Hd Dvd --- R.i.p.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I try to keep up with new tech and this confuses me too. :shrug:

But if you want to impress the man next time around this 720p 1080p junk is explained nicely Here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I think that is a good choice, but you cheated!! You didn't chose one until the war was over...

I thought you already made a choice...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

ahhhh it makes sense, you are Canadian too lol

Thanks.

If I can't find a Wii, it will be on to PS3 they seem to be everywhere.
    I will not sit outside a store before it opens like some morons hoping to score one.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yup

But I'm in Germany for university, been here 3 months and I'd rather go back, I miss my Rocky Mountains and Tim Hortons coffee

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Wow!! all the way out there to go to school???

Yeah timbits too

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Alberta or BC?

10. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

500 EUR/semester vs $3000+/semester back in Canada, and rent free thanks to my relatives here. Couldn't argue with that. Still, Canada is much nicer

Calgary, AB. 45 minutes away from Banff National Park

11. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

did any of you watch that video?...

that's the freaking bomb...

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

???

13. kmguru Staff Member

I have a few DVD-ROM holders for the same purpose. Remember when NEC had those covers to keep CDs scratchless.

Sony's minidisc always stays inside a caddy. After 6 months, I will be surprised if they do not start selling caddy based systems.....

14. kmguru Staff Member

Not exactly. I have two JVC VCRs that have extended definition and high definition setting to increase the video bandwidth on standard and metal VHS tapes.....

15. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

That's exactly my point. The discs and players are not immediately useless, because HD DVDs look just as good as blu-ray does. They will not be picking up any new titles, so if I want to continue to grow my HD movie collection it will be blu-ray exclusive, but I am not immediately going to throw away all my current discs just because blu-ray won.

Shorty:

720 and 1080 refer to the number of "lines" the screen is divided into vertically. So, there are 720 horizontal lines and 1080 horizontal lines. Think of it in terms of computer monitor resolution -- most TVs are the equivalent of a monitor having 1368 x 768 resolution while others have 1920 x 1080. Obviously, the more you divide the screen, the better detail you can achieve which is why they are pushing 1080 as the standard.

Next we come to the letter designation. There are two you will commonly see, interlace (i) and progressive scan (p). Most TVs now will advertise 720p or 1080p, which means that each horizontal line is refreshed in one sweep. The screen all refreshes at once. Interlace TVs (CRT TVs and some rear projections) will actually refresh all the odd numbered lines in one go, and then refresh all the even numbered lines to fill out the picture (this is happening very fast, mind you -- 60 - 85 times per second so you don't really notice). Progressive scan TVs tend to look clearer, but don't handle fast moving camera pans or fast action sequences quite as well (depending on how they're shot -- sports programming comes to mind).

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

that movie was great i have seen another one like it where it is bitching about x-box live

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I didn't realize that HD DVD players weren't that expensive. They cost $150-300 and they still can play probably in better quality the normal DVDs. So there isn't much loss in having them, maybe a hundred bucks...

18. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

HD DVD = Blu Ray in quality. They are true HD. I have both, and can't tell a significant difference.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Significant? There should be NO difference. It is a digital file unlike the past analog tapes....

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

DVD's, HD-DVD and Blu-ray are actually a waste of resources, all require petroleum based products and are therefore fossil fuel related. All disc's just end up on shelves taking up storage space, collecting dust and ultimately becoming obsolete and no longer worth having.

The future was/is and has always been Hard-drive storage because it can be reformatted over and over again, It's storage space is cheaper by the Gb, admittedly it does entail the use of power and moving parts but it's less likely to suffer severe faults as with scratches on discs. What starts the Angst camp however is DRM - Digital Rights Management and how a person hires a self destructible copy downloaded from the net for a set duration of time.

21. kmguru Staff Member

The only problem with Hard drive is that after 10 to 14 years, they usually die. We need a permanent storage medium that could be eco-friendly. Like storing in crystals or other not yet invented gadget....until then....

22. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Yes, should be. But they use different tech to both carry and read the file that's on the disc, so there are some differences.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Waste of resources? That is one silly argument. We could say that books are waste of resources, because they will rot away... And reformatting? What if you want to keep a ovie for 20 years?
    5-10 years from now there willbe no harddrives anyway. Moving datastorages are obsolate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.