Help with English

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Saint, Aug 24, 2011.

1. geordief Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Hoik or Hoick.
    Not sure of etymology - probably from Hike, Hook or Hoist, or some combination thereof.
    Means roughly the same thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A petard is an explosive device used to knock down walls. To be "hoisted on your own petard" means that you're so incompetent that you can't count to five and be gone before the device explodes.
    I can't find anything like that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

in rem vs in personam ?

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's Latin. The literal translation is: "against the thing." This is a shortened version of saying, "This judicial act is directed at the object in question, not at the humans.
    Also Latin. Literal translation is: "against the person or persons." It means that in this case, the judicial act is directed at the people, not at the thing they're talking about.

10. geordief Valued Senior Member

I had a quick look .It seems legalese and I got the impression that "rem" might stand for "property" in practice.

But it seems very niche and I couldn't bother myself to research it properly (even though Latin phrases would normally interest me )

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Rem is the accusative case of the Latin word res, which means "thing."

12. geordief Valued Senior Member

true , but I was anticipating that it might be used in this legal context to differentiate between the persons's rights as person and his or her entitlement to property.

It is just a feeling ,but I have come across the term "property" more frequently in a legal context then "thing" -which seems too openly defined to be useful or clear.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Perhaps concepts of property have changed over the centuries too.

Some people (eg wives and of course slaves) actually were considered "property" in the past and maybe "rem" dates back to those usages .

I could not say when these "ad rem" and "ad personam"usages were actually coined but I doubt very much if they date from times when Latin was spoken at the time of the Roman empire.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

On the contrary, Wikipedia cites Cicero (106-43 BCE) as using the construction.

14. geordief Valued Senior Member

I meant that I didn't think those phrases would have been used in a legal way until later.

Did Cicero use them in that way?

I have forgotten most of my Latin but apparently ,for example "ad rem" meant "pertinent " or "to the point" and ,it seems to me that would have been a more common usage than "with respect to a thing or property".

But Cicero was a lawyer so perhaps he did draft laws that used these expressions.

Would you happen to have the link to that Wikipedia article as I can't seem to track it down?

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

sequester = to take (property) until a debt has been paid
    Does it mean confiscate too?

16. Saint Valued Senior Member

at each other’s throats = means what?

17. geordief Valued Senior Member

Have you ever seen dogs (or other animals (or humans) physically attacking one another and aiming for the throat?

It just means attacking one another in this kind of an undignified ,close and informal way -not necessarily or normally in a physical way.

If it does then you might say it "comes to blows ,fisticuffs etc)

Not sure about whether sequester can also mean "confiscate". I have never heard it used that way but perhaps it can depending on the context.

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

What is holdover?

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

A holdover is something that survives from an earlier time.
    So in this context it means that of the relay team on Sunday, only Held survives to the following race and the other members are replaced.

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

Embark on a project, "on" correct?

21. geordief Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. You know what "to embark" means in its literal, non figurative sense ,I presume?

22. geordief Valued Senior Member

"set out on" would also work ( for journeys or projects) .If you "set out on " a journey it might be any journey , whereas to "embark" might (in its non-figurative sense) imply a sea journey.

23. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Sea or plane journey.