Heroes

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by lixluke, Sep 27, 2006.

1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Hiro could run down to the flower shop and BUY the flowers before the time that he shows them to the girl. He could have the food already cooked and put the slips up in their holders while time was frozen, then pick up the bouquet. Obviously he has to be able to cross his own timeline as they showed when he accidentally called himself on the telephone. No causality had to be violated. He could do the flowers first or do the food first and it comes out the same. Remember, at the time that he would have been cooking the food, he was busing the tables.

As you know, Hiro doesn't just stop time, he can move back and forth between future and past. When he rescued the girl from the bus, he also saw her being hit and reversed that, so he doesn't have to preserve events that actually happened. Just because he can't go back in time right now to save his lady doesn't mean that he can't do it later after he finds a way to treat her brain aneurysm, which incidentally doesn't burst by the time he meets her in real time. The thing that may be blocking him from going back right now is a successful rescue attempt by a future self who is better equipped.

Hiro did not see the waitress being killed before he went back to try to save her. This may be important. Word of her being killed is not the same thing as the actual fact. The timeline is already altered because she should have already known Hiro by the first time she meets him from our point of view, and not only did she not appear to, she hadn't yet learned any Japanese. In the altered timeline she met Hiro six months ago, actually worked with him, and learned Japanese six months earlier.

We're not going to know until the series concludes whether there are things that Hiro can't do or whether these things are what he can't do yet. It's obviously much later that he returns to tell Peter that he needs to save the cheerleader to save the world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

1. Yes there is a more practical way to show you can tp and stop time than folding 1000 cranes.

2. Hiro never saw the girl getting hit by the bus.

3. The timeline was never altered. The first time she met Hiro was 6 months ago when he gave her the japanese language book. Hiro hung out with her, taught her lots of japanese, showed her his powers, told her about her death, became her bf, was ready to run away with her, and then he disappeared for 6 months.

She saw him again when he came into the diner with Ando, and knew who he was. That is how she was able to speak japanese words that were not in the book. She never told him that she already knew him.

The timeline never really got altered.
    But we want to make sure the future timeline gets altered so he can save Isaac and New York.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Yes, Hiro saw the girl being hit by the bus.

The folding of 1000 cranes was part of a Japanese marriage ritual. It wasn't supposed to be "practical."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. candy Valued Senior Member

How does saving the cheerleader save the world?

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm.
    An idea that just occurred to me as I read your question:

If Sylar steals Claire's powers of regenerations, then perhaps he could survive the nuclear detonation he sets off in New York after he steals Nuclear Guy's powers.

Without that regeneration, he might not be so willing to use his stolen powers in such a manner.

This, of course, brings us back to Claire's father as Sylar was captured by him and now we can assume that he is going to be manipulated. No longer a free agent.

There is always the chance of breaking free from control though. Such a powerful creature would be extremely difficult to control.

I'm sure he'd love to eat the Haitian's brain. (How has it been established that he is Haitian?)

Before this occurred to me, I just assumed that Claire's life/death was one of those moments on which a large number of subsequent events turn. This is how history seems to flow. Crisis points where relatively few individuals and even inconsequential-seeming events decide the path of world events.

Knots and tangles in the skein of the pattern, don't you know.

I doubt if he went back in time in order to purchase the flowers legally. I had the same thought but discarded it as highly unlikely.
    Why?
    Because he has little control over his powers of moving back and forth in time as of yet. He's still struggling to control the time freeze. When he tried to jump back a single day, he instead jumped six months. He wouldn't risk his attempt to save her life by doing that again.

As to the food, it was already cooked. By the cook. Just before he froze time, the cook put the order in the window and said that it was ready to serve. The only issue is that the people at the table didn't react to the food mysteriously appearing at their table.
    Again, he could have used a minor jump backwards in time (of a few minutes) in order to slyly deliver the food to the table and hope that nobody in the restaurant noticed the two Hiros.
    However, if he did this... wouldn't a good method of convincing her been to tap her on the shoulder while delivering the food?
    By using his talent in this way, Hiro could easily duplicate himself any number of times at any given instant of time. Of course, if he were hurt or killed in one of the earlier manifestations of himself, this would have an effect on all the later manifestations in a ripple effect.

I once read a book called The Green Futures of Tycho where a boy finds an alien artifact which allows him to travel through time. The device ends up changing his future self into this evil monstrosity with plan of world domination, but I won't go into the details (really an interesting children's book though. I still have it.)
    In one section of the book, he uses the device to duplicate itself. He goes back in time and leaves the device on a table for an hour, say 6:00 to 7:00. He then travels back to 7:00 and takes the device. Then he travels back to 6:59 and takes the device. Then he travels back to 6:58 and takes the device.
    Of course, this is slightly different than a mere time travel device, it must be more of way of reaching into nearby possible realities. For the subsequent taking of the earlier device had no effect on the earlier taking of the later device. At the end of the hour, there were 60 more devices.
    The plot was that the device evolved after each use. Tycho had the master device and all these other devices were slaves. I never quite understood his master plan, but use of the device had a corrupting power to it. And by sewing the world with slave devices, he would corrupt others or some such. Eventually he and his minions would change the world into an environment which the aliens thought benevolent to their existence and they'd move in. (Hence the 'green futures' part of the title. The aliens liked green.)

However, it would seem that Hiro's powers don't work like that. His failure to save the girl would seem to indicate that the past is set and unchangeable. However, there is far too little experience in this matter to make a valid inductional judgment. His failure might well be just a facet of his inexperience. It's possible that as his talent matures, he will be able to reach into the weave of possible timelines. If so, he has the potential to become quite powerful. If his talent is limited to one past timeline, then his powers are limited although still impressive.

I wonder if his sword is just a sword or if he uses it with his talent in some fashion?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wrong.
    2. Hiro never saw the girl getting hit by the bus.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I don't think this is the case either. If so, it would spell doom for Isaac and New York.

Also, as I have explained there were no paradoxes in his time jump to save the girl. No inconsistencies. That is how the girl was able to recognize him when he came into the diner with Ando for the first time. To Hiro, it was his first time seeing her. To her, she already met him months ago.

Other than him looking like a Haitian from his first appearance.
    In the previous episode when they are interrogating Nuclear Man, he and Doughnut Man mention noticing a Haitian when they were drugged and kidnapped for a few days.

I don't think Sylar detects mutants per say. He finds them because of his access to Chandra's information. Sylar's original power is a 6th sense about the how things function. He can notice any anomolies in the functioning of a machine. Or a person perhaps. It still doesn't explain why he takes brains, how he developed tk, and if he managed to develop the powers of the other mutants he killed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  11. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

why didint he kill them and study their brains then?

or did he do you think?

12. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Okay. If what I'm saying makes no sense then how is it that I'm explaining something that you 'already know'. Clearly you don't understand what I'm trying to express. But this was orignally all off of an idea that I earlier proposed, based on ONE form of time travel from another book that I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not claiming that I know the script. We don't know the details of Hiro's powers yet, and this whole conversation centered around practicality is asanine. How practical does -any- of us act when we're trying to impress or dazzle a girl for whatever reason?

As far as these issues you're claiming exist, they simply don't. You're right about the fact he probably didn't purchase any flowers from a shop. If you stop all time, then interacting with people is probably a little difficult. So he went to the shop and stole flowers, OR hey who knows, maybe he can create stasis fields around particular objects in time, like towns, continents, or people. If that's so, maybe he froze time at the diner and then went to the flower shop, who knows.

I agree with you about the people's reaction to their food just appearing out of nowhere. I imagine if that happened to me, my first response is "wtf". But again, who knows. What if he stops time, gets the flowers, takes the food, starts time, gives the food to the people, stops time, and comes back to her right after.

Maybe the errors you're finding are in the shows writers and not the idea of Hiro's abilities. I could see that, definitely. If he's showing off to a chick to get her attention to prove his worth and abilities, I think we'd best let them slide on a few mistakes. Because those parts of the show aren't geared to impress us with his abilities, but his emotional intent. Because this fiction, I'm positive there's going to be certain things that don't make complete sense, but we can't over analyze. Its called science fiction for a reason.

I'm up for a good debate sure, I'm pretty open minded. But here I'm simply throwing out ideas, because I like show, and I'm somewhat of a nerd. ^_~

13. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

if they both blacked out, does syler have their abilites? nucklear man and mind reader man i mean, does he already have nucklear mans powers, and if he does, all he needs is claires?

14. fLuX Registered Senior Member

I think that maybe Sylar's ability goes beyond that of just machines. We saw a flash of some visually pleasing special effect that implied he can see it in human's as well. He called that Brian person "broken" before he knocked him out. Brian was the one with TK. I'm thinking that if he's taking the brains, its probably so he can dissect them to see how they work. Since his original ability involved knowing how things worked after tinkering with them(or just looking, maybe depending on how complicated its structure is), this to me makes the most sense. But, I could be wrong.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The most plausible way for Hiro to have done the thousand cranes is to have them prepared beforehand, which leaves him with quite a bit of work just hanging them. The same with the bouquet, already have it purchased and tucked away.

Sylar is a damn shame, but that's the way with perfectionists. Micah, the boy, has a much more rounded character, great social skills, and he appears to both have talent and real intelligence.

I think we still need the waitress. Is Charlie her name? She's the one who has the biggest heart and Hiro should be ready to try anything to save her, even after having failed. I think he can't go back again until he is actually able to save her, maybe with a super healing power, maybe with knowledge. The limits of the superpowers are pretty broad, considering that Claire literally came back from the dead after the stick was pulled out of her brain and one of the others apparently can explode like an atomic bomb. We don't actually know if Sylar got her brain away from her, either. All we saw was her bleeding.

Maybe he can't save everyone but maybe he can save her. To me the jury is still out. Maybe she can be retrieved from the morgue. It's not like we haven't seen that one before.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It doesn't make any sense. You have not explained anything. Get over it.

I agree that we have to suspend disbeleif with certaion aspects of this movie. Such as the fact that when they showed Claire naked, she had no boobs.

There was this movie butterfly effect when he kept trying to change things, and it kept screwing up no matter what he did. It was weird though.

17. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Your original post

It turns out that he worked at the restaurant for awhile, using his powers in ways that make absolutely no sense.
    1.How did he get the food for those people at the table?
    2.Where did all the bloody origami cranes come from?
    3.And how did he know that tomorrow tha swarrow will sray the dragon?

My reply.

1. He paused time, walked to the food, and placed it on the table, yes the people didn't react to it, but that's the great thing about tv, it doesn't make sense all the time.
    2. He paused time, sat and made them, or made them before hand and moved them in the room.
    3. He knew that because he was from six months in the future and probably saw or heard about the game.
    4. As for the flowers? He paused time, went to a store, and stole them. And then he came back.(You can't purchase flowers from someone who is frozen in time, true.)

Are there more practical ways of doing it? Maybe. Perhaps MetaKron is right and he prepared for all of it in advance,although then the question changes from "how did he do it" to "why didn't he do it another way". But Kron and Nexus seem to be on the same page as I am, so if it doesn't make sense to you then what do you suggest? How is it that you think he accomplished all of that?

18. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Yeah the butterfly effect was entertaining. My only question on it was this. If a guy can send his mind back in time and changes things, why is it that the future only changes for four or five people?

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Don't worry about it fLux, Lixluke is an obstinate bastard. He's always pulling shit like this. If you feel like getting irate, then he makes a good target, otherwise just ignore him when he starts getting really stupid like this.

20. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Understood, thanks Nexus.

Well then, moving on.

Tonight's episode should be interesting. You know, at the end of last episode, I was certain Hiro might have been robbed of his abilities. I thought that maybe whatever "higher power" that he mentioned he felt, perhaps didn't like the idea of him changing the past. So I was thinking maybe his powers were taken away temporarily as punishment. I suppose he couldn't lose them for good since he comes back to warn Peter and seems to appear much older and jaded from his experiences. But it would make for an interesting plot twist. It always makes good for the story if the hero loses his power, the climb back to the top, so to speak, makes the victory in the end all the sweeter.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I find it strange that everyone's talents began to manifest at approximately the same time.

Apparently, there there's something that Claire's father does when he interrogates them that enhances their talents, but this synchronicity of talents seems to be something else entirely.

By the way, what's his name's brother's accident was pretty crazy. Flying out of the car like that. No wonder he doesn't like to think about using his talent.

I wonder about him sometimes. If he will turn out to wear a white hat or a black hat.

And eventually the details of his father's work and more details on Linderman need to come out.
    That's all mysterious, right now.
    Linderman definitely seems to tie everyone together though.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm.
    Interesting twist.
    Should have seen it coming, in retrospect.

By the way, about the Haitian. I know he was referred to as "The Haitian" but my question was how was it known that he was Haitian? He looked like just some dude to me. I don't see anything about him that is undeniably Haitian.

I find it strange that everyone just sees him as a Haitian.

January 22nd, eh?
    Well, shit.
    Nothing on tv for two months then.
    Battlestar Galactica I guess. That's the only show that I'm watching. And it's probably coming to an end pretty soon too.

Tv sucks ass.

23. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

"Daybreak" is pretty good and I think other TV shows will be on whilst Heroes, Jericho, Lost, and various other shows go off for a few months.