greed?

Just like greed can be channeled into positive force, so can hate. Homophobia could lead to cures for many other diseases but I guess you don't have a long term view.

It's not really about homosexuals to me. It's about cures.

What if humanity, human nature itself, is the disease?

I did not get a choice to be circumsized or not, or choose my sexual preference. I was born attracted to females.

I think humans need to get control over their sexuality period. We should start with homosexuality to open the door to all the other sexual cures and enhancements.

I never said that.

No, the PARENTS would have the choice. Why shouldnt parents have the option to choose the genes of their children?
    After all, who'd have thought the bubble skirt would ever make a comeback, but it's back. So why are you relying on fashion to decide what steps humanity should take in self preservation and self identity?

Race fashion has not changed for thousands of years, and homosexuality has not been in style since greece.

Religion is not genetic. That's like thinking there can be genetic mind control.

No, if your child is going to be abused and the cure is harmful, then you should do everything within your power to protect your child. Sometimes giving a child a different name can prevent the child from being bullied, but if all else fails, then you'll have to teach the child to be aggressive enough to fight bullies. I can't believe you are preaching to me telling me how weak I am when you are afraid of guns.

Evolution is evidence of creationism.

Yes, are aliens real? are angels real? is the material universe real?

Exactly.

How will abortion help anything? it's the same thing. It's about giving more choices to parents.

On some issues, he's right. He's right on guns, and he's right on having no faith in humanity.

It's not just me posting this. ALL of us, millions, plus the majority of the people who actually know how the world works, and the scientists, and those who spend all their lives trying to make the world better all agree that humans are causing their own misery. Thomas Hobbes said these things a long time ago, the founding fathers knew this and thats why they made this country a republic.

Go to a nazi or aryan brotherhood website. Go read about Hitler, he has a book. I mean damn, you havent read his book?

I don't have a version of a master race. I'm just saying, Hitler had a plan, you might not agree with it, but who else had a plan that bold?

What is your race? What is your caste? Which race seems to be the master? That should be proof that people believe in the master race. If race exists at all, some one will try to make their race superior, so the concept of race itself leads to a master race.

Tell me how someone can be for abortion but against genetic engineering when both are reproductive rights issues? Tell me how a person can be for the death penalty yet against abortion?
    These people don't make any rational sense.

I'm pro life. Stop stereotyping, I'm not against any of those things like designer babies, it depends on your religion.

Society is not about polls, numbers, or what people say, society is about what people do. People support cloning because they buy cloned food, they fund it, they even support it emotionally by spewing hate, everything humans do, leads to genetic engineering. Just like everything else, it's all cause and effect.

If no group wanted a master race, why do all groups accept race as a concept?

Global warming?

Good genes would mean the intelligence to predict and prevent an astroid from hitting. If we are too busy blowing each other up, we won't notice the astroid.

Not all racists are haters. Some racists love their race and just want to be proud of it, these racists are not bad people. They don't want to harm you or your child, they just don't want to raise their child around your foreign culture. Then you have haters, who don't even love their own race, and do more damage ot the human race than anything good. I think you know the difference between a hater, and someone who is proud of their race. A person who is proud of their race, can be friends with people of other races and respect or even love people of other races, they just want to preserve their cultural and racial identity, and to do this, they will marry within their own race, and want to protect their heritage, language and culture etc. This is not the same as the groups of people who spend their time bullying other races of people, or who think their race is superior, or whatever. So what I'm saying is, not all racists are bad people, and yes it's difficult to believe, but I've personally seen some racists who are good ethical people, who just have strange racial beliefs. So it's not always about hatred, you need to see that.

There are haters who just want to hate, thats not the same as a racial seperatist. Not all racists are murderers, or even capable of murder, and not all of them want exclusion, or division, or interment, or imprisonment. Some racists are racist because they want something to feel proud of, it's about family pride, and I can understand that thinking. Then you have people who feel like their race makes them superior to everyone else, and that they are born to rule over everyone, this is a completely different kind of individual, because domination has nothing to do with pride. If you are truly proud, and truly have a healthy and high self esteem, you don't need to dominate others to prove yourself worth, you'll be able to do it on merits alone, and it will be a battle within yourself, not a situation where you have to blame a scapegoat for your problems.

Every race has it's good and it's bad people, every race has it's problems, but if each race looks outside of itself to blame the "other", they won't solve anything. Just like blaming the white man all the time solves nothing, blaming the black man all the time also solves nothing. If you want to solve something, blame yourself, and start with yourself.

There was no Hitler of China, I don't know why you keep comparing Europe to China, as if there was a man like Hitler in China saying that the Chinese race should dominate the earth. I'm sure there are racists and haters in China, but Hitler was the man with the master plan, not some guy in China. Hitler should recieve ALL credit or that plan because he wrote the book.

Why do people all around the world agree that blondes should be the master race? Because disagreeing will not be an option. If you read Hitlers book, or you read any of the writings of people who believe in these ideas, you'll see that no where in their plans do they plan on giving different races the option to choose a master race. The master race therefore is the race with the most weapons, and it's really been that way all along.

What do you want? what are your ideas? right you have none, all you can do is complain about other peoples ideas, you have no ideas yourself and you just whine and complain.

A lot of people did not and do not agree with Hitler.
    The thing about Hitler was, he did not care if you agreed with him or not, he would use force to make you agree with him even if you disagreed. So people had to agree with Hitler.

Do humans want more control and choices? Yes. It's in human nature to want this.
    I know you advocate communism, but unless we wake up communist, then there will always be haves and have nots, and we only get to aim for the maximum amount of choices. Libertarians want the maximum amount of economic choices, this allows an intelligent and hard working individual to at least have a chance to make money in the free market. If there are no choices, if theres just one company like Walmart which sells everything to you, and everyone makes minimum wage, thats communism, and you can see it's worse.

I never said that about catholics and most catholics do use condoms, even if the pope might disagree.

Would you rather a class divide, or a race divide? I'd rather have a class divide because a race divide ignores merit, ignores intelligence, ignores hard work, it ignores human potential, it's just, you can't know anything about a person just by race, and you can't change your race. Class however you can move up and down, it might not be likely, but it's possible. There are atheletes and movie stars, and people who do great things in life who started at the bottom of society, so lets give people some credit, in America it is possible to grow a rose from concrete. This is not possible anywhere else. If you want to have the caste system decide, move to India where people who are born poor die poor with no possibility of advancement.

Because people like you don't want any cures at all.

Maybe if we were all as intelligent as Stephen Hawking we could get off the earth and build a colony, maybe we could become more like ants and less like apes.

Do you feel comfortable with people selecting women by their breast size? Or by skin color, or whatever the hell people define as fashionable?

19. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Perhaps evolution? If each generation is forced to work hard toward becoming strong intellectually, physically, and psychologically, evolution would take it's place. Genetic engineering is just a way to cheat nature, not that that's bad.
    You think counseling would work?
    I would advocate genetic engineering, but I've heard it's kind of dangerous right now.
    Do you have studies that can prove that?
    I don't know much about any studies on homosexuality, but I know that it has nothing to do with extinction. Homosexuality(or more primarily, bisexuality) has existed throughout societies since pre history. As far as it's advantages, I'd assume some psychological attributes come along with sexual orientation(is that true?), similar to gender. If that's true, then some of the worlds greatest people, such as Alexander the Great and DeVinci(who's estimated IQ is 220) must owe some of their greatness to psychology. Even if that's not the case, homosexuals serve a higher purpose, which is promoting cultural diversity. Outside of countries dominated by Abrahamic religions, homosexual experience has become part of many cultures. The Greeks, Romans, the samurai in Japan(through practice of shudo), native americans, and central asians all are documented to practice homosexual acts regularly. Granted that(I think) none of these groups were primarily homosexual, it's still something that has gone towards developing their respective cultures. Anyway, I have to finish some school work...

20. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I know you arent naive enough to think this. Do you really believe, that intelligence is more important than say, wealth, or power, or how many weapons you have access to? Evolution of the brain has stopped because huamns like to kill off their smartest and most intelligent, and the gun is one of the inventions that made it possible. Before the gun was invented, it was an art to master the sword, then the gun came along and any thug could take out a genius at the push of a button, and with each generation it becomes more and more true.

We are not evolving mentally, we are evolving physically, our bodies change, our appearances change, but our brains have not changed much.

Why do you worry about how dangerous it would be? The world is dangerous, we live in a world with biological weapons, plagues, nano weapons, viruses, nuclear weapons, etc and you worry about genetic engineering? The only way humans will survive is through genetically engineered immunity.

We are evolving too slowly to survive, and the proof will be our extinction.

I'm not talking about bisexuality, I'm talking about homosexuality. Homosexuals cannot have sex and reproduce, and of course if we all were homosexuals we'd go extinct, unless of course we genetically engineer ourselves out of it.

IQ is just a number to me, although I do believe Da Vinci was a genius, there were and are many other geniuses around in every generation from every part of the world. I do like diversity, but lets be honest, most of the world does not give a damn about cultural diversity, and hates other cultures, and other people different from them, so you have to accept that the world is culturally ignorant.

I did not say homosexuals were bad, or did not contribute. I'm saying what is the function of homosexuals for a species? What can homosexuals do, better than say, straight people, and why does society need homosexuals?

Just saying cultural diversity, thats the same thing people say about race, people say we need all this multi-culturalism, but at the same time these same people don't live next to any minorities, or any homosexuals, and in some cases don't know anyone like this, or have any friends like this, and never dated or loved anyone like this, so it's just empty words.

If a person is going to preach cultural diversity, they should have some personal experience with it. So you can tell me, your experiences with your gay friend, and then you can explain in detail why homosexuality is good culturally, from the straight point of view.

You cannot however, just make empty statements based on historical experiences that you personally did not have, and you cannot claim homosexuality is important unless you have important friends who are homosexual. So the test is, how many homosexual friends do you have and what do they tell you?

Some of the people I know who are homosexual, are in the mindset that they want to be normal, and wish they werent homosexuals, and are ashamed of it. I don't know if this is the average mindset, but it seems people who are homosexual get punished for being that way by their families and friends. I'm one of the people who do not judge others by their sex lives, in fact,I I don't care what they do with other adults in the bedroom, but some people do get judged just by being homosexual, and they do get discriminated against, and you might not want to admit to this or agree with it, but the world discriminates against homosexuals to the point where they are not allowed to adopt children, are not allowed to marry, and there are constant jokes against them, and taunting, and bullying, all their lives.

Why do you want people to go through that?

21. imaplanck. Banned Banned

You are caught up in the belief that everyone who has an avoidence of being penetrated by another male is a hater, why cant you see that this avoidence is just as natural as homosexuality itself.

You have been presented with the major reason several times i.e. it should be up to the individual whether they want their sexualality adjusted from a mental perspective as opposed to physically(as is done now in the case of sex change operations).

22. Bells Staff Member

On the contrary. I just believe that homosexuality is not a disease to be cured. There are homophobes out there who would demand that all parents undergo this kind of treatment (if it ever came into fruition). And then there are others how are quite happy to let people live their lives and their sex lives as they see fit.

If it came down to the individuals who were homosexual, then yes, the choice should be theres and theres alone. However the article does not propose that homosexuals be given any choice. Instead it is proposing that women who when pregnant can take certain hormones to help ensure her child is not born a homosexual. This I believe ensures that there would be no homosexuals around to choose either way.

The article does not even mention that homosexuals should even have a say. It merely proposes a time when there would be no homosexuals as they would be cured from the womb. Remember the words from the article posted by TT on page 1?

"It raises the prospect that pregnant women could one day be offered a treatment to reduce or eliminate the chance that their offspring will be homosexual. Experts say that, in theory, the “straightening” procedure on humans could be as simple as a hormone supplement for mothers-to-be, worn on the skin like an anti-smoking nicotine patch."

--------------------------------------------------

"Potentially, the techniques could one day be adapted for human use, with doctors perhaps being able to offer parents pre-natal tests to determine the likely sexuality of offspring or a hormonal treatment to change the orientation of a child.

Roselli has said he would be “uncomfortable” about parents choosing sexuality, but argues that it is up to policy makers to legislate on questions of ethics.

Michael Bailey, a neurology professor at Northwestern University near Chicago, said: “Allowing parents to select their children’s sexual orientation would further a parent’s freedom to raise the sort of children they want to raise.” "

TT is looking at the possibility of people deciding for themselves if they wish to be gay or not, going further and away from the article he posted himself.

Now do you think parents should 'play God' (for lack of a better term at the moment) and design their babies as they see fit or to fit into some fashionable ideal? Because that is what TT is proposing. A master race. Now the issues of homosexuality and the supposed need to cure it appears to have been lost by the wayside. But from what he writes, people should one day have a choice. Fair enough.. But going just by the article, do you think homosexuality should be cured as though it were a disease, when it is not a disease? Should society or parents have a say in whether homosexuals exist? That's what it comes down to from the standpoint of the article. It's about society deciding whether homosexuals should exist or not and this so called "cure" would ensure that parents give birth to straight children. Homosexuals, by what the article states, do not have a say in the matter. TT's proposal are based on his own utopia.

23. imaplanck. Banned Banned

OK I see what you mean, but I would bet that most gays would have thanked their parents for preventing them growing up so confused and different. Yes being a homosexual is part of who they are, but thats only because they have gone through so much because of it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007