History Channel's "The Bible"

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by jayleew, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Nice clip. Is the rest of the movie as engrossing? They still believe in God, but recognize its cruelty. I agree, if God exists it needs to answer for the crimes in the Bible...or perhaps the Bible is not literal as some would suggest. The Bible is full of cruel intentions of God, as the clip points out the scriptures. There are more. One I found quite interesting is when while Moses is bringing the Israelites to the promised land they sinned enough where God told Moses that he would wipe them out and start anew with Moses. Moses pleaded for their lives and stayed God's wrath by saying if you kill them, you might as well kill me too. This Moses feller was a hero to put himself in between God and the Isrealites. Exodus 32: 31-32

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

The notion of literal reading is a fairly recent phenomenon and a real killer in terms of seeking God. They end with a their own scriptures and have turned to idol worship of what is in that book.

Literalists have to believe in fantasy, miracles and magic and those have no place in a workable theology.

It is an interesting movie and ends with them still praying but I see that ending as them just telling us that what they are praying for is an idea or ideal that they still seek. I have no problem with the search. I do with the finding and retaining as an idol.

This guy speaks to this and makes a lot of sense but then he ends up being an idol worshiper of the same book.

[video=youtube;SkZg1ZflpJs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SkZg1ZflpJs[/video]

As to me if you are interested.

The Godhead I know in a nutshell.
    I was a skeptic till the age of 39.
    I then had an apotheosis and later branded myself an esoteric ecumenist and Gnostic Christian. Gnostic Christian because I exemplify this quote from William Blake.

“Both read the Bible day and night, But thou read'st black where I read white.”

This refers to how Gnostics tend to reverse, for moral reasons, what Christians see in the Bible. We tend to recognize the evil ways of O T God where literal Christians will see God’s killing as good. Christians are sheep where Gnostic Christians are goats.
    This is perhaps why we see the use of a Jesus scapegoat as immoral, while theists like to make Jesus their beast of burden. An immoral position.

During my apotheosis, something that only lasted 5 or 6 seconds, the only things of note to happen was that my paradigm of reality was confirmed and I was chastised to think more demographically. What I found was what I call a cosmic consciousness. Not a new term but one that is a close but not exact fit.

I recognize that I have no proof. That is always the way with apotheosis.
    This is also why I prefer to stick to issues of morality because no one has yet been able to prove that God is real and I have no more proof than they for the cosmic consciousness.

The cosmic consciousness is not a miracle working God. He does not interfere with us save when one of us finds it. Not a common thing from what I can see. It is a part of nature and our next evolutionary step.

I tend to have more in common with atheists who ignore what they see as my delusion because our morals are basically identical. Theist tend not to like me much as I have no respect for literalists and fundamentals and think that most Christians have tribal mentalities and poor morals.

I am rather between a rock and a hard place but this I cannot help.

I am happy to be questioned on what I believe but whether or not God exists is basically irrelevant to this world for all that he does not do, and I prefer to thrash out moral issues that can actually find an end point. The search for God is never ending when you are of the Gnostic persuasion. My apotheosis basically says that I am to discard whatever God I found, God as a set of rules that is, not idol worship it but instead, raise my bar and seek further.

My apotheosis also showed me that God has no need for love, adoration or obedience. He has no needs. Man has dominion here on earth and is to be and is the supreme being.

Regards
    DL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

As I type this I am watching the show. I can't bear to watch much longer. The show is presented in a very biased manner, completely omitting the majority of negative verses and events written in the Bible. They are trying, very clearly, to make it all rainbows and butterflies. No mention of sexism, racism, slavery, genocide, infanticide, or murder for not believing. This show is, for being in the History Channel, very particular and in what events and verses are represented. I believe this to be yet another reason why so many people are still Christian. They rely on biased, edited teachings and representations such as this for their understanding of the Bible, instead of reading it for themselves.

In short, this show makes me sick.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I only caught a few seconds of the movie in which the narrator appeared to be proposing that Jews had been seeking the Promised land since the era of Abraham. I was surprised the History Channel was playing pseudo-historical propaganda. There was no sense of any caveat in the narration, to alert viewers that little or none of this story is credible -- that authorship, age and content of the story are insufficient to assume that it's correct. It struck me that this is more fodder for the Fundamentalists who no doubt swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

If I were king for a day, I would require a "LP" movie rating - for "lying propaganda" - with a warning to parents that portrayals of legend as historical fact is not suitable for children.

8. Balerion Banned Banned

I agree completely. I've noticed a lot of your "regular" Christians (as opposed to apologists or die-hards) have this same whitewashed picture of biblical history.

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Dude, turn on History Channel at...well, right now. There's a 50/50 chance "Ancient Aliens" is on. Whatever the network used to be, it's now plays like a conspiracy theorist wet dream.

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I agree. It is pure right wing B S.

I have to wonder who funded it but have no way of knowing.

If you want to see something worth watching and have yet to see it, I recommend this Agora film.

Unfortunately I do not have a full one piece version and this one is in 9 **&^x**(* ---parts.

I see it as fairly realistic while knowing that it is fiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2U0dL0k9s8

Regards
    DL

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

+ 1

That would need legislation for truth in advertising and that will not happen as governments have to maintain the Noble Lie.

I do not see a repeal of that law any time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14SllPPLxY

Regards
    DL