Has anyone thought about creatures would be on high gravity planets?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by dinokg, Jul 1, 2003.

1. dinokg Registered Senior Member

Ballon type creatures could work but the best type would be a mixture.

For instance you could have a flat slug like creature the moves on land to eat and then if it needs to go somewhere for more food or to escape preditors it could just inflate and float to a new area!

It could be called the balloon slug.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cynthia Registered Member

<u>If</u> there are living things on the moon and they come to Earth,theywould face the problem of too much gravity too but I suppose as the time they stay on the Earth grow,they would soon be able to adapt to Earth's gravity.:bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. troj Registered Senior Member

consider

this subjuct contains a number of variating factors such found in a scientific experiment; With the sketchy 'scientific' element of personal belief .................................................'are we alone?'

basically, since the dawn of man we have questioned our isolation in the universe.

The thought of evoloution igniting another plannet millions of miles away isnt to much of a dry cwacka to swallow!

being aware of this thought, consider the random-ness of the universe, what are the chances of all physical attributes defining that planet and its 'laws' being equal in strenght and proportion to ours?........minimal right!

so lets refresh.....................

we adknowledge the fact that life is far to complex to just accept and that evouloution is a 'gift' of some variaty.

we adknowledge the fact that this universe is older bigger wiser smarter than all of us.

we adknowledge that it is ignorant to assume we are existance in its only form.

So applying these concepts... Assume:

Yes there are other planets.

Yes evoloution can commence on other planets.

what would life be like upon these planets?

Unsubstanciated comment: These life forms would logically evolve through there own course of evoloution.

scientific fact: (SUMMARIZATION)

Once a few 'head out the sand' concepts are considered the logical truth is easy enough to bear.....

Evoloution will grow to fit its basic habitat.........earth had sun and water.................Thus using O2 + co2 for a basic fuel for life forms..........

where as on some plannets a high nitrogen atmoshphere could be accounted thus the internal organs will differ to accomidate different life processes. plus mabye another varient factor such as a .125 gravity equivilent...thus resulting in mabye stronger/longer limbs due to the excess strain inflicted upon the movement.

Its only after typing for an hr or so you loose your point, and although Im sure I had one when I started....im dam'd if I know where the buGG£'s run off 2!!!!

N E WAYZ THESE ARE PRETTY MUCH MY VIEWS ON EVOLOUTION/OTHER LIFE. > I await comments

p.s I RUSHED THIS 'COS IM AT WORK...DO'T DIS MY GRAMMER OR SPELLING.....................

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dinokg Registered Senior Member

All the stuff you talked about is true except the part about .125 gravity.

.125 gravity would be very low so it wouldn't hold much of an atmosphere. Also the creatures would be larger but weaker than there equivalents on earth. Also there would be real small and real large creatures just like on earth.

On a planet like this bug like creatures could grow HUGE!

8. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

correct me if im wrong, since my source is the movie Mimic, but I thought bugs couldnt get large because of lacking transport systems? No organs?

In keeping with the lessons of the holy book (DUNE), we should remember that the more hostile the location, the more badass the locals will be. (Aint nobody touchin those Fremen) You know what'd be a cool experiment...

We could sow the seeds of life on some totally inhospitable planet... Like, maybe a world with increased gravity, or unusually strong solar radiation. Then just put millions of bacteria on different regions of the planet. We could be the silent watchers... like the aliens on SciFi channel. Of course, the net result would take billions of years to obtain... and the results themselves would be so badass they'd probably kill us all.

On the other hand, just reading what I just wrote makes me lend more credit to the theories of those crackpots who say life here is from other planets...
    >theme from twilight zone<

9. dinokg Registered Senior Member

I think the reason that bugs can't get huge on earth is because they have an exoskeleton and wouldn't be able to support their own weight if they were really large.

10. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

damn you, scifi channel! you've foiled me again!

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes I have, they would be smaller and flatter, you see more slug, starfish, millipede body design (more lags the better) after twice earths gravity there is not much of a chance of a surface anymore the planet will most likely become a gas giant and we would see sky based life (balloon like creatures)

12. Cynthia Registered Member

I agree first of all we are not even sure if there are living things on other planets (because the fact is that we really do not even know) or I might say stars as well cause now we are not sure,stars seem impossible but there might be,different living things has different adaptation,we are unable to live on stars now cause of the water and air problem but maybe living things on living on the stars might not have any of this problem,I really think that maybe there are really living things on stars or other planets and if there is living things on other planets,I though they might be interested in knowing if there are living things on other planet apart from thiers.

13. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

i think our problem, and any other organic life form's problem with life on stars would be the heat and radiation. i can imagine ethereal aliens on a star, or maybe the Pheonix (X-Men).

but the point is evolving enhanced strenghts from tougher environments, and although admittedly a star is about as tough an environment as it comes, it may be TOO tough for single celled organisms.

14. Cynthia Registered Member

I am just thinking what if the living thing on stars are totally different from us?We need oxygen maybe they need hydrogen,we might think that it is too difficult to live on stars but maybe they think otherwise,they might think that it is simply impossible for living things to live on Earth?

I mean if there are really living things on stars then they must be adapted to live on stars as we are adapted to live on Earth,I mean we are not able to live on stars cause we are not able to adapt to the stars enviroment and more but the living things on stars might be adapted to living on stars.

An example the heat and radiation are too strong for us too survive but imagine there are living things on Pluto,if they come to Earth,they will face the problem of strong heat and radiation and they night not even survive cause if they live on Pluto,the heat and radiation they recieve are what we consider weak but they are not at least to what the pluto living things think,it is just like if we go to Mercury.I mean no offence by what I say

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  15. river-wind Valued Senior Member

the problem with that is twofold:
    1)our life requires oxygen because of it's ability to form and break chemical bonds. an-aerobic organisms don't use oxygen at all, however, they get less than 50% of the available NRG out of a reaction because of this.

2)the heat and radiation in a star would kill us because it would break down our chemical bonds. so unless the life could figure out a method for a)preventing the bond from breaking or b)fixing the bonds faster than they break, life couldn't sustain itself given the physics of chemistry. Going from nothing to full life given one of these two requirements make this seem unlikely.

However, there are species of bacteria which have learned to live on the crusted caps of anti-bacterial solutions, so you never know.

I find the hovering thing very interesting. if the gravity were stronger, then the density of the atmosphere would be greater, possibly allowing for beings who never touch the ground, but swim around in the air. they could easily regulate their height by increasing or decreasing the size of an air-filled sack; using the differences in density to change altitude, just like fish use an airbladder.

16. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

i am by no means an astronomer (with any luck ill get a major in bio

) but i would like to pose a hypothetical situation

If Bob--and let us say for the purposes of this hypothertical situation Bob is completely invulnerable to the hostile conditions of space-- were to travel to Jupiter, the giant gaseous planet of our solar system, he would find no "surface." If he tried to walk on this planet he would be unable to do so.

however, wouln't he eventually reach a point where the gas became so dense he would be in effect "hovering"? or, perhaps a more appropriate wording, "floating"? there should be a point where his body's density = the density of the gas he's suspended in, right?

so... for all intents and purposes... aliens living on planet such as jupiter, or any planet whos gravity is so great it forms a gas giant, wouldnt even need to be balloons. they could be shaped like, say... silly putty. to get higher, theyd have to spread out, and lower their density, to get lower, theyd have to condense themselves.

as i said, im no astronomer. just my idle musings --^

17. Cynthia Registered Member

Well,I really don't know

but why should I care it still doesn't effect me

18. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

or... does it?

19. dinokg Registered Senior Member

Actually the silly putty creature you mentioned is possible.

You could have a creature that has millions of micro air sacks that can move into different possitions using its puttyness.

If made like this it could expand alot and also compact it self just like you mentioned.

It would kind of be like and evolved balloon creature!

Also do to being like putty it could make its body into whatever shape it wants so it could potentially have hand like things if it wanted to!

It this creature evolved intelegence it would be a prime canidate for a civilization producer and eventually space travel!

20. splunk yo' mama so fat... Registered Senior Member

and being on such a high gravity planet, it would be pretty strong... someone call speilberg! we got a winner here!

21. dinokg Registered Senior Member

Hears some more putty creature thoughts.

It could also have chameleon type abilites. Since it can already change its shape all it whould need to do is change its color in order to look like just about anything!

So in total all the things a putty creature on a gas planet could do are fly, have super strength, morph its shape, be a chameleon, plus grow, and shrink!

Not to bad for a putty creature.

22. river-wind Valued Senior Member

OT: yey! fetus found a new jar

23. troj Registered Senior Member

dinokg and his putty

it could also evolve DINOKG...and that opens infinate possibilities! and enviroments can evolve! so the only limitation is time