Has Comey Put to Rest the Trump-Russia Narrative?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bowser, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

• Knowingly, Willingly, and Intentionally misrepresenting facts really needs to stop at this point
    Comey has told us that Trump is not being, nor has he been, investigated for collusion with the the Russians. Is this narrative now dead for the Democrats? If so what will they pull out of their asses next?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No it's not. And by the way, Democrats are not in charge of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Except that's not what Comey told us. Oops.

douwd20 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Seems misleading.

There's a technicality:
    His 2016 campaign was and is being investigated for such collusion. So your contention is that they are and have been investigating his campaign without investigating him?

Obstruction of justice seems like an obvious possibility.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It is significant, I suppose, that not only do you respond to the occasion by making shit up, you also make shit up that is precisely and verifiably wrong.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Ah...denial.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And how does that change any of the relevant facts here? Trump's lawyers lying? That isn't even new. Trump and his crew have been lying for decades. The guy who wrote Trump's book,"The Art of the Deal" even came up with a name for it. He called "truthful hyperbole", but there is nothing truthful either Trump or his "truthful hyperbole".

Below is a link to a very "conservative" journal for your further edification:
    http://www.newsmax.com/FareedZakaria/trump-comey-truth-facts/2017/05/18/id/791045/

"The Washington Post's reporters Glenn Kessler and Michelle Ye Hee Lee describe Donald Trump as "the most fact-challenged politician" they have "ever encountered." They pointed out that, after having received a whopping 59 "Four Pinocchio" ratings during the campaign, Trump in his first 100 days made 492 "false or misleading claims," at an average of 4.9 a day. These fact checkers clarified that "those numbers obscure the fact that the pace and volume of the president's misstatements means that we cannot possibly keep up." By their count, there were only 10 days in the first 100 days where Trump did not make a false or misleading claim."

Who are you going to believe a career civil servant with a history of speaking truth to power or Donald Trump? Anyone who believes anything Trump or his associates have to say are suckers extraordinaire.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    douwd20 likes this.
  11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Aye, who has done more to prove themselves trustworthy...?

Comey, who served faithfully and with distinction under several presidents from both sides of the political isle? Whose story has remained consistent, detailed, and resplendently complete?

Or Donald Trump, the man who willingly attacked disabled folks, called for reporters to be "roughed up", stiffed contractors and builders out of untold hundreds of thousands of dollars, bankrupted multiple companies, and knowingly and willfully mislead people with Trump U?

Hm... difficult choice (if one is mentally deficient, perhaps).

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I find the whole issue to be a straw man. I have never heard any one claim that Donald Trump himself was under investigation, only that the Trump campaign was. (Of course, the person at the top is ultimately responsible. The buck stops here.)

What I find most troubling is that Trump never asked what could be done to prevent tampering in the future. He was only concerned with how the allegations reflect on him. (Me! Me! Me! Me! All he cares about is himself - he's not in it for the country.)

joepistole likes this.
  13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I think the GOP as a whole has made it obvious at this point that they aren't in it for the country... they have put party way above their patriotic duty.

joepistole likes this.
  14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Whether or not is is dead for any member of the legislature, there is nothing to suggest the possibility has been excluded from the investigations of the special prosecutor. After all, who knows what new information may be uncovered in the course of them?

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

One of the last things that happened before James Comey was fired is the FBI sent over to Congress some corrections to his testimony: When asked last month about the comparison between his handling of Clinton and Trump issues during the election, Mr. Comey gave an answer explaining why he came forward about Clinton; his answer to this question, an overstatement of what the FBI was dealing with, is what the Justice Department corrected. That is to say, asked why he did what he did during the election, Mr. Comey lied.

And his explanation of the Clinton matter shifted again during Thursday's hearing.

The thing is that Jim Comey got caught lying about why he asserted his office to throw the election.

The American people are screwed: One on side is professional liar who should never be trusted; on the other is President Donald Trump, who is even less reliable. This is what we call lose-lose, and for Republicans exactly #WhatTheyVotedFor.

If there is any justice, then James B. Comey will rot in a prison cell right alongside the Trumps. Given that he is supposed to be smarter, it is only my standing objection to capital punishment by which I would argue the former FBI Director should not be executed for treason.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Given that Comey confirmed that Trump fired him because he refused to derail the Flynn investigation, and Comey confirmed that Trump is now under investigation for obstruction of justice - that cloud over Trump's head just got a lot darker.

What will you pull out of your ass next to try to distract, distort and deflect from this development?

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Interesting - I missed that! It had been my understanding that it was not his intent to go "public" with it, but rather that Jason Chaffetz was the one that brought it into the public sphere when Comey briefed them?

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/10...fez-releasing-comey-clinton-email-letter.html
    Granted, I could have my timeline out of whack.

18. geordief Valued Senior Member

Suppose Trump had actually been under personal investigation when he put that directly to Comey ,was Comey obliged to answer him truthfully? Suppose Trump had subsequently attempted to interfere with the hypothetical investigation.

Or is any citizen entitled to know if he or she is the subject of an investigation(in a similar vein to habeas corpus) ?

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That... is actually a pretty good question. I guess the best response would have been "I am not at liberty to say"... which we can safely assume Trump wouldn't have accepted.

20. The God Valued Senior Member

Senate is bunch of politicians first. Politicians feel that it is their prerogative, if they have the power, to question officials, Comey being one. So Trump questioning of FBI or Comey is no big deal for Senate guys. Moreover a president will not be impeached based on the testimony of a guy whose personal truthfulness is exposed. There is more than sufficient material that Comey lied, so Trump sails through this safely.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Lets be honest - it wouldn't matter if we had recorded video from six different angles and sources showing Trump face-fucking a newborn infant to death... the GOP will not impeach him until they are done using him like the tool he is.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Via ProPublica↱:

On Tuesday, the FBI sent a letter to Congress correcting inaccurate congressional testimony by Director James Comey, six days after he mischaracterized what the FBI discovered on Anthony Weiner's laptop. The bureau addressed the matter in a two-page letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee from its congressional liaison, explaining that it was "intended to supplement" Comey's testimony, by providing "the full context of what was reviewed and found on the laptop."

In it, the FBI acknowledged that only a "small number" of more than 49,000 "potentially relevant" emails found on Weiner's laptop had been forwarded from Clinton deputy Huma Abedin to Weiner, her husband, not hundreds or thousands as Comey had stated. The FBI said just two of those messages contained classified information.

The letter was issued shortly before Donald Trump issued his own letter firing Comey, accompanied by a Justice Department memo detailing the FBI director's "serious mistakes" in handling the Clinton email investigation.

FBI director James Comey generated national headlines last week with his dramatic testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, explaining his "incredibly painful" decision to go public about the Hillary Clinton emails found on Anthony Weiner's laptop.

Perhaps Comey's most surprising revelation was that Huma Abedin—Weiner's wife and a top Clinton deputy—had made "a regular practice" of forwarding "hundreds and thousands" of Clinton messages to her husband, "some of which contain classified information." Comey testified that Abedin had done this so that the disgraced former congressman could print them out for her boss. (Weiner's laptop was seized after he came under criminal investigation for sex crimes, following a media report about his online relationship with a teenager.)

The New York Post plastered its story on the front page with a photo of an underwear-clad Weiner and the headline: "HARD COPY: Huma sent Weiner classified Hillary emails to print out." The Daily News went with a similar front-page screamer: "HUMA ERROR: Sent classified emails to sext maniac Weiner."

The problem: Much of what Comey said about this was inaccurate. Now the FBI is trying to figure out what to do about it.

FBI officials have privately acknowledged that Comey misstated what Abedin did and what the FBI investigators found. On Monday, the FBI was said to be preparing to correct the record by sending a letter to Congress later this week. But that plan now appears on hold, with the bureau undecided about what to do.

‡​

It could not be learned how the mistake occurred. The FBI and Abedin declined ProPublica's requests for comment on the director's misstatements.

According to two sources familiar with the matter—including one in law enforcement—Abedin forwarded only a handful of Clinton emails to her husband for printing—not the "hundreds and thousands" cited by Comey. It does not appear Abedin made "a regular practice" of doing so. Other officials said it was likely that most of the emails got onto the computer as a result of backups of her BlackBerry.

And damned if this isn't what President Donald Trump managed to forestall in the discourse. The lionizing of James Comey taking place even in my media spheres is sickening, but, you know, apparently Donald Trump just couldn't call a win a win.

Notes:

Elkind, Peter. "James Comey's Testimony on Huma Abedin Forwarding Emails Was Inaccurate". 8 May 2017. ProPublica. Updated 9 May 2017. ProPublica.org. 9 June 2017. http://bit.ly/2ph2j7q

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Am I the only person who finds these statements contradictory?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/politics/donald-trump-james-comey-vindication/index.html

Did he lie? Or did he disseminate "privileged information"?