High Protein diets and Kidneys

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Rick, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

sorry still stuck on phone. stupid computer

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Please give me a break down. Your average Frozen Chicken Breast has 32 grams of protein. So you accidentally ate 5 + chicken breasts, or 4 10 oz steaks? You can't accidentally eat that much protein, unless you're consciously trying.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yea, that's basically it. When you cut out carbs, all eat a lot less roughage and it becomes much easier to get too much protein.

I don't remember what I ate that day, but it was about a dozen eggs, some steak, some hamburgers, nuts, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Most doctors agree that high protein diets are fine for people with healthy kidneys. If you have kidney problems, obviously your mileage may vary.

Asguard, your body can and will get all the glucose it needs from either protein or fat, no carbs required.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

nasor, really. Then why did type 1 diabetics stave to death before insulin was avaliable?

After all, they still break down the bodies fat and protine and then they die

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Because without insulin your muscles and various other tissues won't extract glucose from the blood, even though there is plenty of glucose present. Aren't you supposed to be in healthcare or something?

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

partually correct, YES glucose is converted to ATP but that is only part of the story. Protine is NEVER converted to glucose and insulin ONLY works on glucose (ok it also helps with excess K+ but thats irrelivent to this debate)

Our lecturer was discussing type 1 diabetics and a trend amongst young women especially when she was younger (its probably still happerning). That is that they stop taking there insulin for a couple of days before they go out so they can drop a couple of dress sizes. Why would they lose weight rather than causing brain and myocardial death with-in 3 min (the brain cant store ATP and the heart has a HUGE demand on it and thats why these 2 organs fail very rapidly in hypoxia)? The answer is that the body switches to burning fat and protine (hense the acitone smell which comes from burning potine as a fuel sorce) insted of glucose. However this is not sustainable, they WILL die and all of them did before we learnt to sythasise insulin in pigs.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I tried Atkins a while back myself, and I know what you are talking about the bad taste in your mouth.

I have tried going back to it a few times since then, but find the first couple days I get a MASSIVE headache and then break down and eat carbs.

Have you experienced that at all?

I would loose weight, but had an issue with going to the bathroom. It would be DAYS and DAYS before I would go. I couldn't understand
    how I was loosing weight.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

shorty, very smart. Try the diet i posted earlier, IT at least has some bases in science rather than a basis in wanting to eat McDonalds dripping in fat

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

http://www.badfatsbrothers.com/BFB.html

and does anyone know how i can get a slide show PDF linked here? i cant directly link it because its on a ristricted site so i need to post it to somewhere else. Absane if you give me an email adress i will send it to you

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh rly?! I beg to differ.

I have little craving for carbs and I never got a headache.

But I am not doing the Atkins diet.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Who's eating McDonalds?

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

What are you talking about McDonalds? :bugeye: I very very rarely ever eat there, unless we are out and about and starving.

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I guess you've never heard of the gluconeogenic pathway? Glucogenic proteins? Any of this ring a bell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucogenic_amino_acid

Asguard, you seem to have a habit of posting really screwy stuff about health and medicine. This isn't the first time I've noticed you confidently posting stuff that's completely wrong. If your lecturer really told you that proteins are never converted to glucose, I think it's time to switch to a better university.

18. Pinwheel Banned Banned

It seems our modern diet contains a heck of a lot more carbohydrates compared to when we hunted and collected food rather than grew it ourselves.

19. greenboy Registered Senior Member

Well

I agreed but in they were not only gathers they were scavengers and they ate a lot of meat, but whats going on in our days is we are eating a lot of altered food and this is new for u. The obesity factor is really getting out of control we have corn syrop in everything, Yesterday I was at the grocery store and practically every thing I got in my hand had corn Syrup, I have 4 close friends and two of them are diabetic, I blame it to the corn syrups.