Happiness is abnormal

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Syzygys, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1619629

A proposal to classify happiness as a psychiatric disorder.

Bentall RP.

Department of Clinical Psychology, Liverpool University.
    Abstract

It is proposed that happiness be classified as a psychiatric disorder and be included in future editions of the major diagnostic manuals under the new name: major affective disorder, pleasant type. In a review of the relevant literature it is shown that happiness is statistically abnormal, consists of a discrete cluster of symptoms, is associated with a range of cognitive abnormalities, and probably reflects the abnormal functioning of the central nervous system. One possible objection to this proposal remains--that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

It looks like someone is being satirical.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Emil Valued Senior Member

One of the human characteristic is the spirit of competition.
    (It would be interesting to analyze what is the spirit of competition and what is its purpose, and if it also exists in animals)
    Worldwide there are sports.What gets the winner and his supporters?They get happiness.

Another characteristic of humanity is love.
    A requited love creates happiness.
    An unrequited love creates the opposite of happiness.

If the proposal to classify happiness as a psychiatric disorder comes from a deeply unhappy man who does not understand happiness then from his point of view is correct.
    But I think those who like sport or fall in love are many and they will classify him as having psychiatric disorder.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. M00se1989 Banned Banned

If happyness is a psichyatric disorder then I'm definitely delusional and skizophrenic.
    But these are under strick If and only If conditions.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'd suggest the person attempting to suggest "happiness" is a psychological disorder is themselves suffering from a Psychologist or Psychiatrists form of "Hypochondria" merged with OCD, and in all likelihood would probably be asked not to practice as a professional for fear that their problems might stem further.

However we could state that blatent sarcasm is obviously a disorder.

9. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Happiness is delusion suffered by others. At any point it can be broken with devastating results..Be miserable now! that's an order!

10. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Where does the cost/risk analysis come into all of this?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But they give me "happy pills" at my doctors office to keep me in a good mood. I'm being treated for sadness and the only thing they have to counteract that is happiness so I guess I'm going from one type of disorder to another. :shrug:

12. M00se1989 Banned Banned

Blantant sarcasm is a condition to this disorder of happiness.... which causes laughter as well. I tell you, this disorder of happiness is absolute insanity. To persue this disorder is to not have it. You have to wait until someone else thinks it is an abnormal amount of laughter before they haul you off to the looney bin. Either way the disease is very hard to spread into a society.

13. jmpet Valued Senior Member

...and the concensus is...?

14. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Life is short, and happiness is not a certainty. Grab it while you can.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Is there no fine line? Is there neither happiness nor sadness?

16. mathman Valued Senior Member

You don't know how to spell "consensus".

17. birch Valued Senior Member

happiness that's sought like a drug-induced constant state of elation is abnormal because it can't be sustained over long periods of time. this can interfere with normal functioning or with cognition/critical faculties.

being content or not in extreme levels of mood tend to be a more balanced state of being at most times. it depends on what people mean by happiness. elation as well as deep sadness or depression are at extreme ends of the pole.

but then again, some people are pretty happy (comfy/loving/positive/wistful) most of the time so as long as it doesn't interfere with judgement, i guess that's really good.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  18. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes there is a vegetative state.

19. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

You can be a little happy or a little sad. There is no decisive cut-off point it's too subjective. And what about people that cry when they're happy?

20. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

The only time I cry tears of joy, is when I open a full bottle of bourbon.

It's like Christmas morning, every time.

21. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

I'll drink to that!!

22. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Cheers my friend..:cheers:

23. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

This is pretty much the kind of stupidity I expect out of this field of study that likes to pretend at being science.

How about this consideration: People who are completely and perfectly "normal" are statistically abnormal. Therefore being "normal" is abnormal.

~Raithere