Gustave-maneating crocodile

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by peta9, Aug 15, 2007.

1. peta9 Registered Senior Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2520815.stm
    The list of people that have been killed and eaten by this croc has been mostly little children or adolescents.

I don't have a problem with conservationists wanting to protect this beast and study it for what?! there is nothing to study except that he should not be breeding to pass on his genes to create more of his kind.

I think they even used a dog in a trap to lure this cunning beast but it wouldn't bite. Like I said if I was the parent of one of the victims of this beast I would have no problem with the conservationists protecting this beast as long as they put one of themselves(LOL) into the trap to catch this beast they admire and want to protect and then take it home and feed it.

If I was the parent who lost a child to this prehistoric nasty shit and I had a chance to kill it, I would. If a conservationist tried to stop me then I would tie that fucker up and throw it in the water to be fed to it like it deserves! After all, it does need another meal to stay alive and the one that wants to protect it should be the first to give up their life!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The gator is doing what gators have been doing forever. If the people living there haven't learned the nature of a gator by now....consider it survival of the fittest with the gator getting rid of the foolish. (and I understand they are children. But dang, even young kids should know not to go near what could EAT them)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yeah well.. think about it man. Who is to blame here, is it:
    1.) The crocodiles that lived there for MILLIONS of years ?
    2.) The dumb shits that chose to go and live in their territory ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

P.S.
    I suggest you add above options to your thread as a poll...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think he'd make one hell of a pair of boots.

8. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Why do people assume this croc is doing what crocs do? And I wouldn't go blaming children or adolescents and labeling them as "dumbshits" or "foolish." The people in the village depend on the water for thier livelihood. I'm sure the children aren't going up to a gator to pet but being ambushed. Only a "fool" would think otherwise. Let's blame all the children for rape and molestation because they didn't see it coming when they possibly couldn't. Same rationalization.

And you're right, it is survival of the fittest especially when it comes down to your life versus another so if anyone of them get a chance to kill it, they would have that right since the croc is a deadly threat to them. It doesn't matter what it's territory is, this croc travels outside of its territory and it's an opportunist. Crocs don't tell themselves they will follow any set rules of engagement, again it's an opportunist, therefore they deserve the same treatment.

Like I said the conservationists have a right to save this croc as long as they put themselves in the trap for their lovin croc.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

then the stupid parents shouldn't be sednign their children for water. That's like a parent sending their child to a known pedophiles house butt naked to get water.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It is not the same generalization, pedephiles do not swim ONLY in rivers right ? There is no place/area that pedophiles are more or less restricted to. The crocs do have such an area, its called water. And then only certain areas of that water.

Btw.. what children are you talking about, the article doesnt mention children. And the article doesnt mention anything about getting water either. The people being eaten are bathers and fishers, and those people are well aware of the existence of Gustav.

"The crocodile is greatly feared by local bathers and fishermen."

"He travels all the way to the areas of Rumonge and Minago and eats fishermen and bathers en route,"

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Some things are not "right" or "wrong," they just "are." That crocodile's luck will not last forever. Eventually some big macho hunter--perhaps an African, perhaps someone else--with ten accomplices and military weapons will make camp in the place and stay there until they kill him (even if he loses five of his crew), then take his remains home as a trophy. If scientists want to preserve him for study, they are going to have to capture him.

This is not a battle the environmentalists can reasonably expect to win. They would have to station a crew there permanently, with enough man- and firepower to run off that hunter.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm familiar with this story, and the people trying to relocate the beast to a more rural area did indeed put their own lives at risk trying to capture it. In any case, it's a reminder that the wild really is wild, especially in Africa.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

They put it back on.