Hawking warns of alien contact

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by baftan, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Those priests are crafty.
    They'd soon be hacking into his voicebox with their tools.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Talk about being gagged by religious fanatics.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Gotta go, I'm on a promise, Spud Empress is the altar boy tonight. (disguised as a nun)...I'm not that sick!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Isn't Hawking just repeating what a lot of people have already said.
    Ages ago.
    I hope there's more that this old guff in the book.

8. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Projections of ourselves.
    This is who we are, Lucy. A species that has reached dominance by means of out-competing our competitors. That knowledge does linger. It's intrinsic. It's the basic makeup of every species on earth - particularly ours.
    We have two choices - we can believe in creationism, or we can believe in evolution. If the latter - then we have to assume that the dominant species from whatever point of origin would follow the same basic precepts we do.

Because, in a nutshell - we have to consider the possibility.
    Erring on the side of caution, and all that.

Besides... the possiblity that we're all going to get along just fine doesn't make Hollywood any cash.

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Mayb survival of the fitest only applys to earf... or... any Alian capable of visitin earf has evolved to a pont of pure love an wooud do us no harm... or... advanced Alians simply have no need for us/earf an continue to stay hidden for ther own protecton from other Alians... in any case... Hawkins speculaton seems reasonable enuff... but will have zero effect on "our" desire to esplore/reach out in search for "others".!!!

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Souns "jucy"... whats the curent time-line for its release... an in the meantime... how bout givin a few mor detales we can hang our hats on.???

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

No one should listen to him anymore.

12. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Why is that? He didn't say anything massively wrong in physics. You may think what he said was related to his subject, but it was just his fantasy. Does it undermine his credibility? People watch movies based on a similar plot (take Avatar).

13. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Kind of doubt that - but one can always hope:

Seriously, at this point, the only realistic speculation would revolve around:
    What would we do, given the required technology to reach another inhabited planet? :shrug:

Back to the OP...

Unless 500 years makes a difference, somebody is TOAST!

Of course we like to think we are now enlightened - however, I imagine several people on both sides of the middle east conflict would beg to differ...

14. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Why not?

15. draqon Banned Banned

Hawking should stop with his bs already and leave the peaceful aliens alone.

GO Back to reading Stephen King, Hawking.

16. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

the fact that he is right to a logical person, and is one of the brightest minds ever to set foot on this earth has absolutly nothing to do with it right?.. i for one agree wtih him. whos to say an alien race doesnt have sulferic acid as blood? we look for life but as if there can only be life that breathes oxygen in the "butter zone" or whatever that is thats the right distance from the sun.. we have already proven on this earth that organisms can live in 2000degf heat whats to say that life has to be coinsiding with us?

another point hawking makes is why would aliens "abduct" a human. well lets say for an example we go to mars and find a rat sized living rodent type thing. whats the first thing were going to try and do??? capture it and bring it back for testing!

17. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

lets not listen to one of the brightest minds on earth today sounds like a great plan giambattista

18. draqon Banned Banned

sifreak21, Hawking is not all that saintly. Many of his theories have been disproved and his most famous theory of Hawking radiation has not been found either (by GLAST @ NASA).

And now his bold claims that aliens are evil...he is going overboard. If I were to listen to a scientist, it would be someone who's theories are challenged over and over again yet the hold strength of time, Einstein is that man.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Many?
    Name three.
    What's "saintliness" got to do with it?

Most famous?

Reread the damn article: it's a fluff piece for publicity. Did he actually say that?
    Was it in context?
    What evidence do YOU have that aliens aren't evil?

Einstein's dead so he won't have an opinion on the evilness (or otherwise) of aliens.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Huh?
    As a matter of fact Hawking (as regarded by other physicists) is only "middling smart". It's only the fact that he's had a couple of books on the best-seller list that's made him prominent, not his brains as such.

21. John99 Banned Banned

We know what does not work for living organisms. Of course all we are concerned with here is living\INTELLIGENT organisms and not some bacteria that can live in an extreme. The chances any of these 'aliens' are not exactly like us, afa requirements, is most likely zero. This means they are human and the only negative is if they are less advanced, in which case it would be impossible for them to even have the slightest possibility of getting here or more advanced which makes the incidence of extreme hostility unlikely.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Projections, sure, but that's how we have been behaving, so we project and expect the same behaviour from other species. I think the logic is pretty sound.
    Let's say the Moon had an easy to mine and transfer energy source. Would we care that there are Moonies there who have more right to that resource than we do???

>our efforts to create a harmonious world...

Human worlds were never harmonious (maybe a very few tribal exeptions), so that would be against human nature. What post #25 said...

23. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

If I were an alien species landing on a new planet, the first thing we as a species would do was to eradicate the dominant intelligent species.

That is unless they taste good: then we would farm them.

Let's hope the aliens don't like the taste of human bacon.