Have we lost our Country?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by grannyrecipe, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Surveys and polls can be slanted to show almost anything one wants to show. Anyone who believes polls and surveys is the closest thing to an idiot that the world has ever produced.

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Baron I think you need to grow up a bit. Corporations pay millions, hundreds of millions of dollars on consumer surveys every year. It is a big industry. Your party leaders spend millions on surveys, so are they too idiots?

The reality is surveys and polls are very accurate. That is why big money is spent each year on surveys. Now I know it is a requirement of your faith to disregard anything that is not in support of your preconceived ideas or from an official party source, but truth is truth and sometimes it hurts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

what about north caralina. IT went dem/left this last election. which happens to coincide with the betterment of their education systems. Why is it the states with better education systems vote democrat? Still delusional and ignoring reality I see.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

what surprise your confused.

I have shown the same amount of proof no in fact more so than the person I was replying too. Um actually I have an example something which radicand did not. That's a little bit more than just my ,according to you, "grand pronouncement" and "inflated" ego.

no I'll leave those kinds of deluded statements to you and radicand.

Still the same old buffalo resorting to insults because your not capable of honest debate.

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

9. Roman Banned Banned

I imagine the correlation between Obama support and low education is just that- the real variable is blackness.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

lets pretend for a minute that blacks were not the only ones that voted for obama.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Think about it for a moment. Pretend that you're Joe Pollster, and you have a survey/polling company. Suppose also that you want to make money and continue to do business. Now ...Ford Motor Company comes to you and offers you $$$$$ for a survey to see if people like Ford cars. Are you going to try to give them what they "really" want, or are you going to do it accurately, and possibly lose that lucrative client? Your honest answer would be nice, but I'll still read what you say.

Yes, everyone likes to read polls that show that they're nice guys.

You need to do some research on polling and surveying. You're really gonna' be surprised, shocked and astounded.

Baron Max

12. Roman Banned Banned

And that rednecks weren't the only ones to vote for McCain? Then I bet the IQs are about equal.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm not challenge that, rather I'm asking someone to pull up actually data, we have perhaps the most detail survey and polling data ever for this election, I'm sure finding out the average intelligence of the voters is just a few clicks, is anyone willing to test their opinion?

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Baron,
    Fact, polling is a big business. And it is a big business for good reason. Corporations and politicians to not pay good money to polling companies to blow smoke up their ass. Good polling companies know how to conduct proper polls/surveys. If they are not accurate they will not be in business because they have no credibiltiy and in that line of business your credibiltity is everything.

Pseudo surveys conducted not by professional polling companies but by poltitical groups and politicians surveying their backers are far from fair and honest as they were never intended to be fair and the information was never intended to be used for decision making, but rather to collect money from supporters.

Why do you think McCain stopped advertising in areas with more educated people at the end of the campaign? And if you want to go down disregarding what the professional pollsters say, how can you discount the results at the voting precents? Those that lived in more educated areas went overwhelmingly to Obama. Keep drinking the koolaid.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Places with lower educational standards are and have been for many years now more "conservative" - in the sense of reactionary and belligerent and Republican Party favoring, which seems to be the usual meaning.

That is true of every level of education considered separately, in the US.

Education itself favors liberal political philosophy (traditions one gets from home, church, and town), and that tends to be interpreted as "left" by the uneducated.

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes, pjdude, know if I had made the statement that Republican Voters are more educated than Democratic voters, I would have linked some supporting information from some one with credentials to back my assertions.

So therefor Conservative Republican Voters are more intelligent and educate than Liberal Democratic Voters:

James Lindgren is a professor of law at Northwestern University. Born in 1952 in Rockford, Illinois, Lindgren graduated from Yale College (1974, cum laude) and the University of Chicago Law School (1977), where he was an editor of the University of Chicago Law Review.

Lindgren writes:

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/archives/014093.php

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

1. still to stupid to understand an example. 2. I linked to a source not someone's opinion or what they believed but hard data. 3. my reference comes from a later date than yours. 4. your using years of education whereas I am going roughly with quality of education. 6 years in the number 1 education system is worth more than 12 in the number 40 5. your doing individuals while I am talking about groups. 6. the GSS that your quoting states that liberals are more educated than conservatives.

your flailing about is amusing though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  18. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

No, we have not lost our country. In fact there was a sense that we might be on the verge of losing it, but in the election we showed that it was still there, and perfectly fine.

It sounds like you may have lost your country, but it also sounds like that may have happened around 1964/65.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

This might be becuase a majority of College professors are decidely leftist. I would note that these are also the people who could not function in normal society and thus cling to life in academia becuase elsewhere they can't exist.

I would also note that a majority of people with business and financial degrees are conservatives. Same can be said of theologians, Agriculturalist, conservationists and many of the more physical sciences. Liberals seem to thrives in english and soft sciences departments as well as philosophy. Not that their aren;t liberal MBA's or Conservative Interpretive Dancers, but the majority is the other way.

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Couple of things to consider:

In the 80s, Scientific American became a leftist magazine, and has been occasionally attacked as such ever since.

In your stereotyping of "college professors", are you actually counting the membership in the various categories before you say "most"? Are the faculty members at the hundreds of religious colleges also "leftist", for example?

There aren't that many professors of interpretive dance. There are quite a few professors of mathematics, history, various medical disciplines, geology, etc. The majority of college professors appear to fall into categories you label as not leftist. (example count: there are 48 professors on the English faculty of my local state University, and 76 on the mathematics faculty).

It is true that the majority of well-educated people in the US are opposed to authoritarian, especially fascist, governance. That might appear "leftist", from a certain point of view.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I love the media conspiracy its so perfectly unbeatable, its equivalent to saying "Aliens are control the world since 1970!" You don't need any proof, some people will simply believe you because they like were your going with it.

22. radicand Registered Senior Member

23. radicand Registered Senior Member

The reality is surveys and polls are very accurate.

Wrong!!!

That said, polls can be interesting and sometimes (only sometimes) accurate.

The real issue is not the polls themselves, but how they are framed and more importantly how people came to the conclusions that they did. Unfortunately, many times the questions posed effect the answers given. These people are paid enormous amounts of money because they understand how to get a result.

The bottom line for you is that you follow the polls exactly the same way you criticize others for doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.