Happy colors.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Enmos, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm trying to figure out how this could have been evolved. I like it though.
    However, what you are describing could very well be an effect of what I described in the OP.

It seems logical that colorfulness should first have acquired status before the affluent began wearing it.
    I'm thinking of spring rituals where maybe some equivalent of medicine men wore spring colors, to welcome to spring and ensure a fertile year.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ok well why do they put nuts in an all white padded room? What does all white do?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yeah and me, i love the smell of welsh hills, and the beach they make me happy,

but i do like the colour black (doesnt make me happy or sad) and i love blue

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

because white is a calming colour apprently,

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, wouldn't a bright red apple be better than a dark brown one? Maybe we evolved the response for health reasons :shrug:

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Unlikely, brightly colored berries are often poisonous.
    A really good example (although not a classical fruit) is the Fly Agaric, brightly colored red with white spots and deadly poisonous.
    On the other hand brightly colored fruit is brightly colored so it stands out more, so animals can spot it more readily.
    I think you suggestion has some merit but only to point out that color vision has evolved because it was a distinct advantage.
    It doesn't say anything about why brightly colored things or colorful things make people good-natured in general.

What do you think about my suggestion in the OP ?

10. Yorda Registered Senior Member

bright is happy because people fear darkness. darkness is sadness. love is fire. fire is red. lion is fire. check zodiac. the ancients understood it.

darkness is not fun because you can't see anything.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yorda, no disrespect.. but how old are you ?

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I don't like to wear bright colors, I look stupid. You will never catch me wearing yellow for instance.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

People that look stupid don't like to wear bright colors ??
    Because you blend into your environment too well ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I mean I don't think I look good in a lot of bright colours.
    I look good in a bright Pink T shirt, yellow I feel like big bird.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol I know what you meant

It seems nobody here can answer the question though.
    Everyone is talking about something else..

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ok, I will try and answer the question.

I think it is to do with what you unconsciously associate with a colour. If you think of black as mysterious and primordial, you will probably like it, if you associate it with death, you probably won't.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But why ?

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

And why is it that some colours clash while other accommodate.

Orange and purple dont go...for some reason. I believe this is universal for all peoples of the world.

Why is it that vibrant colours are fine for a child's bedroom, but one has to add small amounts of black to mute them for the parents room.

19. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Suddenly, I want to visit the Ocean

20. draqon Banned Banned

me too...

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I seem to thrive in that type of environment for the nightime is the right time for making love!

22. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Maybe God said so? We should ask SAM...

Seriously, what answer are you after? The primary affect is going to be due to nurture, if you grew up with your parents telling you to associate red with Valentine's day, you will think of red with love. If you were raised in a war torn zone of Bosnia, you may associate red wtih blood and death.

With the exception of the physiological affects noted in my earlier post, there does not seem to be much emperical investigation into this phenomenom. How else can we help you, besides speculation? Perhaps you can imagine gray being associated with drab, drear days in your childhood, trapped inside by rain. Maybe a mixture of yellow and green, "institutional colors", evokes a feeling of nausea in people because it reminds them of puke? (By the way, by my research, this is the most universal color reaction, observed in most populations)

Point is, it is primarily a cultural issue, influenced by how and where you were raised. Beyond that, we just don't know....

23. Yorda Registered Senior Member

some think that pink is a color for girls because humans have made it that way. but in reality, pink = girl, because they share the same essence. they are the same type. soft color. girls are soft. boys are hard.

why is up positive and down negative? we subconsciously feel that down is "bad", so we created expressions like "are you feeling down today?".

soft = sensitive
    hard = insesitive, "cold"

the ancients said that yin and yang is in everything.

i seem have the answers for everything, so how young can i be?