Help

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by S. Dalal, Feb 13, 2003.

1. S. Dalal Mathamatics is my life Registered Senior Member

Can someone tell me how to satisfy this equation:

f(x) = 3,000 + 1529.4 x

Thanks

I would also appreciate if someone could leave an explination of how to simplify functions such as this.

S. Dalal

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

What does 'satisfy' mean? This equation does not present me with any particular task -- it's just an equation. I have no idea what you'd like me to do with it.
    You have a polynomial in x with non-vanishing zero and first order coefficients. There's really no clearer way to state the equation -- no matter what you do, you're going to have two numbers.

- Warren

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

bad, bad, chroot

f(x) = 3,000 + 1529.4 x

chroot is being snotty:

It is a linear function, nothing more. As the value of x increases, the function of x increases geometrically. You can find a single value for the function of x by making x equal antything you want. Let's say f(x) is the function of time in seconds, muliplied by 1529.4, where we add 3000 to the product.

Such a function might describe the dollars per ounce in the cost of platinum, (1529.4), where X is equal to the # ounces, and 3000 is the dollar per ounce margin added, and the product is a graph that clearly illustrates the linear increase in total revenue for the amount of platinum sold.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hlreed Registered Senior Member

To satisfy, let x have a value and calculate it out.

There is no simpler form.

To be more general let f(x) = a + b*x
    Now you have three things to worry about.

8. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

I think we have a semantic problem here: 'satisfy' isn't the right word. 'Satisfy' tends to mean that the function in equal to something. If Dalal could clarify...

Cheers,

Ron.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

f(x) = 3,000 + 1529.4 x

One common thing you'd want to do with an equation like this is to solve it for some value of f(x).

For example, you might be interested in the value of x which would make the function equal to zero. To find this, we just need to do some algebra:

0 = 3000 + 1529.4 x

Subtract 3000 from each side of the equation:

-3000 = 1529.4 x

Divide each side by 1529.4

-1.9616 = x

So, if we plug x = -1.9616 into the original function it will give zero.