Hand gun advice

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've no intention of getting it out of the pocket. I've been trained by military body guards when i was younger.
    I have eyes and ears, thank you. Of course, there's always a chance of somebody sneaking up on me, but I'm not going into a war zone with professionals against me.
    To steal a gun they would need to disable and probably murder me. I don't care that much what happens afterwards. That's no reason for limiting my chances of survival.

No. People do.
    A person can be killed by a single strike of a hand as well, but you don't say that hands kill.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Oh, and thank you all for advices!
    I'll be getting a .40 Beretta Cougar, if I decide to buy a gun.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i told you weapons are needed ages ago remember

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, protecting yourself is not evil. im glad you realise now.

what made you choose a beretta? if you simply have to go for a semi auto, i would suggest either a colt 45 or a glock. my personal choice would be a desert eagle for power. semi automatics are more troublesome than revolvers though. i would choose a revolver over a semi in your situation. your most likely not going to need to have a gunfight exchanging shots, so you dont need to hold lets say 16 in your clip. you are going to use it for self defence reasons, where you most likely wont let off more than a few shots. so a revolver would suit you best.

personaly i would opt for something like a 44 magnum, again for the power. i can handle big calibur guns steadily with the recoil on a reflex. your a rookie and would most likely be better suited to a ruger sp or some little snub nose, like a 38.

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Have you ever even shot a gun?

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You can kill someone with a bowl of jello. Guns just do a better job. I think Avatar is quite capable of handing responsible gun ownership....and with his M/A training he probably would only pull it out if there was no other choice.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My whole childhood! Including heavy machine guns on tripods.
    I said I've grown up among military personel. As a kid I was a rather good shooter, haven't had any practice lately though.

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

agreed, plus some people are more or less immune to it. We had to get sprayed when I was in the Marines for riot control. We knew how it felt, and trained to respond even if we were tagged.

You needn't fire a pistol for it to be effective. Most unarmed people will not mess with someone if they see them carrying a firearm. Would you?

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

If only Bill Clinton would have had M/A training...

12. John99 Banned Banned

That is a good point. We dont know what the conditions are where Avatar lives towards gun ownership or how common it is- target practice and so forth. Very important.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Frankly, Glocks just look ugly!

And Beretta is a good brand of hand guns, many use them as their personal choice.
    I like the firepower/size ratio and the design is cool.

I somehow don't like revolvers and they're bulky. I dislike the bulky bit most. Just a personal preference. But I'll consider your suggestion on revolvers. They're simple and less likely to fail or jam.

I've shot with a few magnum revolvers and a high caliber Luger, I can't handle their recoil well and loose lots on accuracy, too big for me. I'm best with smaller caliber.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not lots. Few people have hand guns - mostly criminals and people in the country who have salvaged some from military bases when the soviets pulled out.
    Also the ol' prototype of a drunken farmer with a rifle hunts our grounds.

To get a gun legally you have to pass gun safety, practice and first aid training, and also pass medical and psychic check up.
    My primary worry is drugged lurkers with salvaged, illegal firearms and an occasional wild boar, dog or wolf.

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

psychic check?

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Umm, they check if you're mentally ill or have any other problems with your psyche that might compel you to act foolishly with a weapon.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Presumably "psychiatric".

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I used to go out and take still photography in many desolate places and lands but never did I carry a weapon. The people I encountered weren't trying to take my equipment, they wanted to know more about it. The animals I encountered, man eaters some of them, never once attacked me. I don't know why you would fear wild animals because they fear man more than man fears them.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

seriously man opt for a revolver, snub noses and other revolvers are not bulky atall. a magnum is at the top of the power range. alot of people cannot handle one perfectly. the ruger sp is a very nice choice. or a 38 special snub nose would be perfect for you.

trust me, dont waste your money on a beretta. get a little snub nose or weaker revolver. .

sp ruger

38 snub nose

peace.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm sure you did all those wonderful things in Latvia.
    We have a terrible drug problem in the country and the junkies don't act reasonably or predictably. A year or so ago three drugged teenagers literaly tore a man with his girlfriend to pieces, some others beat a lone traveler and buried him alive in the woods.

My friend who's a nature photographer and doing bird counting and species observation for a Forestry body under our Ministry of Environment has been attacked several times by wild animals, once a boar and several times by wild dogs.
    I've encountered a few such doggies as well, happily all ended without their teeth in my arms.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

read my last post, trust me aswell.

as i said before you dont need much firepower, a nice little 38 special would be perfect 100% for your situation. it is exactly what this calls for, or if you want something that looks a little better, then lean towards something like the ruger SP, a beautiful tool.

or you could get some powerfull shit that you dont need, and just go all out for looks.

pimp your pistol

lift some feet off the ground.

or screw the pistols, get a remington 12 gauge, up close and personal.

peace.

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

If he gets a gun there is shit all you can do about it. Go lobby for more gun control if you want to feel better.

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

auto > revolver

any day of the week

Ask any police officer or servicemember what they'd rather have.

Don't waste your time listening to him.
    WTF are you talking about? There is nothing wrong with a Beretta. Aside from Sig or H&K, you can't do much better.
    You can bring your revolver to a gunfight and I'll bring my 92FS and I'd be the one walking away.

Av, if you're not worried too much about the compactness, there is no reason to opt for a revolver. For those who do recommend a revolver over an auto; welcome to the 21st century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.