Holocaust Memorial

Discussion in 'History' started by otheadp, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

In case you are, incidentally, referring to me, please recall that I presented no "argument," circular or otherwise.

From the very beginning, all I've put forth is mockery.

Old reflexes...
    To hold a pen is to be at war, after all.

EDIT:

Why does it not? Do you think it matters to the dead Jews how much and how stridently we commemorate them?

Am I believe that you used the word "perps," as in "perpetrators" to describe the Nazis?
    Yikes... not to say that it's unacceptable, but that word choice, I think, epitomizes your mentality (with regard to the topic, of course).

Have there not been comparable instances in human history?

Specifically, the numbers which the Soviet government killed systematically over the early 20th century are astonishing, even, monstrous.

Supposedly?

Even if they made an attempt to 'cover up' and whatnot, I'd say we have evidence enough.

"Perhaps 75,000 Armenians endure in Turkey today, most of them in Istanbul."
    ~Here~

It wasn't always like that, no?

Meaning?

After reading three paragraphs of your writing on the topic, I don't believe I'm being awfully presumptuous, as you termed it, when I state you do.

There we go again.

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

15of19:
    I never once intimated you found the Holocaust alpha and omega of anything- spray your vendettas elsewhere.

15 says: Perhaps it was the discipline involved in this carnage that makes it memorable. And perhaps its in it being dealt by Teutonic blood that makes it most frightening in comparison to others.

Gendanken then provides you with some reasons why you may be mistaken.
    Your rebuttal: nothing. Only a statement of your platform being a straw man.

Down to every last photograph of the prisoners, peasants, women, children and elderly that were killed during the Khmer Rouge. The whole campaign reflected the background of a strict schoolteacher, of which Pol Pot undeniably was before going insane.

The Turkish as well - both fall under the same rubric of Teuctonic discipline- and theirein lies your flaw. See or no see?

But funny how I don't find you adressing any of my points until after these supposed 'children' show up, child.

Stop with the name calling.
    Strike one.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Now wait a second, Xev.
    I should say that he is posturing to some degree or other, as you suggested, but... he has made several "valid" observations.

His leaning toward conversational and unchallengeable points is noticeable, but so is his accuracy in the description of that Nazi Germany of so many decades past.

Always... but he seems to have fled the scene.

EDIT:

You mean this one?

Couldn't resist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Rap:
    Then how are they valid if he keeps vascillating?
    Rather futile to be speaking with someone who's clearly admitted he's only throwing out straw men.

(All hail Mortiis)

No shit.

And I was so looking forward to spicing this bitch up. Double, bubble, toil and trouble....

8. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

I guess this is where I don't know whether to be a little confused or just dismiss this whole thread as being nothing a place to bash Jews. Maybe you can't see this because your in the middle of the thread, but this thread is basically asking a question: What's so damn special about the Holocaust?

I threw out some possibilities, that is all. Gendy, there was no direct rebuttal on your part. You explained that Pol Pot was also methodical and detailed. Fine, I'll take your word for it. How is that a rebuttal of a possibility? In what universe does giving paralells to a situation constitute a rebuttal?

So are any of you actually arguing that there shouldn't be a Holocaust Memorial?

Just exactly what is the question being asked in this thread anyway? Time to step up Xev. What are you asking? What are you saying?

Rap, what about you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

They're valid in that they are either wholely true or forthrightly logical.

I wouldn't call them "fair game" or "significant," but neither of those is necessarily a criterion for the word valid.

It is permissible, though, that the word be construed in such a way as to determine his statements invalid to productive discussion.
    However, I did not PERCIEVE the definition, within the context of this thread and Xev's protests, as being so specialized.

Perhaps I did not read far enough into her or your posts, or perhaps it is best to leave this at that.

Oh, I'm just being a jack ass. It's my calling, don't you know?

10. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

15:
    Gendanken is bashing Jews.

Uhm, no.
    If you flip back and look on the first post you will find otheadap with his candles up like all hypersocial twerps that simply *insist* on necrophilia.

This thread asks no questions, I made it one. Like, sorta.

Correct me if wrong- but if your statement concerns a mark you feel is distinguishing in one species, and I retort with the same mark found in another one would that not be a rebuttal?

Honestly- I'm being real here. At least you're not callling me a fucking fluff bucket.

Rap:
    No, I get you now.

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

No argument from this party.

"Hypersocial" is definitely the right way to describe someone that uses the word non-victim.

12. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Or by chance found describing the living as uncorpses.

13. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

I vaguely remember something along those lines.

Is that what goofyfish edited out of otheadp's last post?

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Rappaccini:
    Well enough. He's able to regurgitate what he's read about the Nazis, make a few pertinent observations, and then hop around socializing. He reeks of need.
    It's...embarassing.

Back to Mortiis I see. I thought you thought that I was that monster?

15:
    Nope, and not "bashing" the Jews either.
    Holocaust guilt has become a cottage industry. If it wasn't the first Speilburg movie that brought you in, it was the second or third one, or perhaps the bonus dvd with interviews from concentration camp survivors explaining how we must always remember and never forget.

Of course we have other victims crawling out of the woodwork, such as the negroes and the Native Americans, but it's the Holocaust that produces tear-jerkers.

When's the last time you saw a movie, aimed towards whites, about slavery? I can think of only Amistad, which didn't do particularly well. Off the top of my head, I can name five about the Holocaust.

Gendanken commented on the phenomena. 'Tis all.

gendanken:
    I'm quite fond of Orwell's prescription for ridding oneself of that habit:

"A not-unwhite rabbit raced across a not-ungreen field under a not-uncloudless sky on a not-unwarm day"

Or something to that effect.

15. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

If my memory tells rightly, which I'm happy to say it does routinely, your title was once Parasite God.

Maybe the better question is did you think yourself that monster?

16. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

My interests in the Nazis are not really centered around the Final Solution, but you can't study them as much as I have without picking up some things about the way they implemented the plan. Some of it is from reading, some of it is from conversations I've had with Germans. What's the difference Xev?

You shouldn't be embarassed for me Xev. I'm quite happy.

Now you on the other hand....8000+ and counting. What does that say about you?

17. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Xev:
    Mingled with a tinge of Jew bashing, surely.

(He used Blake as an example. But..)

The task now being to teach a seemingly unschooled unblack how to cleanse his dysEnglish from his not unlikely proletarian proclivities.

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Now you on the other hand....8000+ and counting. What does that say about you? "

It means I don't own a t.v and have spent several years mocking you 'tards in lieu of its warm glow.

The Germans are always happy to have idiot Americans quiz them on that facet of their history. You could query them about the music of Kraftwerk, the poetry of Heine or the novels of Goethe, but I daresay that'd be over your head.
    No, of course you ask them about the Nazis.

gendanken:
    I believe he gave that exercize as well.

I believe the term is "wigger"

19. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Actually, the term is "Big fan of Chappelle's Show", and it is the funniest show on television right now, and you not having a tv explains a lot. Not that I'm picking on you for it, but it definitely explains a lot Xev, and others. Trust me, you're missing out.

How many times do you see a Frontline segment about a blind black white supremacist? Now that's genius, my bizzle's. You guys would do well to pick up a magazine every now and then. Fuh shizzle?

20. Xev Registered Senior Member

I prefer to actually participate in my entertainment. Passivity irks the fuck out of me.

Oddly enough, I associate the sound of "shnizzle" with the sound of hollowpoints smashing their way through an empty skull. Wonder why.

21. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

15:
    And you having one only proves the theory of opposites, my liege.

::cringe::

Stop it, will you?

Xev:
    Sounds more like the buzz of a firehose blasting up a man's colon.

SHHiiizzzZZZZZZzzZZzzzzzle. SShiiiIIIIIIzzzzzzzzzz-ZZZlllee....

Or him freezing his nuts off outside in the cold.

22. bigears Registered Member

What matters is that Germany of 1938 was a place of culture and learning, the beneficiary of a history and culture that predicates most similarly our own. For this reason what happened there teaches us better what can again happen. It was unique in the modern era for it's size, brutality and form: state sanctioned, targeting civilians, organised and heartless (victims often made to suffer before death).

We can learn from this. We must mourn them, and we must mourn too all the other's who died - in other countries and at other times. But the Holocaust is our unique lesson on the evil man can perpetrate upon man.

23. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Bigears:
    Nice..point. But I'd buy it if Nanking did not happen exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

Easy with the musts. Humanity is not obligated to do anything for humanity in the same sense one is not in bondage to care for his neighbor or his business.

The Holocaust is not a "unique lesson" in anything other than the prowess of art.