Hello...I'm gerry nightingale.

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Gerry Nightingale, May 16, 2014.

1. Gerry Nightingale Banned Banned

I'm interested in theoretical physics...specifically, "causation" theories. I used to post and reply on physorg. but I have been suspended for 5yrs.! by rpenner. (I'm not certain

as to why...perhaps my replies got on his/her nerves. It took 4 months for me to figure out the moderator uses "sock-puppets" as control mechanisms by proxy) Hopefully, this

does not occur on this site.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Welcome.
    rpenner posts here, but isn't a moderator.
    He's highly respected.
    I doubt he would use sockpuppets, especially on a site where he was a moderator.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Welcome.

What possible reason would a moderator do that for? It makes no sense....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gerry Nightingale Banned Banned

In reply to Captain...please note that I used the word "proxy" in reference to rpenner and the "puppets"...he/she allows them to say anything they wish, and in

this manner "uses" them. It's clever, on the part of the moderator! If anyone responds against them, rpenner issues constant "warns" against the respondent, while

the "puppet" gets none!!! I call this a "stacked deck". What would you call it? He/she invites people to "Post", and then allows "trolls" to use any, and I mean any,

epithets they wish against the person who "posted".

8. brucep Valued Senior Member

Don't expect much. He posts on the forum rpenner moderates now.

9. Gerry Nightingale Banned Banned

So....brucep. You couldn't wait even 24hrs. without making a derisive comment! Thanks for "proving my point" with regard to physforum and rpenner.

No, I don't contribute anything at "phys" any longer, as you know..."account suspended" for 5yrs. because I wrote pmb something he didn't like, and the "moderator"

agrees with him.

Perhaps you can "troll" me off this site also.

10. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

That's usually the fate of people banned elsewhere who land here with a chip on their shoulder.

Otherwise I would say 'welcome' but I'm not through counting the baggage.

11. Gerry Nightingale Banned Banned

In reply to Aqueous Id...what "chip?" And what "baggage?"

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the Sciforums, pleased to meet you. :wave:

Other persons have joined here previously who started out with pretty much the same kind of story you have. Your second post - in response to Brucep - was defensive and antagonistic, that is the "baggage" that Aqueous mentioned. Your obvious anger towards rpenner is the "chip" on your shoulder.

"Trolls" are one of my special topics. I spent several years in a place none of you has ever even heard of that was often referred to as "troll central". There were some very interesting people there, some of them could do some very surprising and discomfiting things.

Another 'science' site I was once a member at had a moderator who had several socks. He would start a thread, then have a sock answer the first post, than another sock to answer the first, then jump back in as himself. There were whole threads with only that mod as a participant. :bugeye: I mentioned this on another site where a mod from the first site trolled for miscreants. While he never confronted me about the sockmaker mod, he 'ghosted' my account at the 'science' site where he is now an admin. I quit participating there, being unable, which I am sure was the plan.

Their loss, not mine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

As a moderator of this site, let me give you some tips:

Tip 1: This isn't physforums, this is sciforums. They are, to my knowledge, owned by different people, although there are a handfull of people that participate here that also participated there.

Tip 2: Some people will perceive this as trolling and as an attack. As I said, this isn't physforums, this is sciforums. Going to one science forum and opening your participation by complaining about the moderation of another science forum is bad form.

Tip 3: This post comes across, as Stoniphi pointed out, being defensive and antagonistic. There is simply no need for it and it only reinforces the perception that you have come to sciforums from physforums with a chip on your shoulder or a vendetta to prosecute. Doing so will almost certainly see you permanently banned in fairly short order.

Do us all a favour and tone it down.