Help with scientific career

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by qfrontier, Aug 17, 2002.

1. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

Hey guys. Im in grade 11 and am about to choose the math course Advanced Functions and Intro To Calculus. What I want to do in the future is research about rocket engines and crafting spacecrafts and such, also travelling at light speed and etc. I dont exactly know what the education requirements for a career that suits all those above, but can you guys give me some tips on what subjects I should choose?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Advanced math, all...
    Advanced Physics...
    and all the science you can get.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Makes sense

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

so discrete math? also, is calculus hard subject?

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

gfrontier:

On calc:

I found it difficult to integrate with algebra (I am self taught until calc, so this is partly why).

So for me, difficult but intensely rewarding.

One bit of advice, stay well rounded. I delved heavily into the science subjects as a wee lass and now find that my true talents are as a philosopher. Don't neglect your humanities courses.

Take all the math and all the physics you can get, neglect the bio type sciences in favor of humanities for now. Don't overload on the tough but rewarding subjects or you will burn out.

9. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

thanks great advices, im also taking on chemistry. My first sem subjects are Chem, BIo, Calculus and Computer Science. Looks like ill be really busy

10. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Drop intro to calculus, you're smarter than that!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I skipped Physics and Alg II, I went straight to the advanced courses.

I attend 3 different schools right now, because the school i am at isn't offering challenging enough courses...others seem to hate me for it also.

Just over-achieve despite what some idiots may diss on you about.

11. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

It doesn't matter what class you choose in high school. You learn nothing anyway. What you learn in high school is nothing compare to what you learn in college. There is a good chance you are taught with a lot of wrong stuff. My high school physics teacher has many teaching awards, but after I go to college, I realized he is total piece of shit. He didn't even teach free body diagram in accelerated physics, which is the most important concept in physics. You use it over and over in every physics class. If you plan on majoring in physics or math, you should retake all the intro level physics and calculus in college. If you plan on majoring in engineering, you can skip it.

This may surprise you, but you will find when you do research in those types of subjects, you don't need a lot of pure math and physics. Being good at math and physics can give you confidence, but totally not necessary. You need to know things like finite element analysis and matlab. You learn those in college.

The only classes I recommend at this point are economics and political science. Make sure you read all the books from all the right wing authors, like Pat Buchanan - "death of the west". Enjoy your life. Be a punk. Start drinking heavily to develop tolerance. You will need it for college. Start smoking weed. You need to perfect your technique. That is about it.

There is a 99% chance you won't be doing whatever you think you will do. Very few people end up doing what they said they will do when they were 11th grade. Almost none, zip. Don't think too much. Enjoy all the twists and turns you life will offer kiddo.

Edit to add: Make sure you watch plenty of fox news.

12. qfrontier Captain Of Starship Registered Senior Member

hehe, thanks for the advices again, but if i go straight into calculus, i dont think i can survive for long, i only got 64% in 11th grade math

13. Amphion Registered Member

I about right where you are. I started 11th this year. I am currently taking chemistry and Algebra II. I tried to get in Pre Cal, but the counselor we have is a dumbass. She screwed the hell out of my scheduel, and half my classess or stuff like choir and pe. Next year I am taking pre cal, and calculus. Along with physics and either ecology or anatomy. I go to a small school so they dont offer that much.

I would like to ask that if your going into some sort of scientific field, say you want to become a physicist, is it better to go ahead and get a Masters or PHD, or does it matter?