Heroes Season III

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Sep 23, 2008.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

1. You do not need to define anti-hero. I know the claims and philosophies behind it. I don't buy into any of that crap. Noah is evil. Wow so he wants to protect Claire, and therefore he is not evil. His motives are to protect his daughter with good intentions towards earth and humanity. Deez nuts! The dude is a blithering evil psychopath, and you know as well as I do that his choices and decisions, his actions, all exemplify is evil methods. Towards what end? His own views of what HE feels he wants to impose on others. Kidnapping mutants, coersion, murder, etc. the list goes on.

2. You are correct in the sense that Sylar's murderous inclination was always a mixture of his hunger and his own personality. Your psychoanalysis is actually true in terms of the show's original direction. However, in season 3, the show changed its direction with this.

While I don't like the new direction in this case, the show is now saying that it was never Sylar that was actually the murderous type. It was his power that made him that way. While I do not like this direction, that is the direction the show has taken.

Absolutely in the previous seasons, your description is very valid. However after they unfortunately changed the shows direction, that is no longer the case.

3. I agree 100% fully with your observation that Father Petrelli has the skill to eliminate that hunger in himself. Also, I was talking with a friend about how Father Petrelli actually let Mya go despite him being an evil bastard. After stealing her powers, he could have just left her dead in the ditch. My friend claims that his act was to win over Mohinder. But it seems to me that they are imposing more dimensions to that character.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Well, to each his own, however the anti-hero is an accepted and established literary tool. I'm saying that the Heroes writers have used the anti-hero characterization in this case.

Plausible

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't really mind that much, since they've replaced him with Daddy Petrelli.

Probably, but also he appears to consider regular humans useless and non-threatening. Why bother to kill Maya when she's just a whip of a girl with no power now?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes. Why bother kill her? Why bother let her live? Who knows. Another thing that doesn't make sense is why he hasn't manifested Mohinder's power and the physical side-effects. As far as I remember, Mohinder was the first in the series to manifest some form of physical deformation as a result of his powers. Has father Petrelli absorbed Mohinder's powers as well with out the deformation effect?

What exactly is his intention Father Petrelli's intention? Does he want to give the population super powers? Is this show really serious with that plotline? He wants to inject everybody so they can have powers so that he can absorb their powers with Peter's sponge ability? Because he already has Dat-Hatian's canceling ability which Peter absorbed in season 2, does that mean even Dat-Hatian cannot even stop him? I doubt it. If Dat-Hatian can get close enough, somebody else can come in, and feed Father Peterelli some led.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Did anyone else notice that when Skylar was talking to Claire he mentioned he felt sorry for her because she was in so much pain? I think Skylar used his ability to "fix" things to cure Claire of her pain and he is, therefore, the reason she can no longer feel pain. Since he caused it, he could probably fix it, if Claire would think to ask him.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think your right on that one. One thing I would like to know....since Peter absorbed Sylar's powers and with it got his craving for killing, and Arthur Patrelli absorbed Peter's powers, does that mean Daddy Patrelli has the craving now?

(is it just me or does the actor that plays Arthur Patrelli kinda resemble the dad from "The Waltons"?

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

We've discussed Father Patrelli's power over Sylar's cravings. Claire's inability to feel pain being a new thing is very strange. The show never specified it, but everybody pretty much concluded that she couldn't feel pain from the first episode. Now we are finding out that all this time, she was able to feel the pain of all those things that happened to her. Not very good acting or directing because nothing in any previous episode indicated Claire ever felt pain.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Interesting. So another artist dead. Whay do they hate the artists? So Father Petrelli can take powers from people, but what all powers has he taken? Why in the hell did Thompson let Meredith go? Wasn't he the one who ordered Claude and HRG to take the baby? Or did I forget something? Claire just seems to be popping up with new uncles left and right. First Sylar. Now Flint.

WTF was shooting man all about? My power is to shoot things with my finger. Wipitty woop. I thought Sylar had an ice power. Did they never explain where that came from?

11. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I actually thought that the goth dude would have been the guy Syler got his telekinesis from...a telekinetic would be able to cause objects to shatter not so? But alas I was wrong.

Lix: I think Thompson had the hots for Meredith lol.

12. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Sylar got his ice power as well as most of his other powers from the killing rampage he went on in the first season. So Claire can never die or age?

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

EDIT: Apparantly the shooting power is shattering. Sylar never used it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You must have missed the episode in the first season where Sylar kills the dude to get Telekenesis.

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I must have! Either that or I've seniled it out of my head...

16. superstring01 Moderator

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I think that website also claims that the web comics do not count as part of the storyline which is completely not the case. The online comics are all part of the Heroes storyline. Everything that happens im the show and in the comics are meant to coincide.

I don't know where in the actual storyline canon it depicts that Sylar actually lost all those powers. In fact, he had some of them in the future timeline that Peter visited, so I think it would be safe to assume, even if that timeline gets changed, Sylar still has all those powers dormant.

18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

They never mention a reason about why tk manifested as far as I know. It just seems to be his signature power even though it isn't his original one.

20. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

How else would he dramatically slice open a skull?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. superstring01 Moderator

Because when he gets his powers back, he's able to immediately move that can in the alley and says, "I'm back..." (last scene of the season). I tend to agree with the fact that he doesn't have all of his powers. His hearing certainly isn't that great (Claire snuck up on him and knocked him in the head, for example), I've yet to see him use his nuclear abilities when they certainly would have come in handy.

~String

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Was there a change in writers for this show? It seems as if the show is evolving alot differently than it seemed to be as originally written.

23. superstring01 Moderator

Tim Kring is still the executive producer and head writer. A series like this usually has writers come and go as if it were a turnstiles. It's up to the creator, executive producer and head writer (who all happen to be the same guy) to keep the show heading in a good direction. Usually a show like this runs out of steam pretty quickly because the novelty wears off. We get sick of "Parkman reading minds..." and "Sylar stealing powers..." after a while so he/they have to add a lot of plot twists to keep it interesting.

~Strig