Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

The Gnostic wing of Christianity, if it can even be called that today, has quite a few differences to Christianity and Catholicism.

If the old Gnostic Christians were here, they would hardly recognize what has happened to the original Orthodox Catholic Church or it's various offshoots in Protestantism or Islam. The Gnostic Christian Jesus would have a fit and would be quite disappointed I think. I know that this Gnostic Christian is.

The two main differences that moved the old Christians to kill Gnostic Christians and burn their scriptures was literalism in reading scriptures and the fact that the Gnostic version of Jesus was a Universalist.

That Gnostic Christian Jesus, and the Gnostic Christians of that flavor, (there are likely as many Gnostic sects as Christian sects), sees a spark of God in all people including women and gays. That fact, to me, makes Gnostic Christianity a more desirable denomination of Christianity than all the rest.

If a religion cannot abide with equality of the sexes then to my mind it is not a just religion and is not worthy of the support of moral people. Inequality is an immoral position and most of the Abrahamic cults are of that immoral persuasion.

As the superior Catholic theology, it is my hope that Gnostic Christianity will eventually bury the non-egalitarian and immoral Christian cults as their members recognize that equality is the right moral system for all to live under.

If you have investigated Gnostic Christianity, do you agree that from a moral POV, they are the superior Christian theology thanks to equality and Universalism?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

This is a new doctrine ???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

You mean that there is actually a religion that doesn't subjugate women and demonise gay people? Thank God for that!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Some of the researchers think that this theology was the original Christian on. Catholic, the name of the first Christians means universal and you will note that the Church Rome chose to create was not universal. Gnosticism always was.

I do not think we can know today who started what but Gnostic Christians have been around just as long. It was just slightly less popular and Constantine's church killed most of us and burned our scriptures. The winners write the history and Rome did not want equality for women.

Regards
    DL

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Tell your friends. If we want justice for all, it has to start with religion, as the governments are not doing their jobs and put money above morals.

Regards
    DL

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

We don't know if Jesus exist. We can believe, but how do we know a good faith?

I gotta say I have seen a Jesus like man in a dream.

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You will know them by their works and deeds.

Christian and Muslim works and deeds include discrimination without a just cause for half the world's population, --- females and gays.

Gnostic Christianity is Universalist and see women and gays as equals.

Which works and deeds seem worthy to you?

Regards
    DL

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

12. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Mod note

Greatest I am cited for violating the following SciForums posting guideline:

Propaganda, preaching, proselytising and evangelising
    21. Propaganda is loosely defined here as posts that have no aim other than to proclaim the superiority of one belief over another, particularly where the belief in question is the subject of controversy or argument. Examples include preaching one’s own religion as the only true religion, proclaiming that one’s favoured political party is superior to the opposing party, or proclaiming that one group is morally superior to another. The signature of propaganda is that it consists largely of a member expressing strongly held personal beliefs about things that can’t be proven, supposedly in the interests of achieving some important aim (e.g. world peace, governing the nation effectively, ensuring that people act morally). - http://www.sciforums.com/announcement.php?f=22

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's harsh bro.

14. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

I don't think that warranted a citing, but a polite word would be in order because GIA went too far.

15. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I agree and just got back and I let him know what I think of his so expect that he will ban me again.
    He is not an impartial judge.

Regards
    DL

16. wvthcomp1973 Registered Member

<quote>[ENC]Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?[/ENC]</quote>

GIA -

Not much. One does not study Christian History, though, without running across it. I had heard that Gnosticism had gained a resurgence, since the discovery of the Gnostic Gospels, but I never thought it would be so much that I would actually have a chance to have even the briefest correspondence with a Gnostic. How fortunate!

I do recall from my Church History courses (about twenty years ago...) that the Nicene Creed was composed, partially to rebut claims made by the Gnostics. Specifically, a claim that Jesus never took corporeal form, as matter is evil. Am I correct in this?

The Universalist concept in Gnosticism is new to me. I do recall something about required hidden knowledge (hence, "Gnostic"), but nothing really Universalist, as I understand it. Is this a newer concept in that Branch?

17. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Nuff said.

18. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

No hidden knowledge is required with an intelligent population. It likely was for the old days but there was also a better reason. Money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7BHvN6rZZA

To your last.
    Not that I know of. Gnostic Christian believe that we all have a spark of God within us. If we are then temple of God as Jesus indicated, then our bodies, matter, is really important and a perfect repository of that Godly spark. Jesus also sais that our minds are the key to visions and apotheosis so that makes matter doubly important.

The notion of a cursed matter and earth is from the foolish Christian belief that God cursed the earth after A & E ate from the tree of knowledge.

Much of what is said of Gnostic beliefs have to be re-interpreted for clarity. Literal reading of any scriptures or what the wining side wrote of us has to be taken with a grain of salt. Christians under Roman thumbs have been liars from the beginning.

Universalism and full equality for all to us is a mater of ---http://gnosis.org/library/ephip.htm

On Righteousness

The rightousness of God is a kind of sharing along with equality. There is equality in the heaven which is stretched out in all directions and contains the entire earth in its circle. The night reveals all the stars equally.

Regards
    DL

19. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Now that really is a bit naughty. You're not supposed to alter people's posts or truncate them to change the meaning...

You should probably Mod yourself, but that's not likely to happen.

20. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

No, it demonstrated your opinion of the content.

21. Balerion Banned Banned

Not in the sense you meant, though, which is misleading.

22. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I believe knowledge is the fallen angel of light.

23. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

In what sense do you assume I meant, and how, exactly, does that conflict with what you assume he meant?