Haiti earthquake

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Syzygys, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Bells Staff Member

Umm could that possibly be because the majority of the infrastructure remained standing in the city? People still had running water and could still use the toilets? Most importantly, the greater majority of the people still had a roof over their heads and food to eat and clean water to drink?

Could that possibly be it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You bring up 9/11, where thousands did die. Haiti is looking at over 100,000 dead, still in rubble throughout the whole area. Not centralised and localised like Manhattan on 9/11. But spread throughout a hell of a wide area. You are also looking at millions of people left homeless with no food, clean water, clothing, medical aid available to them.

9/11, the hospitals were still operating. Haiti, no hospitals aside from the ones that have sprung up on the streets and those lucky enough to get air-lifted to ships for emergency surgery. 9/11, people were not living amongst the corpses. Haiti, people are living amongst tens of thousands of dead and rotting bodies in the rubble, creating a massive risk of disease.

I could go on. But even you should be able to distinguish the difference between the two.

Certainly. Now provide them with the same infrastructure that was still available in New York on 9/11, give them a roof over their heads, give them a proper bed to sleep in, give them safe drinking water and food, and you'd probably see the same thing.

And how exactly should that be?

Should they stop trying to survive and starve to death instead of trying to find food and water for themselves and their loved one's?

Put yourself in their shoes. What exactly would you do if you lost everything you owned, had no home, no food, no water, most, if not all of your family is dead or missing. You're telling me you'd sit quietly by with your hands folded nicely in your lap until help arrived? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't. I'd be out trying to find food and clean water for my children, and if I have to loot to get it, then so be it.

Of course it is. I mean look how civilized your culture is being in Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Cogently and expertly stated.

WillNever, ****** * *** ****** *** *** ****** ****** *** *****.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I have not condemned food stealers. Please go back and read my posts in detail. No more strawmen, no more word games.

Not steal luxury items, rape women, assault children, and run wild in the streets, as many people are surely doing in Haiti.

BELOW: a group of "Hateys" exhibit their desperate survival skills... by stealing electronics from a ruined store, after slitting the owner's throat.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You do realize that thousands of criminals escaped from prison?

8. kira Valued Senior Member

Yea, I have also tried to tell him about this a couple of times, seems he got me on ignore.. :/

Also, besides escaped criminals, there are innocent people like old people, children/babies, woman, injured people, etc., this is a major disaster. I cannot comprehend why he is telling people not to send a single penny to Haiti.. if he doesn't want to send, no one is forcing him anyway..

*Still trying to figure out what's behind the asteriks*

9. Bells Staff Member

There will always be some criminal element in the event of a disaster like this. And the fact that thousands of violent criminals escaped in the earthquake seems to have passed you by.

That does not mean that the majority are stealing luxury items by stealing electronics. The image you posted does not even indicate that. One guy looked as if he had a bag of grain or flour of some sort.

A more factual look at what is going on instead of your gross misrepresentation:

And here is another good article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474293.stm

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't understand what get's into Willnever sometimes

I mean its disaster zone filled with desperate people, it took a long time for them to begin looting etc. At first everyone sat around in a daze trying to help those they could under the rubble and listening to the radio which kept telling them that help was on the way. They waited and waited and waited for the international community to get they assess off the tarmac and then lost their cool. I can't blame them for that. Most of the people are behaving very well and not running amok.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, personally, I think this is just more proof of what I've been saying for decades .....humans suck giant donkey dicks!

It's only the force of arms and the threat of punishment that keeps the human animal in check. Y'all love to talk about how wonderful humans are, yet here's another or many great examples of what they're really like when the force of cops with guns and threat of jail is removed.

Do I think all of them are "bad"? No, of course not. But if left unchecked, without the force of cops with guns and threats of jail, there'd be tons more added to the "bad guys". Soon, without that force of cops, it would devolve into clan or gangs, each fighting the other for a small piece of fruit.

But, hey, these are the people that y'all love so much and place such high value on .......not me. I know what they're like, and I don't want any part of them if I can help it.

Baron Max

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think you should keep your discourse civil.