Happy colors.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Enmos, Jun 22, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, its brainwashing. Different colours mean different things in different cultures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_symbolism_and_psychology

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Finally some sort of an answer, thanks.
    So you think it's nurture ?
    You mentioned your research. What sort of research is that, anything related ?

Finally, are you skeptical about a possible evolutionary cause or are you saying you just don't know ?

Edit:
    If you were raised in a war torn zone of Bosnia, you may associate red wtih blood and death.
    But they will still think a field of flowers is a beautiful sight, even if they are poppies.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, I am somewhat color-disturbed if you can call it that.
    I'm colorblind and fascinated with colors, but I also don't notice color that much (I see it, but I don't notice it as much as others).
    I think as a result of that I'm maybe not as hung up on cultural color interpretation is others.

It's not your answers perse.. it's more how you put them.
    So how old are you ? Just interested.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Please, just fucking die already.

You might be interested to know that in older times pink was the colour of males, because it is a dilution of red and thus associated with energy and strength, and blue was the female colour because it was associated with calm.

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Well, parts of girls can be pink, but I think the comparison is much more direct and obvious..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The research I have personally done was cited in a previous post:
    Admittedly, this small sample does not directly address the subject of cultural bias, as all subjects were from the same region. (United States)

In conjunction, I reviewed whatever material was available about the subject at the time. I was intrigued because the results actually supported a "new age" concept, so I have followed further developments as I encountered them.

I am saying I don't know. I hunted down this reference to physiological reactions for you:

It would seem that a nurture response could transform to a nature response if the selection is positive. Meaning that if a behavior, i.e. outlook or view, in an organism's environment or culture is positive and helpful, such as "yellow berries are bad", then perhaps this could lead to longer life / more prolific childbearing, etc. This is all total speculation, all I really know, or at least am totally convinced of, is that the affect of colours on psyche is very real...

I hear you, I was just trying to illustrate the point that different contexts may evoke different reactions...

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks Randwolf

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I am convinced that there are at least aspects of it that are evolved.
    I'm just having trouble figuring out the mechanisms.

It's pretty obvious that if there would have always been blue creatures in our species history that were extremely dangerous to us, that this would have an evolutionary effect on us.
    Perhaps we would have been extremely sensitive to blue in order to spot the danger early on.
    I'm looking for a similar process but, of course, not nearly as obvious.

10. Lemming Registered Member

I like the benetton colour the fairy wing effect, i think that is calming!