Hawkings Theory

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by thedemon13666, May 24, 2006.

1. Tontin Registered Member

Hello to all, my first post here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Very nice forum, and very interesting topic , just my opinion, the virtual particles are in fact created (or part) of the BH gravity field, when happens that the BH only traps one (something i think not always happens) the gravity field (as the BH) lose energy/mass, now, that is how i understand it, i might be wrong

Regards

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

welcome.

Not wrong, but not fully correct as that would require a strong math ability (much beyond me) and knowledge of general relativity, at least. If you think that the BH is some way necessary for the virtual pair to spontaneously appear where there was nothing, that is wrong. It is happening all the time thru out space. The role the BH plays is via its gravitational graient. (That falls off as the inverse cube of the distance, not the inverse square as the field itself does.)* When the pair happens very near the event horizon and one of the pair is "foolish" enough to move toward the EH, it may leave its partner stranded outside the EH without ability to annhilate in the brief time it is allowed by QM's uncertainity principle, so it becomes a permanent mass energy gain in our universe (compensted by loss of mass/energy by the BH - how this happens is why you need the GR.)

Now all of the above is just a nice story we who can not do the GR tell ourselves, to have "warm fuzzy" felling that we undestand when we do not.

If there were only one such "story" we could all be happy about BHs "evaporating" and go do something else, but unfortunately there is an equally good story to tell that contradicts this first story. Briefly it is:

BHs have a temperature at the EH, very hot if they are small.* Thus they make "Black body" radiation. It is these photon, not virtual particles , that carry energy away and force the BH to lose mass/energy.

Having one false, "warm fuzzy" story is nice; but having two conflicting one not so nice.
    -------
    *The small BHs are hotter and with stronger gradient than the big ones at their EH. For example, a BH four times less massive than a bigger one has same gravity field and its EH at half the distance, but the gradient at the EH is twice as large - why the small ones "evaporate" faster. (Also they have less mass to lose before the final flash). I don't know if this simple model gives their relative life times correctly or not. {Perhaps, if you can do calculus you will tell me. - I. e. Assume the half size one is losing mass at twice the rate AT t = 0 and faster due to the increasing gradient as it shrinks.} Compute how long until it is all gone, compared to the twice bigger one. You can find the correct answer and check this model. - I am known to be quite lazy in my old age - so it is up to you (or some one reading)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.