Hands in Prayer

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Orleander, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well you are wrong SAM. It's that simple. Theist evolve too .. just slower

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Slower evolution...interesting.

Whats your field again?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

yeah, that is interesting isn't it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it is. So the faster evolving ones are those who are not adapted to their environment and need to catch up, eh?

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it depends on one's environment. I'm sure you fit just where you should be, and I where I am.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I try to adapt to my environment.

10. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Putting one's hands together to pray is probably meant to show God that your hands aren't busy doing overtime somewhere else. It would be a sin to pray for sex and not show God your hands.

I wonder if some people actually get off on praying, if they do then what would you call it?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Buddhists call it meditating.

12. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

People get their jollies in the strangest ways. Buddhists are merely engaging in satisfying sexual urges. One thing good about mental sex is that it is safe.

13. swarm Registered Senior Member

Meditating is not praying.

A few people really get off on the meditating. A least for Buddhsim that's considered an obstructing distraction. One refucuses on the mditation until it passes. Some adjust their position to make it less comfortable if they have trouble staying focused because of it.

Since many Buddhists have romantic partners, I'm not sure why they would need to have meditation about satisfying sexual urges. Though I suppose the Tibetans have using sexual urges as a meditation.

14. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I don't.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I always wondered if it could perhaps be some lost symbolism of being bound by the hands.

16. John99 Banned Banned

he's concentrating.

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: When I was Catholic, I noticed that people often didn't clasp their hands in prayer like Protestants do. However, my introduction to Catholicism was through a neighborhood Catholic charismatic prayer group. Those people used their hands a lot in prayer like flinging them in the air and the laying on of hands in prayer. I, however, was a more traditional Catholic and found the charismatic style not for me. I think the charismatics really got off to praying and speaking in tongues. I never could get the hang of speaking in tongues, and the members of the prayer group thought that I really didn't fit in because of it. They were right. I didn't. Their idea of praying for someone amounted to nothing more than viscious gossip they spread around in the name of prayer. Talk about 'holier than thou!' I think the use of hands in prayer or even in healing is sensual as in the sense of touch. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Outside of the religious sense, I think touch is healing.

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I've heard that church doors are shaped like praying hands, designed to catch prayers.

What possible use is there in praying when God already knows what you were going to say?

19. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Kadark? Or...I forget the other guy...

Who are you?

20. draqon Banned Banned

what if...our hands act like an antenna to send our messages of prayer from the brain to God?

21. draqon Banned Banned

Adstar. noone else.

22. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I am me. Adstar. never been anyone else in here.

I am wondering why you think i am Kadark?? strange.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

When we said grace or prayed in church we just bowed our heads. But when we said our bedtime prayer, we clapsed our hands.
    I wonder if its a thing parents teach their small kids so they won't fidget, and they always know where their hands are.