harassment

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by paulsamuel, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

All I can see is that it sucks that you're being harrassed. And I understand what you say about scientists being open about who they are and all that. But, you gotta realize that a good percentage of people on this site are not scientists. Many aren't even out of high school yet. Do you expect them to be mature as a scientist? Not that a scientist is necessarily mature. But, you get my point.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

as i said, i have no expectations, but what would you do?

calling the police is a little extreme, but it would identify the little shit.

of course i won't reciprocate.

it appears Porf. won't do anything without real proof, but i need the police for that.

it's annoying because the coward won't identify himself, and it does disrupt my work.

so far, no pearls of wisdom here.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Paul,
    I know there are many ways to help deal with anonymous phonecalls. One is to use a Caller ID phone setup, where you only answer to those that the ID can be read.
    There are methods of only allowing Encrypted channels, however thats a little extreme in this case (and costly since everyone you want to speak to needs to be able to communicate with your encryption system). If they get too annoying you can either:

Pull the plug out of your phone or,
    Setup a phone redirect to somewhere like a Sexline with premium charges (Make sure the charges don't fall on you though)

As most people have mentioned Do not output your personal information on the internet, if you need to output your information then do so with care. (For instance Authors don't output their home information for people to contact them, they tend to go through their publishers, or at least thats the way the public has to go to submit anything to them)

If your concerned about the individual then you would need to change alot of information about yourself, and where you are and of course if it persists inform the authorities.

If your concerned about some information on the net filtering on there, then start a disinformation campaign, place in areas people can find false information and facts about yourself that you've concocted. Then as much as they think they know about you, they don't anything. (It's a good one for lowering the chances of password cracks from getting hold of your mother maidenname etc)

[Social engineering can be misused by individuals to get information that can be abused, if they don't call you directly they can call people you work for/with or your bank etc and attempt to gleam more information while pretending to be yourself.
    Not everybody does it, and those that get caught get heavy consequences thrown at them which are usually heavy to try and stop people doing it who might find themselves a target of Vigilante reprisals for their pranks.]

Lastly Paul, Although someones done this it doesn't mean the worlds against you so I would refrain from being too upset at individuals for their posts (which might have been misread) otherwise you might end up causing more problems than solving.

Namely don't attempt to give reason for people to harass you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I believe we told you how we would deal with the situation, therefore there is no need to be so damn rude. Rosa merely asked a question and instead of answering her, you react by throwing a tantrum. You tell us that you have a doctorate? Well maybe it's time you started acting like you do.

And now you are just acting like an arsehole. She wouldn't have asked if she didn't want to know.

You asked for our opinion on what we would do in your situation and we've all replied. And instead of taking those opinions into consideration, or even reading them, you have only picked arguments with everyone in your replies. Some of us here are actually trying to help you. So stop acting like such a spoiled prat.

The only one I'm seeing who is being a bitch here Paul is you. Grow up.

If the calls continue, then you should call the police. I think I told you that in my first post in this thread. Also let the university know and maybe the switchboard can attempt to screen your calls.

But I will say this yet again, take ALL personal details out of your profile. That includes your name and place of work. As I said to you before. This is a public forum and not all people who read this site are part of the scientific community.

If the calls continue, then get the police and then show Porf the proof. Internet harrassment and stalking is illegal and if it keeps up, then you will need to get the police involved. Porf cannot do anything about it without proof. You would be the same in his shoes. I can tell you now with certainty though. The police will tell you to get rid of all your personal details from your profile in all public forums.

Have your calls screen by the switchboard. And you're right, he/she is a coward. Idiots who do this sort of thing usually are. What you should do is set your phone up to an answering machine and any calls that get through the university switchboard can then be further screened by you. That is what I do when I am researching or marking papers because any call can be disruptive while working. And as I have said several times already, if the calls continue then you will need to get the police involved.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

As I pointed our earlier; as an author of a scientific paper your work address and email address are included in every article you publish. The abstracts including this information is always freely available (for instance pubmed).

That is the nature of science. If there wouldn't be this information peer review would fall on his ass. Hence you can't really ask us not to put personal information on the internet. We have to do this.

9. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

He did not want help, that was fairly evident from the start. His also setting himself up for more pranks with this thread.

I also agree with the monkey above, that you should be able to share you info with out fear of anything. But the internet is a gigantic mask granting anonymity, and once in a while some ass is going to use it.

10. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

That's not true, and if you back over the posts you'll see that. Rosa asked the question and I answered it politely. When she accussed me of acting like a 13 yr. old girl, I reacted rudely, in kind, to a rude comment.

I don't think so. I think she was picking a fight. No matter how I answered that question, she was coming back with a rude response. Ask her. Ask her to answer you honestly. I think she'll say it was a baited question and that she was coming back with a rude response no matter how I answered the question.

Thank you.
    Never! I have only responded rudely to rudeness to me. Go back over the posts and you'll see.
    Thank you.
    I don't think I am, so you must be reading more into my posts than I am actually inputing.

Again, I am only responding in kind.

11. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

I don't see where you get this.

I was only asking for info on what others here would do if it happened to them.

Actually, so far, no one has answered what they would do, but some have provided options.

12. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

ignore it, have they called back?
    if not, drop it and stop posting things here. if he phones again, find out the number, or of course you can always do whatever the equivalent of 1471 is over there and start harassing him. im sure thatd piss him off enough to stop it.
    if your not into that, once youve found the number get it blocked. if he called you from work it should not be that hard to get your tech guy to block it. if he asks why, just say hes putting you off working, noones really going to care.
    thats just my advice though, and plenty of people will tell you its not worth spit

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

yes, but what would you do?

say you had a job (joking), no, say you were at work, the boss comes over and says there's a call, and you go to the phone and it's someone from SciForums who won't identify themselves. OK, so you hang up, then 10 minutes later, the boss has to come over again to tell you there'a another phone call, and it's the same dude. it's actually kind of creepy, especially when he won't hang up, he's just hangs on listening. fucking weirdos post here, ya know.

14. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

okidoke, what i would do is WHAT I POSTED ABOVE.
    just cause i used YOU as the subject doesnt mean i wasnt talking about what id do: note the words:
    "thats just my advice though"
    that was the thing we call over here a 'hint'. get it yet?

15. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I did.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sadly I have been ignoring paulsamuel for awhile now (he is on ignore list), so having to read this was hard.
    First of all I had to deal with paulsamuel for 2 years now if I was going to call and pester him it would have been along time ago!

On the issue of information disclose, showing off personal information is the problem, when you join an Internet forum no one knows who you are unless you tell them (or give them clues) that includes scientist with personal information on the web.

paulsamuel,

If you wish to verify personally that I am or am not your suspect you can PM me and I would be more then willing to talk to you over the phone via my phone number to prove my innocents.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(I'm serious about this by the way)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  17. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Whoa, did you see WCF's original of that last post before he edited it? It was not reassuring as he went on about egging others to do such a call or other garbage. Does sound like a good idea for you to get his phone number, Paul, and call him (collect?).

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

yes, and if you noted the the "(i'm joking part)" but Ya I thought that was a little mean for me to say so I deleted it.

if you want me to repeat it as it was funny:
    Personally paulsamuel accusing me of this without evidence does have me angry, and when I get angry I tend to say bad things like that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  19. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Ok, this is bloody annoying me and I'm not through the last fucking page.

Rosa Magika, Persol, Bells,etc shut your santimonious fucking mouths!!!!!

He does not fucking have to explain why the hell he posted a message inquiring what actions he should perhaps take by an anonymous fucking poster of SCIFORUMS!!

**hed takes a bloody bat and simply batters the three fuckers**

His personal information on a forum whose ultimate aim is a meeting place or scientists or others to discuss??? This demands his abuse? Illogical fuckers! It is analogous to the pretty girl who gets raped, and the dumb fuckers who attempt to blame her for being too pretty and wearing a fucking short dress. It is her bloody right to wear that fucking dress; it is not a bloody right to rape her.

Paul, if you want to leave your personal information there for those who might have worthy inquiries, fine. If this anonymous caller calls again, follow stryder's advise.

:m: Hed fuming.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If he wanted to meet other scientist and discussing with them, then he should have gone to a more scientific forum. There are plenty of them, there not hard to find. After dealing with him for this long I can assure you he comes here to show off, hence he post his info.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is not your (WCF) business to decide to which forum we should go.

22. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

OK fine, let's entertain the notion that he is here to "SHOW OFF": is that a fucking reason for him to receive unwanted calls from a member, or worse, have members criticize him for putting his bloody info on the web? Should we ask the verbose to limit because some moron's ego is getting fucked? NO. We ask because it takes too much time to read and reply. Thus, if his info is making your eyes bleed, then by all means crtcize from such a bloody stance.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes it is reason for him to be critizied for posting his info. And no it not my business to tell him that this is not a serious site and there are alot of jerk off around here and that he was taking his chances badly, he should have figure that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.