Hand gun advice

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That 2 gauge Remington looks awesome!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for your suggestions on revolvers, Chi. I'm considering them. I'm just not experienced with them that much, most of my small hand gun experience is with pistols, I know how to use them well.
    And what I remember from my experience with revolvers wasn't that great.

As a kid I liked a year 1912 small caliber Winchester rifle (a present from my grandfather) and a H&K small machine gun best. The best experience was with a Kalanshnikov heavy machine gun with chain feeding (don't remember the model) that you could shoot only lying on the ground. Man, it was powerful.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Except that's not a Remington: it's a Franchi SPAS-12.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

That would be, at a guess, the PK/ PKM.

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Jericho 941.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Mine is though!

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Ta-daaa notice the similarities.... NOT!

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

My point is that I'd think that more problems could happen with a weapon, if you're trying to something good, rather than without one. I really don't care what he does but I still think it isn't a very good idea and that's only my opinion.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Nice.

And it is as you say, mikenostic, none of the military people I have known over the years have had revolvers as their hand gun of choice, and I trust their choice even if I fully don't know the details.

Well, all except my father with his buddy general who have shiny magnum revolvers, and my father also a Russian Nagan, but that's just for showing off "with a bang" in style.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

In my experience around trained people with guns and knives(trained to use both). It's the knives that cause far more "problems" than the guns. Both are tools and can be misused. In the case of the gun, it just needs to be safely and properly stored to be safe, a handgun has only one use and may be brought out for that use. A knife needs to be used for all kinds of things, hense why there are more injuries.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's not that I'm ignorant, cosmictraveler, I understand the risks both for myself and others.
    I have lived uncought through armed threats using stealth, eyes on the lookout, hiding and swift "getting the hell out of here",
    but I feel that with my video equipment I've become an easier (slower, easier to notice, more profitable) target.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I'm not trying to say that revolvers are total pieces of crap, I just really can't find any advantage to a revolver.
    The only advantage to a revolver is little chance of jamming and it fires slightly truer (how true do you need to fire at 10 meters?).
    And even those advantages don't make up for the advantages of an automatic.
    Handguns nowadays are made so well, that they are extremely reliable. The only reason I'd have a revolver is for a novelty or showpiece.

That actually depends. If he's going into an area that he knows is questionable, then he should exercise situational awareness. Unless it's pitch black, if he's walking through the woods, he can usually see people crouching behind bushes/trees. He can also watch people's body language and tell if they're acting shady or up to no good. Don't let yourself get surrounded, and keep your reaction distance if possible (usually about 6-7 meters).
    How do you think police officers can react so quickly in a situation? Their guns usually aren't drawn, unless they sense something going on.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I agree with their judgement for what they're using it for. But for carrying it with you as personal protection, and not having to worry about it misfeeding, the revolver is definitely something to think about. If a semi-auto misfeeds, you're screwed! With a revolver, a misfire is no big deal ...just pull the trigger again.

But for a carry weapon, the best gun is the one that's small, lightweight and still big enough to do the job of personal protection. For me, that's the Glock Model 26, "Baby Glock", 9mm semi-auto - About $500. My own choice was the Taurus Titainium 38 spl, 5 shot revolver - $250. It's so light that you don't even realize you're carrying it. Wear a gun on your hip or under your arm for a day or so .....and you'll quickly realize that weight is a very, very important issue.

Baron Max

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Of all the Beretta's that I've fired for qualification when I was in the Marines, I never had a misfeed or jam. What kind of pistols have you been firing that jam??

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Precisely! And in close distance you can shoot through your clothes (jacket or coat pocket).
    But it takes some practice and some ruined second hand clothes.

A military body guard once told me that he prepares a gun ready to shoot in his pocket when entering a danger zone in an urban setting, where drawing a hand gun out and visable is not wise and can needlessly alert or cause a nervious stress to the potential attacker that could compel him to attack unpredictably.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And when in the Marines, you cleaned your pistol religiously, didn't you?

A Beretta 9mm, don't recall the Model # .....and one that had been carried in a holster for weeks, months without firing or checking it or cleaning it. My 38spl is so dirty that rats build nests in it ....and it shoots the first time, every time.

But really, this isn't an argument for me ......for me, being a carrier, weight is the biggest, BIGGEST factor of them all. And if no one believes that, try carrying a brick around all day on your hip ...you'll soon see what weight does to you.

Baron Max

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If I give you any good advice, it's .....DON'T CARRY YOUR WEAPON IN A COAT POCKET!!! Use a good quality holster - hip or underarm. Don't, no matter what you do, don't carry your weapon in a coat pocket.

Baron Max

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Relax, I'm not dumb. That trick is for very specific situations.
    And the gun is not resting in the pocket for a moment then anyway, it's in hand.

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

he wants something small and not bulky. a 38 spcial is perfect for him. it is cheaper for start. he is not going to be having shootouts and gun duels. he needs it for minor protection against some local junkies and wierdos.

he should go for something cheaper. he wont require letting of any more than 6 shots a time.

peace.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

or tuck it in your waist.

peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.