Have you travelled to another country?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by James R, Apr 28, 2017.

?

Regarding your travels outside your home nation, select all that apply.

1. I have never travelled outside my home nation.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I have travelled to a nation that shares a border with my home nation.

24 vote(s)
    82.8%
  3. I have taken a flight to another nation that took more than 4 hours.

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  4. I have travelled to a different continent from my home continent.

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  5. I have travelled to a place where the most common language is different from my native language.

24 vote(s)
    82.8%
  6. I have travelled to a European nation (if my home is not in Europe).

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  7. I have travelled to an Asian nation (if my home is not in Asia).

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  8. I have travelled to an African nation (if my home is not in Africa).

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  9. I have travelled to a North American nation(if my home is not in North America).

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  10. I have travelled to a South American nation (if my home is not in South America).

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I was thinking that there are probably a lot of people around who never get to travel outside their home country, for financial or other reasons.

I am curious as to what the situation is with members of sciforums.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I took the long way from where I was born to where I live now (Canada), and have been back to Europe once, Mexico once
    and the US several times. Each of those trips was worthwhile and interesting, in different ways.
    I don't plan ever to leave Canada again, or to fly anywhere - especially the US.
    But hope still to see parts of Canada I haven't been able to visit - like the north.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I have never traveled to anuther country but i have been in 5 diferent American states.!!!

sideshowbob likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm from the U.S. and have lived all over the U.S. I've traveled to Europe, South America, Central America and Asia.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I'm English [1].
    Been to France a number of times, Czech Republic, Malta and the Netherlands.
    Had brief stops in Germany while travelling through (e.g. on the way to/ from Prague).

1 So can I count Scotland and Wales as different countries?

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Bucket list: hit every continent.

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I've lived in a handful of US states, been to Mexico and Canada for much fun. Sorry if that's not cosmopolitan enough,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Due to the international nature of my work with an oil major, I have visited 45 countries outside the UK and have lived in 3 of them for periods of >2 years.

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Not too hard!

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Originally English London Old Kent Road on Monopoly Board

Came on my own Australia age about 19

Stopped off various countries on the way

Main one in memory was a day off the ship touring, with a girl I meet on board and her family, in Columbia

2 cars £10 each (9 of us) the whole day

From where I live now have been back to London twice for about 3 months each time on holiday

Second time a day trip to Calais on Hovercraft

Couple of trips to Singapore

1 holiday

1 work related to do a 10 day Lifeboat Captain Survival course

Since then Bali about 40 times

1,700 klm flight time 2½ hours $200 return normal staying 3 to 4 weeks $800

Part of a 25 crew taking a oil rig 6 weeks being towed over Indian ocean Horn of Africa Red Sea Suez Canal Mediterranean

Worked in the Mediterranean flying from Darwin and seeing the Airports of London Paris Germany on short stopovers and Singapore overnight

Good life

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Let's see:
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Niger
    Belize
    St. Maarten
    Bermuda
    Mexico
    Canada
    China
    Japan
    Thailand
    Norway
    Finland
    UK
    Ireland
    France
    Spain
    Italy
    Belgium
    Germany
    Holland

Still on the list:
    Iceland
    Caymans

15. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

It looks like the Americans on Sci are doing better than I would have expected (so far). My travels...

USA: Every state except Washington, Oregon, Hawaii and Alaska. I've lived in Florida, South and North Carolina, Georgia, Ohio and Michigan.
    Rest of North America: Many trips to Canada and several to Mexico.
    Caribbean: Jamaica, Grand Bahama, D.R., Puerto Rico, Rum Cay, Barbados, Trinidad, Cayman Islands - and most likely a couple of others - this area is my favorite vacation destination as I've been living in Florida many years.
    Europe - Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Ireland, UK. Oh, and Liechtenstein, can't forget that one!
    Australia - only Sydney, but twice...

I've been very fortunate.

16. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

Greenland
    Iceland
    Norway
    Sweden
    Germany
    Belgium
    Holland
    France
    Cyprus
    Rhodes

ETA: Denmark didn't really need a mention, since it's my home country.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've been to exotic Newfoundland! Also Germany. And Israel when I was a small child.

18. timojin Valued Senior Member

Poland,Czech , Slovenia , Romania , Hungary, Turkey , Italy , Greece, Israel, Austria, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Holland , Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Lithuania , Litzenstein , 49 USA states. Philippine, Canada, From Canada to Panama , Venezuela , Colombia, Argentina, and the country were I was born.

19. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Born & live in the US.

Been to:
    Canada
    Mexico
    Costa Rica
    Peru
    England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Ireland
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Czech Republic
    Germany
    Austria
    Hungary
    Greece
    Turkey
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Fiji

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

When you look at distance and compare US states with European countries many from the U.S. travel just as much as Europeans just from that perspective.

It is a fun subject however. It's fun to try and remember the countries visited.

Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, England, France, Germany, Hong Kong and mainland China, Thailand and Macau.

21. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I live New Jersey in the US and I have never traveled to another country but I have been to different US states. I have been to New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Delaware, Maryland, Florida, Colorado, and California. If I had the time and money I would like to visit Europe, Asia, and South America.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Does Newfoundland count as "a place where the most common language is different from my native language"?

I've been to five Canadian provinces and two states. I have relatives in seven Canadian provinces, including Newfoundland.

I have no particular desire to travel anywhere in the future.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm guessing that sciforums members in general might have travelled more widely than the "average" person, but that's a not a guess based on anything particularly concrete.

But there might also be a selection effect in that people who haven't travelled widely might not want to admit it. Nevertheless, so far it looks like we have maybe 15% of respondents to the poll who haven't travelled outside their own country.

As for me, I was born and live in Australia. Within Australia, I've been to every state except one (WA). Outside of Australia, I've only gone to New Zealand, Malaysia and Singapore, and to California, Hawaii and Colorado in the US. I've touched land in Tahiti, but not for long enough to say I've really been there.

I have a lot of places on my bucket list, but I'm not sure how many I'll get to.