Have you ever used a Raspberry Pi?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Captain Kremmen, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

I have a Pi. I use it for development (I2C driver testing and hosting a serial port VT100 terminal) and work (using it as a second screen to display documents/websites.) It's a good backup for a PC since so many things are available via browser nowadays,

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Can you stick it in as a card in your PC?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. You can run it headless by using terminal mode (i.e. using a serial port on your PC) but it won't fit in any common card slots.

8. psikeyhackr Live Long and Suffer Valued Senior Member

I was cruising a Radio Shack last week. Everything was 30 to 70% off. Saw something called a Beaglebone Black.

I tried an Arduino for a project a couple of years ago. Total fail! The programming was a bitch.

I got this running Linus and doing digital output last night.

The quad-core Raspberry Pi 2 is shipping if it is not Out of Stock. The Beaglebone will work but I will upgrade to the Pi 2 soon.

Who needs desktops except for bloated software? LOL

psik

9. Doug Coulter Registered Member

Along with stuff I roll from scratch, I use pi's and arudinos (since someone else makes them and they'll be around for awhile). Since pi's run full linux and don't even slow down running X windows, why use a pi for what an arduino can do? Except for code you got already written, it's more or less the same language to actually program either, if you're a "real" programmer - C, or C++. Python is a fractal of bad design...;~). I do use perl as duct-tape on pi's sometimes. Since I'm already carrying hundreds of megs of ram for stupid stuff like a full blown operating system that destroys time-determinism by being pre-emptive, why not? It's a case of horses for courses. In fact, in my "LAN of things" projects, I'm using both for what they are good at, separately and together.