"Healthcare isn't the only thing that's Communism"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ganymede, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Who were in general extremely conservative. We are talking about Southern democrats and specific times in history. Which party do you think they would join today?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I think there's a lot of merit to the claims that certain social policies have resulted in a lot of people becoming dependent on the government. As for the motives behind things like affirmative action, it seems to me that they're based more on the "white people are evil" worldview than beliefs that people of other races are inherently inferior.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I'll give you the same homework assignment that I gave to iceaura: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2361945&postcount=14

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

You do realize that all the civil rights initiatives Kennedy started it took both Johnson and Nixon to finish, Nixon was a huge supporter of civil rights, maybe not becuase of personal belief, but becuase it was what the people wanted and what was right.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Southern Democrats are now Republicans because they liked segregation.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So the recent economic downturn was caused by Reagan. Why not blame Clinton? Or Carter? Or even Bush? But no, blame Reagan for a recession that occured twenty years after he left office. Does he also get credit for the booms of the eighties and nineties? Or is he only resposible for things that occured after his death?

10. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

An interesting argument considering that demands for segregation declined at the same time as the Southern Democrats; since the two were directly related. White Southerners have tended to vote Republican for quite some time now...yet segregation and Jim Crow laws have yet to reappear. :shrug:

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

they don't like him do to his military adventurism

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

primarly the dixiecrats who jumped to the republican party

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Is all this what party did what even the point? It's fear mongering, regardless of what party you come from. Did America begon a communist nation after integration? No far from it. Just like health care reform won't turn this nation into communist Cuba either.

14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

And his pro-Israel policies, and because he supports amnesty for illegal aliens, because he supports affirmative action, because he had a hispanic Attorney General, a black Secretary Of State...

My point is that no rational person would consider the GOP as a whole to be "the white man's party" (much less a white supremacist party) unless your racial views are so skewed to the left that you consider anything that isn't completely anti-white to be "white supremacist" by default.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

And a few Christian Coalition-endorsed laws won't turn America into a full-blown theocracy, either, so what is everyone afraid of? Right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Right to say that is the exact same thing.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's a little late for regrets.
    Thanks to Reaganomics, there were no booms in the 80s and 90s - except for the rich. There were only bubbles and massive debt pileups, with only a hint of possible conservative sanity under Clinton for a couple of years until the fascists hamstrung him.

And the label "Reaganomics" is just a handy one, for the key event in the installation of those policies (Reagan's election) - you are quite correct in noting that much blame belongs with the Gingrichs and Gramms and Delays and Thurmonds and Greenspans and so forth, and note that several of those men switched from the Democratic to the Republican Party as the fundies and bigots shifted their national Party affiliation.
    Identifying the poliltical base of the current Republican Party is very much to the point - it's the media operations from that Party who are currently doing as much damage as they can to any attempt at changing the current heatlh care system in any way that would reduce insurance company profits.
    The GOP is the white man's Party - the only major demographic to vote solidly for McCain/Palin was older white men, for example. Subtract white men from the voting booth and the GOP is barely a national organization - certainly not an important political Party. Even more significantly, it's now the white fundie Christian man's Party - and that's why it's so completely lost it's grip on reality of late: those people live in a fantasy world, and the GOP has to pander to it to win elections.

Hence this town hall bs. Hence the heirs of the axe handle community crashing the gates of sane governance once again.
    So? Nobody is running around having hysterics about "theocracy". Having a good share of the Court, much of Congress, the entire executive branch and major parts of the military leadership in the hands of fundamentalist whackjobs has had its effects, though, and we hope that influence is dissipating.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You might just as well say "throw out the Hindu's, and X party is barely a national organization in India!

19. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Except that white males only comprise about 33% of the US population (compared to 80-something% of Indians being Hindus).

White males aren't even a plurality of the US population; that would be white females.

20. John T. Galt marxism is legalized hatred!! Registered Senior Member

Let me take a wild guess, you're not actually a lefty you're a moderate.

Because only righties institute the politics of fear in political debate. So!

-Galt

21. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Way to dodge the point. Like it or not, most white supremacists aren't beating the drums for the GOP.

My point was that the GOP is not "the white man's party" in terms of racial policy (which is what this thread was supposed to be about), unless you consider not being blatantly anti-white to be the same thing as being pro-white.

Aside from occasional opposition to affirmative action, the GOP doesn't do much to defend the interests of white people. Compare that to the Democrat Party of both yesteryear and today which was and is specifically working to advance the interests of certain racial groups.

It looks like at least one person is worried about theocracies: you. Let the government pass a few laws that Pat Robertson has lobbied for and you'll see the hysteria about the impending theocracy and the death of the 1st Amendment.

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Here is something I found, interesting;

Think about it

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You aren't counting the sales that came from buying a new car, which stimulated the economy. Saving a little gas was only a fringe benefit.